EJ as Evaluated by FSU fans - Caution: pretty brutal

moshermw

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's those floaters they reference that got him benched last season. He kept hanging his receivers out to dry--almost getting them killed.

As much as EJ is discussed (both good and bad) on this board, the above could be the most disturbing part of his game. Most fans tend to look mainly at stats, especially those ready to defend EJ at any and all cost.

It's a shame too, because the man does have all the physical attributes necessary to be an NFL quarterback.

Well, gang, this preseason we'll get a chance to see if any of EJ's shortcomings have been mitigated through his offseason work and his experience watching from the sidelines last year. Despite what some say he hasn't been horrible in camp (certainly not like last year), but the only thing that matters is when the "lights come on" in a real game.

I still don't know why any Bills fan isn't rooting for the guy.

yeah i think we got it by now after 2 years with the guy, he's probably not the answer, at least not for this coaching staff. true franchise guy hasn't come out since Luck. lets move on. I would rather have multi threat TT/awesome run game/defense/STeams ; Sammy won't like it, but who cares; lets go win some games. is what it is. tough to find a top 10 QB. go bills.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Pretty much summarizes my opinion. I watch most FSU games being in Florida, and I KNEW the EJ pick was impossibly stupid the moment it happened.

It was even more stupid for the Bills FO to not have a QB coach in EJ's rookie season. Shoot, they even ended up having no veteran QB on the roster either so it was three young QB's learning the NFL ropes from a college puke OC who had very limited NFL experience himself. .having only one NFL season as offensive quality control..whatever that job entails.

I'm not sure that any of this is fair. He only played in 43 games at FSU. I just don't think that it's enough time to evaluate.

Awesome use of the sarcastic sports excuse machine.. :worthy:

I don't usually subscribe to sports message board analysts but when I do -- the first assessment in the original post is pretty much spot on...in College its about physical talent in the pros physical talent is a given and the ability to play the position with anticipation (route anticipation. rush anticipation, audible anticipation) is the differentiator. Stay thirsty for a good QB my friends.

Didn't Doug Whaley go to Fla to personally scout EJ, as I seem to recall he said he did.

Anyway, here is Buffalo Rumblings report on EJ. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/21/4234106/ej-manuel-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report

"Manuel needs lots of time to grow into a quarterback. Right now, he's an athlete playing quarterback. He needs to go to a team with a stable front office and coaching situation where he can develop at a slower pace. He can't run a NFL offense right now without significantly watering down the offense, or tailoring the offense the way Fisher did at Florida State."

"A team that takes Manuel needs to have a long-term development plan. A team that does so could have a quarterback like Colin Kaepernick... or, if they rush him to the field, Tim Tebow."

Thrown into the fire by Doug Maroon, and his sidekick Mr Can't Hackett.

It's those floaters they reference that got him benched last season. He kept hanging his receivers out to dry--almost getting them killed.

As much as EJ is discussed (both good and bad) on this board, the above could be the most disturbing part of his game. Most fans tend to look mainly at stats, especially those ready to defend EJ at any and all cost.It's a shame too, because the man does have all the physical attributes necessary to be an NFL quarterback.

I keep coming back to this point about EJ. You can ask your WRs, TEs and RBs to deal with getting hung out to dry for a few games if, say, your back up QB has to come in for a few weeks while your starting QB recovers from injury. They should be expected to be able to deal with that, but you can't ask them to do it for 16 games (plus maybe playoffs). You just can't.

From a college board - all teams - in general very critically thinking fans:

1. Bills saw a 6'5 guy with great character, personality, and work ethic and failed to notice he was not a QB worth drafting anywhere near that high. EJ is a great guy and played for my team but I said at the time he was a guaranteed bust, was shocked any professionals could watch his tape and see a 1st rd pick. His biggest problems weren't really ones you can dramatically improve. Yoy either have good timing, anticipation, and feel for the gane or you don't. A QB with horrible anticipation, timing, and ability to read a defense in college is not someone you draft on day 1. EJ would wait until a WR made his break and was open and stationary before he would throw it. The very first game Jameis played it was night and day, Jameis anticipated and threw before guys even broke. WRs didn't have to wait on the ball because of an EJ floater or late throw. Not everyone is Winston, but EJ had god awful timing and anticipation. Jameis could also read a defense, see the field, and knew where his WRs were supposed to be 10 times better in game 1/as a FR than EJ as a Sr. I don't think EJ always knew where everyone was supposed to be which is why he had to wait until they were there to throw it. Jameis knew where people were supposed to be so he was anle to anticipate better. EJ is a smart guy but I don't think he was football smart.

2. I'm a Nole and will never understand how they saw tape of EJ and thought he was first rd much less a top 15 talent. Dude had horrible timing on his passes, couldn't even read a college defense, threw floaters, constantly spun away 10 yards to turn a 10 yard sack into a 20 yard sack, couldn't go through his progressions, etc x 10.

God damn you hit this **** right on the head. Him getting drafted in the first round will probably go down as one of the biggest WTF moments in the history of the NFL draft. I literally laughed when he was drafted. Look, nice guy, represented our school with class and all that jazz, but he was horrendous. He was absolutely the governor on that 2012 team. Had we started Winston over him, I have no doubt we atleast make the national championship game and probably win it. That 2012 team was just as loaded as 2013.

3. EJ could never hit the broad side of a barn! That's why he never played for a NC at FSU. Jameis took the very same roster EJ had and won a Heisman and a NC as a Freshman! I was shocked to see EJ get drafted in the first round after continually over throwing every WR for 4 years.

4. Just to reiterate what fellow Noles are saying ITT, I was floored when EJ was taken 15th overall. All those guys with alleged great FB minds looked at the tape of his career and thought he was the answer. It fvcking amazes me that multiple people signed off on that pick. What a disaster. Just a great kid that has slow eyes and no killer instinct. How does that happen?

i did not cherry pick a thread on our QB situation. There's much more here: http://forums.rivals.com/threads/holy-****-ej-manuel-is-a-waste-of-space.185328/#post-4622295

You will never see VT fans talk this way about Tyrod.

In fairness, FSU fans are spoiled by 5-star talent and feel entitled to win more than most fan bases - not necessarily a bad thing - just is.

Because VT fans were LOYAL!! Michael Vick couldnt read defenses or hit the "broad side of a barn", but still made it in the NFL. As far as the NC, Jon Gruden won the SB with the team Tony Dungy built. Are you telling me Dungy couldn't coach? Greg Roman and Mike Mayock said EJ was a piece of clay to mold. Buddy Nix basically said the same thing when they drafted him. Who knew Kevin Kolb would lose his bout with a rubber mat. EJ Manuel did win 3 ACC Championships while he was at your school which is quite an accomplishment. The clay is in Picasso's hands now, let him mold it!!

I don't like the way EJ throws but probably not much different than the other two guys we have overall. All 3 have some weaknesses. I hope Taylor wins out just because I have not seen him play but maybe EJ can pick up his game as physically he looks the part?

Since we're critiquing EJs play in college, go watch Tyrod's