EJ as Evaluated by FSU fans - Caution: pretty brutal

moshermw

Because as more tape comes out, he'll be even more horrific.

Maybe he will maybe he won't. I'm willing to give him time. If he earns the starting gig, great, if not, so be it, he can learn from the sidelines. Not sure why there is so much crap directed at him other than it's the internet and that's what people do.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he will maybe he won't. I'm willing to give him time. If he earns the starting gig, great, if not, so be it, he can learn from the sidelines. Not sure why there is so much crap directed at him other than it's the internet and that's what people do.

He gets crap because he's not good. That's been how sporting events have worked since they were invented.

Would you sign EJ to another contract?

He gets crap because he's not good. That's been how sporting events have worked since they were invented.

Yes I would sign EJ to another contract.I'm a huge EJ fan .I think there is plenty of upside here.I think the dumbest thing I heard this preseason was Whaley making the statement the we are on QB purgatory.Great way to show confidence in your players,call them out in the media.

Edited by Very wide right

So what is the point to posting all of this? We all and I mean ALL have no idea what will happen with EJ. Here is what we do know. By all accounts he is a great guy and teammate. He was drafted to be the qb of the future. He works extremely hard on improving. He plays for our favorite team. Why in the world do people need to trash him? Why do people need to proclaim he won't be good?

If you can't see the forest between the trees then not much any of us can say. Name the last QB that was wildly inconsistent inaccurate and unable to do full progressions that all of sudden mastered them? Sure QB's struggle but they demonstrate those traits way more than EJ has to date

I've pulled for the guy, but I am saying it again, he'll never be a consistent starting QB he will at best be a good backup in this league, his inaccruacy miss timing and inability to see the full field are not correctable. You can not teach those traits, you can hone those skills but you can't implant them all of sudden

I suspect EJ will have a couple great practices but will have equally bad practices for the rest of camp. He may put together a decent preseason game or 2 but will also make us scream in agony

Edited by shibuya

If you can't see the forest between the trees then not much any of us can say. Name the last QB that was wildly inconsistent inaccurate and unable to do full progressions that all of sudden mastered them? Sure QB's struggle but they demonstrate those traits way more than EJ has to date

I've pulled for the guy, but I am saying it again, he'll never be a consistent starting QB he will at best be a good backup in this league, his inaccruacy miss timing and inability to see the full field are not correctable. You can not teach those traits, you can hone those skills but you can't implant them all of sudden

I suspect EJ will have a couple great practices but will have equally bad practices for the rest of camp. He may put together a decent preseason game or 2 but will also make us scream in agony

Go check film on Brady during his first 10 games.Good thing he had support from the team cause it wasn't pretty at times.He is now the most celebrated quarterback.Give EJ time.

Yes I would sign EJ to another contract.I'm a huge EJ fan .I think there is plenty of upside here.I think the dumbest thing I heard this preseason was Whaley making the statement the we are on QB purgatory.Great way to show confidence in your players,call them out in the media.

I think the dumbest thing I've heard is people blasting Whaley for saying something he didn't say.

He referenced "purgatory" with regard to draft position; as in: "We're too good a team such that we won't lose enough games to pick in the top 10, where you normally get a QB. That makes it tougher to get a top-flight QB prospect in the draft."

Why sign him to another contract? He has two years remaining on this one. It's a rookie deal, is relatively cheap and if he pans out you give him another one. If not you say "goodbye and good luck."

And he's not bad either. For a young QB he's about where most of them are. The problem is that there have been a few really good QBs in the past several years and everybody wants that and has no patience to wait and see if the light goes on with the kid.

Go check film on Brady during his first 10 games.Good thing he had support from the team cause it wasn't pretty at times.He is now the most celebrated quarterback.Give EJ time.

Brady demonstrated accuracy and ability to read the field in College..

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Analysis Strengths Physically imposing passer. Throws from the shotgun often, but is also effective on play action. Flashes the velocity to stretch the field and throw in tight spaces. Displays good touch on throws to each level of the field, finds receivers between defenders and drop passes over their head. Good athlete with the mobility to step up in the pocket to avoid pressure and take advantage of openings to pick up first downs with his feet. Quick release, though it often looks as though he's throwing darts on shorter throws. Intelligent, high character team leader.
Weaknesses Gives opponents too many chances for turnovers by forcing throws into coverage trying to make a play. Area code accuracy -- short throws are often low or wide, preventing receivers from making a play after the catch. Deep ball accuracy is uneven as well. Gets happy feet under pressure, spins to the outside to avoid the rush. Inconsistent recognizing blitz. Must step into his throws more consistently to fully utilize his arm strength. NFL Comparison Blaine Gabbert Bottom Line As gifted as any quarterback in the class, with a strong arm and good mobility. Scouts appreciate his leadership qualities and toughness (played through his mom's cancer treatments and a broken leg in 2011's Champs Sports Bowl win over Notre Dame), and hope he can improve on his consistency. Manuel has the velocity and mobility teams look for in a project quarterback.

I said young QB's struggle but those traits that EJ is lacking can not be taught they are either in your DNA and you can hone them or they are not. and no matter how hard you work they will not suddenly appear

You'll see. It will play itself out

Edited by shibuya

Why sign him to another contract? He has two years remaining on this one. It's a rookie deal, is relatively cheap and if he pans out you give him another one. If not you say "goodbye and good luck."

And he's not bad either. For a young QB he's about where most of them are. The problem is that there have been a few really good QBs in the past several years and everybody wants that and has no patience to wait and see if the light goes on with the kid.

Right...there's no benefit to cutting him this year--actually it costs you cap room.

He'll be here this year barring a trade. If he doesn't win the job this year, they'll cut him after the start of the new league year to save a little over $2M in cap space next year.

I said young QB's struggle but those traits that EJ is lacking can not be taught they are either in your DNA and you can hone them or they are not. and no matter how hard you work they will not suddenly appear

Being able to read a D can't be taught? He can't improve at it with experience? Yeah, I respectfully disagree.

Reading a D is not in your DNA, it might come easier to some guys than others but that doesn't mean he can't learn to do it and do it at a high level. Accuracy is directly connected to comfort and footwork - both of which can be gained with experience.

And it's not a matter of "I'll see." Odds are most QBs don't pan out it doesn't make you a soothsayer to say, "this guy won't be good" as that's generally what happens. I'm not even claiming EJ will be good, I'm just saying give the kid a chance and if he fails then so be it. Not sure why there's so much vitriol towards him.

Brady's completion percentage was 62% in college, EJ's was 67.

Just pointing out the facts. I think right now EJ has an accuracy problem, too. I just don't know if he can fix it or not yet.

I think the dumbest thing I've heard is people blasting Whaley for saying something he didn't say.

He referenced "purgatory" with regard to draft position; as in: "We're too good a team such that we won't lose enough games to pick in the top 10, where you normally get a QB. That makes it tougher to get a top-flight QB prospect in the draft."

How could we be "too good a team" ? didn't we just set a league record for missing the playoffs?Also, GMs don't mention QB purgatory unless they feel a QB is a pressing need.

Some QBs are late bloomers. They continue to improve their skill set during the NFL careers until they're finally good. No one KNOWS if EJ will continue to improve or not. No one can KNOW.

That will be news to the majority of posters here.

Brady's completion percentage was 62% in college, EJ's was 67.

Just pointing out the facts. I think right now EJ has an accuracy problem, too. I just don't know if he can fix it or not yet.

look at the scouting report. Brady played for Michigan. EJ had a simplified playbook on a College Championship quality team

I'll say it again. YOU WILL SEE FOR YOURSELF. I already have. You can't teach EJ the skills he was not born with. I mean for god sake his scouting report says "Area Code Accuracy". EJ was born with size arm strength intelligence and has a charismatic personality. Accuracy ability to progress through reads fast and see the field unfortunately is not in his make up

All me an you can do is sit back and watch the tale unfold on its own. I do not believe he can suddenly develop the skills we are all looking for. If he does I will be pleasantly surprised, but as of now I have 0 faith he will suddenly "get It"

Edited by shibuya

How could we be "too good a team" ? didn't we just set a league record for missing the playoffs?Also, GMs don't mention QB purgatory unless they feel a QB is a pressing need.

First off, listen to the interview, since what I told you is what Whaley was saying.

Second, what he meant (again), is that this team isn't going to finish 4-12; they are too talented for that (as evidenced by the fact that they have only picked in the top 5 twice in their 15-year playoff drought).

There's no mystery to the "purgatory" comment...he acknowledged many times that they don't have a guy that they know is a franchise QB, and are still looking. He went on to say that their likely draft position will put them in QB purgatory because they won't be picking high enough to get one of the top prospects.

look at the scouting report. Brady played for Michigan. EJ had a simplified playbook on a College Championship quality team

I'll say it again. YOU WILL SEE FOR YOURSELF. I already have. You can't teach EJ the skills he was not born with. I mean for god sake his scouting report says "Area Code Accuracy". EJ was born with size arm strength intelligence and has a charismatic personality. Accuracy ability to progress through reads fast and see the field unfortunately is not in his make up

All me an you can do is sit back and watch the tale unfold on its own. I do not believe he can suddenly develop the skills we are all looking for. If he does I will be pleasantly surprised, but as of now I have 0 faith he will suddenly "get It"

If you knew anything about his college career you would know that he was not asked to go through progressions all the way across the field. The offense was designed to only play to half. So you cannot say he cannot do it or didn't do it because of lack of ability, he did what he was coached to do. It's one of the main reasons why all scouting reports said he was raw. He wasn't asked to do it and he would be in the pros and it would take him some time to get up to speed.

We have to remember that we needed a QB and there wasn't much out there in that draft in foresight. I watched EJ as an FSU fan and he's still the same. He can win some with his legs but lose them with his arm and bone-head decisions.

BTW FSU took a few years off to make the Gators feel better. How they doing now? Oh yeah...

Details are not your strong suit. Despite Bandit's attempt to explain to you twice what Whaley really said, you ignore it because it doesn't fit your trolling playbook.

We have to remember that we needed a QB and there wasn't much out there in that draft in foresight. I watched EJ as an FSU fan and he's still the same. He can win some with his legs but lose them with his arm and bone-head decisions.

BTW FSU took a few years off to make the Gators feel better. How they doing now? Oh yeah...

Be careful...I made that point two pages ago and was told that no, in fact, in 2013 we should've retroactively drafted a QB from either 2011 or 2012.