EJ as Evaluated by FSU fans - Caution: pretty brutal

moshermw

I can name a SB winning QB from FSU

I said "Quality". I don't think anyone would consider Brad Johnson quality. Defense won that game in addition to the Raiders throwing it.

As for Cal QB's before Rodgers?

Craig Morton, Steve Bartkowski, and Boller. Boller maybe not so much quality. Had some good years in Baltimore. Still better than any bust FSU has produced recently.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you called it:

Ah pride. It goeth before the fall.

Nowhere did I mention Wilson, nor am I insinuating as much. But because you're incapable of debating the facts, you fall back on demogoguery.

There is no non-sequitur, as Buffalo's current QB conundrum is a result of what transpired in 2011-12 and perhaps the 2014 draft.

From a college board - all teams - in general very critically thinking fans:

1. Bills saw a 6'5 guy with great character, personality, and work ethic and failed to notice he was not a QB worth drafting anywhere near that high. EJ is a great guy and played for my team but I said at the time he was a guaranteed bust, was shocked any professionals could watch his tape and see a 1st rd pick. His biggest problems weren't really ones you can dramatically improve. Yoy either have good timing, anticipation, and feel for the gane or you don't. A QB with horrible anticipation, timing, and ability to read a defense in college is not someone you draft on day 1. EJ would wait until a WR made his break and was open and stationary before he would throw it. The very first game Jameis played it was night and day, Jameis anticipated and threw before guys even broke. WRs didn't have to wait on the ball because of an EJ floater or late throw. Not everyone is Winston, but EJ had god awful timing and anticipation. Jameis could also read a defense, see the field, and knew where his WRs were supposed to be 10 times better in game 1/as a FR than EJ as a Sr. I don't think EJ always knew where everyone was supposed to be which is why he had to wait until they were there to throw it. Jameis knew where people were supposed to be so he was anle to anticipate better. EJ is a smart guy but I don't think he was football smart.

2. I'm a Nole and will never understand how they saw tape of EJ and thought he was first rd much less a top 15 talent. Dude had horrible timing on his passes, couldn't even read a college defense, threw floaters, constantly spun away 10 yards to turn a 10 yard sack into a 20 yard sack, couldn't go through his progressions, etc x 10.

God damn you hit this **** right on the head. Him getting drafted in the first round will probably go down as one of the biggest WTF moments in the history of the NFL draft. I literally laughed when he was drafted. Look, nice guy, represented our school with class and all that jazz, but he was horrendous. He was absolutely the governor on that 2012 team. Had we started Winston over him, I have no doubt we atleast make the national championship game and probably win it. That 2012 team was just as loaded as 2013.

3. EJ could never hit the broad side of a barn! That's why he never played for a NC at FSU. Jameis took the very same roster EJ had and won a Heisman and a NC as a Freshman! I was shocked to see EJ get drafted in the first round after continually over throwing every WR for 4 years.

4. Just to reiterate what fellow Noles are saying ITT, I was floored when EJ was taken 15th overall. All those guys with alleged great FB minds looked at the tape of his career and thought he was the answer. It fvcking amazes me that multiple people signed off on that pick. What a disaster. Just a great kid that has slow eyes and no killer instinct. How does that happen?

i did not cherry pick a thread on our QB situation. There's much more here: http://forums.rivals.com/threads/holy-****-ej-manuel-is-a-waste-of-space.185328/#post-4622295

You will never see VT fans talk this way about Tyrod.

In fairness, FSU fans are spoiled by 5-star talent and feel entitled to win more than most fan bases - not necessarily a bad thing - just is.

Well obviously this harsh criticism proved to be wrong.I for one am happy EJ is our starting QB.

I think a wet mat had some help in that matter. I doubt it was the Saint's intention to have EJ start his rookie year.

Now that was funny. Only guy I know who was forced to leave the game cuz of a floor mat. And here I am looking down for snakes. What was I thinking? Watch out for those dangerous floor mats.

Ah pride. It goeth before the fall.

Nowhere did I mention Wilson, nor am I insinuating as much. But because you're incapable of debating the facts, you fall back on demogoguery.

There is no non-sequitur, as Buffalo's current QB conundrum is a result of what transpired in 2011-12 and perhaps the 2014 draft.

In my entire time on this board I've never come up against such an obtuse response to a topic in my life.

I refuse to believe that you cannot understand what I wrote, so all that's left is willful ignorance, to which I say: I responded in plain English, even pointing out why your response was totally uncalled for and borderline stupid. I can help you no further from here.

Anyone with even a scintilla of reading comprehension can tell, as I've now pointed out to you 3 times, that I based my entire point on the premise that the team hadn't drafted a QB high in nearly a decade. For reasons beyond my understanding, you wan to skip right over that and pretend I ignored it. I won't bother asking why, because I'm afraid you'll actually have an answer.

Edited by thebandit27

This whole debate is just how it works when you don't have a QB.

Whoever the most "established" not good enough guy is will get a core of intense support from people who will fight you tooth and nail if they think you are attacking their guy, and will never accept any amount of evidence that shows that he isn't good enough. It will always be that he didn't get the right coaching, the right support from fans, the right meals in the dining hall, he picked the wrong town to live in, or just the old standby: the offensive line stunk!

The Flat Earth Society on here once shouted down anyone who DARED to say that Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't any good. Well, as he suits up for his 4th team in as many years because everyone lets him walk after they see him play the results are in: he isn't any good. Even still, there are some on here who cry and just want their Fitzy back, but luckily most have sobered up on that nonsense.

As far as EJ goes, he just hasn't been any good and he's going into year #3. It's plain to see to anyone who isn't invested in him because they are Bills fans. The original post is exactly what we've seen in his two seasons in the NFL.

This whole debate is just how it works when you don't have a QB.

Whoever the most "established" not good enough guy is will get a core of intense support from people who will fight you tooth and nail if they think you are attacking their guy, and will never accept any amount of evidence that shows that he isn't good enough. It will always be that he didn't get the right coaching, the right support from fans, the right meals in the dining hall, he picked the wrong town to live in, or just the old standby: the offensive line stunk!

The Flat Earth Society on here once shouted down anyone who DARED to say that Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't any good. Well, as he suits up for his 4th team in as many years because everyone lets him walk after they see him play the results are in: he isn't any good. Even still, there are some on here who cry and just want their Fitzy back, but luckily most have sobered up on that nonsense.

As far as EJ goes, he just hasn't been any good and he's going into year #3. It's plain to see to anyone who isn't invested in him because they are Bills fans. The original post is exactly what we've seen in his two seasons in the NFL.

I know that there is a need and hunger by some here to be right and to close the book today on EJ. But there has not even been one preseason game yet. In the one game where it was as close to a game as possible EJ was clearly the best QB, or did I miss something? I remember last year when it was well documented that EJ crapped the bed during training camp and yet he looked pretty darn good in those first two games with the first game winning on the road against the Bears.

Am I the only one who thinks burying EJ today is just a tad premature? He will get a shot again this year even if he doesn't win the job. I think Cassel is eventually going to get injured behind our line and Taylor will end up getting hurt as well considering how much he runs. This EJ story isn't officially over until he proves he sucks in real games this year. I've come to the conclusion that EJ's only ceiling left just might be that of a poor mans McNabb, inconsistent and inaccurate ball throwing skills yet with a pretty deep ball while having a knack for making plays with his arms and legs in crunch time. It's been very disappointing to see EJ not take that big step forward. My one hope left is that our defense is the reason why all three QBs in general have looked very bad.

Here we go again I guess...

Major points in this thread:

EJ hangs his receivers out to dry. Peyton hung Emmanuel Sanders out to dry against the Rams. Seriously take a look at the play he gets destroyed. It happened against the Bills too and the Bills got a ridiculous penalty.

EJ should have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th. Mike Mayock had him a late first rounder.

EJ has terrible accuracy. Do you know that EJ had a better completion % as a rookie than Dan Marino? Too old school for you? How about a better comp% than Matt Stafford in 3 of his first 5 seasons. Too many injuries for you? How about a better comp % than Ryan Tannehill who many seem to love all of a sudden. How about a better comp % than the first 4 seasons of Eli Manning's career?

EJ will never be good. Eli Manning was terrible for the first 4 years of his career. 64 ints in the first 4 years bad. Drew Brees was so bad after 3 years the Chargers had the #1 pick and drafted Phillip Rivers. He threw 29 tds to 31 ints.

So what is the point to posting all of this? We all and I mean ALL have no idea what will happen with EJ. Here is what we do know. By all accounts he is a great guy and teammate. He was drafted to be the qb of the future. He works extremely hard on improving. He plays for our favorite team. Why in the world do people need to trash him? Why do people need to proclaim he won't be good?

I know that there is a need and hunger by some here to be right and to close the book today on EJ. But there has not even been one preseason game yet. In the one game where it was as close to a game as possible EJ was clearly the best QB, or did I miss something? I remember last year when it was well documented that EJ crapped the bed during training camp and yet he looked pretty darn good in those first two games with the first game winning on the road against the Bears.

Am I the only one who thinks burying EJ today is just a tad premature? He will get a shot again this year even if he doesn't win the job. I think Cassel is eventually going to get injured behind our line and Taylor will end up getting hurt as well considering how much he runs. This EJ story isn't officially over until he proves he sucks in real games this year. I've come to the conclusion that EJ's only ceiling left just might be that of a poor mans McNabb, inconsistent and inaccurate ball throwing skills yet with a pretty deep ball while having a knack for making plays with his arms and legs in crunch time. It's been very disappointing to see EJ not take that big step forward. My one hope left is that our defense is the reason why all three QBs in general have looked very bad.

FWIW I think the O line is going to be a lot better than last year, therefor Cassel will be just fine.

EJ hangs his receivers out to dry. Peyton hung Emmanuel Sanders out to dry against the Rams. Seriously take a look at the play he gets destroyed. It happened against the Bills too and the Bills got a ridiculous penalty.

EJ should have been drafted in the 3rd or 4th. Mike Mayock had him a late first rounder.

EJ has terrible accuracy. Do you know that EJ had a better completion % as a rookie than Dan Marino? Too old school for you? How about a better comp% than Matt Stafford in 3 of his first 5 seasons. Too many injuries for you? How about a better comp % than Ryan Tannehill who many seem to love all of a sudden. How about a better comp % than the first 4 seasons of Eli Manning's career?

EJ will never be good. Eli Manning was terrible for the first 4 years of his career. 64 ints in the first 4 years bad. Drew Brees was so bad after 3 years the Chargers had the #1 pick and drafted Phillip Rivers. He threw 29 tds to 31 ints.

So what is the point to posting all of this? We all and I mean ALL have no idea what will happen with EJ. Here is what we do know. By all accounts he is a great guy and teammate. He was drafted to be the qb of the future. He works extremely hard on improving. He plays for our favorite team. Why in the world do people need to trash him? Why do people need to proclaim he won't be good?

I'm sure there are some reasonable people who are simply unhappy we don't have an established franchise qb to go with a team that otherwise could be a Super Bowl favorite. Others believe he was overdrafted and are still angry about it. The overwhelming negativity, however, disgusts me. I really think it's contemptible.

I agree with Section122 on a lot of this - especially the part I bolded.

I am a fan of anyone who wears the Red, White and Blue of the Buffalo Bills.

Whatever shortcomings in their game, I hope they overcome them.

I also think it's odd people criticize the pick. A vocal group of fans wants us to draft a QB every year until we get it right. Nix/Whaley drafted a QB. Some believed he was the best QB that year. Was he worth a first round pick? Good question, but he wouldn't have still been on the board if we had waited until the second round. To get the highest rated that QB, we had to roll the dice at #1. Drafting QBs is always a crapshoot.

I don't KNOW if EJ will ever be good but... Jim Plunkett, big college star, started for 6 years for the Pats. By the end of his time there, almost everyone agreed the guy could be a good backup in the league but was not a franchise QB. He just didn't have NFL skills.

In his 9th year in the NFL, Plunkett was backing up the great Dan Pastorini in Oakland. When Pastorini got hurt, Plunkett had the best year of his career and led the Raiders to the SB where he was named MVP.

Some QBs are late bloomers. They continue to improve their skill set during the NFL careers until they're finally good. No one KNOWS if EJ will continue to improve or not. No one can KNOW.

Edited by hondo in seattle