Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The post I was referring to showed the similarities between EJ's first 14 games and how it's better than Tannehill's first 16.

From a comparative standpoint, the argument is: why the pitchforks and torches now, when EJ's ceiling is potentially higher than Tannehill's, and he showed no greater signs at this point in his career than EJ?

You do understand that the people who want EJ to start, want him to start because that's a good way to groom someone into being a franchise quarterback, right? I'm not saying that EJ is the end-all-be-all, but I am saying that it's ludicrous for everyone to give up on him when he's performing on par or better than most franchise QB's at this point in their career.

If the Bills decide to go with Cassel, and we perform in the 10 win range and make the playoffs this year or next because of our defense (and I'm not saying that playing EJ in any way negates making the playoffs), that's great and all - but come 2017 we've got no franchise QB and an aging defense. Oh, the solution is to draft one you say? Well unless it's Andrew Luck he's going to need a few years to figure it out. You have clearly proven that you won't give that guy those years, so now what? Rinse and repeat, I suppose.

At this point in Tannehill's career, he had a second year much better than EJ's second. How could you argue otherwise?

Potential had a shelf life, you know. Playing EJ does not guarantee we'll be in a better position in 2017. In fact, we may be in a worse position. Who knows?

Well that was actually his first year as a true rookie. His second year, he threw for 24 TD's and 17 INT's and almost 4,000 yards. But I think it's pretty clear that Tannehill has hit his ceiling and has no more room to improve. I mean granted, he only started playing the position of QB five years ago but folks, we've seen what he can do. All he does is throw short passes. With Manuel, his ceiling is limitless. I wouldn't trade Manuel for Tannehill right now. I don't want a guy who is guaranteed to never be better than a competent, middle of the pack QB and has hit his ceiling after a mere three years in the league. I like the mystery of the unknown with Manuel. He's big, strong, can move, he's got a rocket for an arm and he's a natural born leader. Hey if "Moron" didn't intentionally ruin him last year, I have no doubt he'd be running away with this QB competition. To me, Tannehill is more Meh than Manuel.

He's doing some victory laps after his hard fought battles.

I just don't get it. First Metz you are embarrassing yourself. This 'trolling' or extreme sarcasm don't fit your normal very good contributions to this board.

Here is what else I don't get. I am probably one of the biggest Cassel bashers here. I just don't see him leading the Bills to anything special. That said he played great during the game. 7 of 8 was a great showing by him. Even the incompletion could have been caught as it wasn't too far off target. TT played well. EJ played well. Why is it so hard for some to give EJ any credit? He played well and threw a beautiful td strike on a rope 50 yards. I thought all 3 qbs played well. Even though I don't care for Cassel I can give him credit for performing well.

So going back a few pages those that asked how we can say that some people want to be right more than anything else. This is why. Give all 3 guys credit. I would wager we couldn't find a single person on this board that doesn't feel better about the qb situation now than they did Friday morning. Isn't it a good thing that all 3 played well and that is making the decision difficult instead of all 3 sucking and the coaches having to figure out which one sucked least?

I just don't get it. First Metz you are embarrassing yourself. This 'trolling' or extreme sarcasm don't fit your normal very good contributions to this board.

Here is what else I don't get. I am probably one of the biggest Cassel bashers here. I just don't see him leading the Bills to anything special. That said he played great during the game. 7 of 8 was a great showing by him. Even the incompletion could have been caught as it wasn't too far off target. TT played well. EJ played well. Why is it so hard for some to give EJ any credit? He played well and threw a beautiful td strike on a rope 50 yards. I thought all 3 qbs played well. Even though I don't care for Cassel I can give him credit for performing well.

So going back a few pages those that asked how we can say that some people want to be right more than anything else. This is why. Give all 3 guys credit. I would wager we couldn't find a single person on this board that doesn't feel better about the qb situation now than they did Friday morning. Isn't it a good thing that all 3 played well and that is making the decision difficult instead of all 3 sucking and the coaches having to figure out which one sucked least?

Every single bit of that is spot on

He's doing some victory laps after his hard fought battles.

Anyone that considers the idea that the team's 1st round pick will wash out as a victory is a fool, and an example of how people like myself would rather be right than see the team win.

Alright I admit it, I was trolling for a couple days there. The EJ debate got the better of me and after the one dude blocked me, I realized I was being kind of juvenile. I will issue one final statement on the matter and then I am taking an oath to not comment on the QB situation until September 13th. I promise.

Here it is:

The EJ defenders on this website are out of control. In fact, this website is not a fair representation of Bills fans in general. If you listen to Buffalo sports talk radio or talk to Bills fans in the real world, it is rare that you find anyone so adamant about defending the guy but for whatever reason it seems like half of you guys are committed to this ridiculous cause.

In the last two days under the guise of a pro-EJ poster, I have not said one single thing that I haven't seen posted on here a hundred times. Marrone intentionally ruined EJ? OC in Buffalo told us all that recently. The Bills organization is responsible for stunting his development and "ruining" him? It's said on here every day. I still have no idea what that means. First they let him play. Then they benched him. I am at a loss. What else were they supposed to do? Is there a third option? EJ has all this potential but Ryan Tannehill has already maxed out even though he only started playing QB five years ago and has improved by leaps and bounds every season? That's like more than half of you. Gugny stated that, contracts aside, he would rather have Ryan Tannehill on his roster than EJ Manuel. Like, he really said that. We're not allowed to even begin to speculate as to whether he can be good or not? I hear that all the time. If I am skeptical about EJ then I am a "hater" and I want to be right about his failure more than I want the Bills to win. OK whatever. "But, but, QB X wasn't very good in his second year..." Ya know what, Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf sucked at this stage in their careers too.

Guys, he's in his third year here. There is no conspiracy against him. It's not Joe B's fault. It's not Doug Marrone's fault. He came into a QB competition with an opportunity to prove me and everyone else wrong and win the job. He has looked the third best so far, period. And then of course, there's the "well one day Cassel looked good and then one day EJ looked good and then one day Taylor looked good, I can't keep track..." crowd. Stop. He has looked the third best. Even John Murphy, the biggest EJ advocate of them all, recently conceded that he doesn't seem to be picking up the offense whereas the other two guys are improving every day. It seems to me that what some of you want is for the Bills to just hand EJ the job because he's younger and unproven and "we know what we have in Cassel." Life doesn't work that way guys. You wanna start over Matt Cassel? Then play better than him. That's it. How well do you think it would sit with the team if they just handed the job to EJ even though everyone in the locker room knew full well that Cassel/Taylor gives them a better chance to beat the Colts on September 13th. If you're Winston or Mariotta, perhaps you get to start over a veteran who might be better right now. But not a guy who was not a great college QB, has clearly regressed since being drafted and quite frankly, should've been drafted in the third round in which case, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It's his third year guys. He's been on the pot for a long time now and nothing's doing.

When he is relegated to third string or cut, I'm not going to exclaim "I told you so" because I never told anyone anything. I just said I thought it was less than likely that he would develop into a franchise QB. I still think that. I think it's plainly obvious. I just can't believe how many of you disagree(d). I don't have time to waste waiting around for a guy to develop who has shown zero indication that he's going to develop. I just ask that if Matt Cassel is the starter week 1 that you guys get behind him, stop with this childish "Meh" thing and let's unite as Bills fans and stop this bickering. And if Cassel performs poorly in the regular season, you are not allowed to emerge back out of thee woodwork and start with your EJ crusade again because that's the guy he couldn't beat out in the first place.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Alright I admit it, I was trolling for a couple days there. The EJ debate got the better of me and after the one dude blocked me, I realized I was being kind of juvenile. I will issue one final statement on the matter and then I am taking an oath to not comment on the QB situation until September 13th. I promise.

Here it is:

The EJ defenders on this website are out of control.

Are you serious ? Please point out said 'EJ Defenders' and what makes their support 'out of control' .

Wasn't your original post that started this whole thread completely sarcastic?

And that makes eball 'out of control' how ?

Here it is:

The EJ defenders on this website are out of control. In fact, this website is not a fair representation of Bills fans in general. If you listen to Buffalo sports talk radio or talk to Bills fans in the real world, it is rare that you find anyone so adamant about defending the guy but for whatever reason it seems like half of you guys are committed to this ridiculous cause.

In the last two days under the guise of a pro-EJ poster, I have not said one single thing that I haven't seen posted on here a hundred times. Marrone intentionally ruined EJ? OC in Buffalo told us all that recently. The Bills organization is responsible for stunting his development and "ruining" him? It's said on here every day. I still have no idea what that means. First they let him play. Then they benched him. I am at a loss. What else were they supposed to do? Is there a third option? EJ has all this potential but Ryan Tannehill has already maxed out even though he only started playing QB five years ago and has improved by leaps and bounds every season? That's like more than half of you. Gugny stated that, contracts aside, he would rather have Ryan Tannehill on his roster than EJ Manuel. Like, he really said that. We're not allowed to even begin to speculate as to whether he can be good or not? I hear that all the time. If I am skeptical about EJ then I am a "hater" and I want to be right about his failure more than I want the Bills to win. OK whatever. "But, but, QB X wasn't very good in his second year..." Ya know what, Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf sucked at this stage in their careers too.

Guys, he's in his third year here. There is no conspiracy against him. It's not Joe B's fault. It's not Doug Marrone's fault. He came into a QB competition with an opportunity to prove me and everyone else wrong and win the job. He has looked the third best so far, period. And then of course, there's the "well one day Cassel looked good and then one day EJ looked good and then one day Taylor looked good, I can't keep track..." crowd. Stop. He has looked the third best. Even John Murphy, the biggest EJ advocate of them all, recently conceded that he doesn't seem to be picking up the offense whereas the other two guys are improving every day. It seems to me that what some of you want is for the Bills to just hand EJ the job because he's younger and unproven and "we know what we have in Cassel." Life doesn't work that way guys. You wanna start over Matt Cassel? Then play better than him. That's it. How well do you think it would sit with the team if they just handed the job to EJ even though everyone in the locker room knew full well that Cassel/Taylor gives them a better chance to beat the Colts on September 13th. If you're Winston or Mariotta, perhaps you get to start over a veteran who might be better right now. But not a guy who was not a great college QB, has clearly regressed since being drafted and quite frankly, should've been drafted in the third round in which case, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It's his third year guys. He's been on the pot for a long time now and nothing's doing.

When he is relegated to third string or cut, I'm not going to exclaim "I told you so" because I never told anyone anything. I just said I thought it was less than likely that he would develop into a franchise QB. I still think that. I think it's plainly obvious. I just can't believe how many of you disagree(d). I don't have time to waste waiting around for a guy to develop who has shown zero indication that he's going to develop. I just ask that if Matt Cassel is the starter week 1 that you guys get behind him, stop with this childish "Meh" thing and let's unite as Bills fans and stop this bickering. And if Cassel performs poorly in the regular season, you are not allowed to emerge back out of thee woodwork and start with your EJ crusade again because that's the guy he couldn't beat out in the first place.

The "Meh" krap reminds me of kids going through puberty. it was funny once or twice.I give any player scrub or superstar in the NFL credit. Because they are actually playing the game. instead of like me a anonymous blogger on a fan site. One of hundreds in the NFL fanbases.

But, your recent 180 fooled very few people besides a couple of EJ homers. i wish the kid luck wherever he lands next year. because the chances of him figuring it out in the next 2-3 weeks are slim too none. IMO.

Are you serious ? Please point out said 'EJ Defenders' and what makes their support 'out of control' .

And that makes eball 'out of control' how ?

I'm one of them. I have said that I'm rooting for EJ and that I thought there was a 50.1% chance he'd be our opening day starter in 2016. I also said that it's perfectly reasonable for people to have a different opinion, but just find it odd how a few people go out of their way to bring up how unsuccessful they think he'll be...in unrelated topics...quite often.

Pretty damning stuff.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I don't even know what you're talking about.

Feelings are mutual

I'm one of them. I have said that I'm rooting for EJ and that I thought there was a 50.1% chance he'd be our opening day starter in 2016. I also said that it's perfectly reasonable for people to have a different opinion, but just find it odd how people go out of their way to bring up how unsuccessful they think he'll be...in unrelated topics...quite often.

Pretty damning stuff.

Well thanx for telling me that now and making me look like an a$$.