EJ as Evaluated by FSU fans - Caution: pretty brutal

moshermw

From a college board - all teams - in general very critically thinking fans:

1. Bills saw a 6'5 guy with great character, personality, and work ethic and failed to notice he was not a QB worth drafting anywhere near that high. EJ is a great guy and played for my team but I said at the time he was a guaranteed bust, was shocked any professionals could watch his tape and see a 1st rd pick. His biggest problems weren't really ones you can dramatically improve. Yoy either have good timing, anticipation, and feel for the gane or you don't. A QB with horrible anticipation, timing, and ability to read a defense in college is not someone you draft on day 1. EJ would wait until a WR made his break and was open and stationary before he would throw it. The very first game Jameis played it was night and day, Jameis anticipated and threw before guys even broke. WRs didn't have to wait on the ball because of an EJ floater or late throw. Not everyone is Winston, but EJ had god awful timing and anticipation. Jameis could also read a defense, see the field, and knew where his WRs were supposed to be 10 times better in game 1/as a FR than EJ as a Sr. I don't think EJ always knew where everyone was supposed to be which is why he had to wait until they were there to throw it. Jameis knew where people were supposed to be so he was anle to anticipate better. EJ is a smart guy but I don't think he was football smart.

2. I'm a Nole and will never understand how they saw tape of EJ and thought he was first rd much less a top 15 talent. Dude had horrible timing on his passes, couldn't even read a college defense, threw floaters, constantly spun away 10 yards to turn a 10 yard sack into a 20 yard sack, couldn't go through his progressions, etc x 10.

God damn you hit this **** right on the head. Him getting drafted in the first round will probably go down as one of the biggest WTF moments in the history of the NFL draft. I literally laughed when he was drafted. Look, nice guy, represented our school with class and all that jazz, but he was horrendous. He was absolutely the governor on that 2012 team. Had we started Winston over him, I have no doubt we atleast make the national championship game and probably win it. That 2012 team was just as loaded as 2013.

3. EJ could never hit the broad side of a barn! That's why he never played for a NC at FSU. Jameis took the very same roster EJ had and won a Heisman and a NC as a Freshman! I was shocked to see EJ get drafted in the first round after continually over throwing every WR for 4 years.

4. Just to reiterate what fellow Noles are saying ITT, I was floored when EJ was taken 15th overall. All those guys with alleged great FB minds looked at the tape of his career and thought he was the answer. It fvcking amazes me that multiple people signed off on that pick. What a disaster. Just a great kid that has slow eyes and no killer instinct. How does that happen?

i did not cherry pick a thread on our QB situation. There's much more here: http://forums.rivals.com/threads/holy-****-ej-manuel-is-a-waste-of-space.185328/#post-4622295

You will never see VT fans talk this way about Tyrod.

In fairness, FSU fans are spoiled by 5-star talent and feel entitled to win more than most fan bases - not necessarily a bad thing - just is.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where do FSU fans rate in credibility? WGR > FSU Fans > Astro?

I don't discredit the knocks on him, they tend to be in the realm of accurate but seriously, does this really need to be a thing?

Not sure it was necessarily constructive - just kept reading it in near disbelief and felt it was somewhat pertinent given the close QB race we have. Clearly not up to FSU fans or any of us who wins the job. I personally think TT is the best answer to a tough situation but I'd rather win with EJ than have TT or Cassel take us to 8-8.

We take in all data on here and I thought it to be real data to share.

Not sure it was necessarily constructive - just kept reading it in near disbelief and felt it was somewhat pertinent given the close QB race we have. Clearly not up to FSU fans or any of us who wins the job. I personally think TT is the best answer to a tough situation but I'd rather win with EJ than have TT or Cassel take us to 8-8.

We take in all data on here and I thought it to be real data to share.

It's the old eye of the beer holder type of situation.

Bills have been in a QB abyss forever.

Bills name the starter.

We back him until he starts to suck.

Call for the 2nd string QB.

He does good for a minute.

Turns out he sucks too.

Rinse and repeat.

I live in Florida and have for a long time. I have met FSu fans whose opinions are decidedly different. Why are FSUf fans spoiled? Until two years ago they weren't even the best team in Florida, for a decade.

Not the best team by wins and record - but that was certainly not because of lack of 4 and 5 star talent being recruited and landed - I meant spoiled by that measure - perhaps better wording should be "perennial high expectations" and I don't necessarily think of that as a bad thing - why shouldn't a FANatic want glass footballs every year ...?

was in a little florida bar surrounded by fsu alumni when ej was selected. they all bought me drinks and said nice things to make me feel better. if ej was not a first round pick, everyone would have been good with the kid. jimbo even said ej is not a starter in the nfl.

Not the best team by wins and record - but that was certainly not because of lack of 4 and 5 star talent being recruited and landed - I meant spoiled by that measure - perhaps better wording should be "perennial high expectations" and I don't necessarily think of that as a bad thing - why shouldn't a FANatic want glass footballs every year ...?

What?

EJ defense #57: Jameis Winston threw a lot of interceptions in his senior year.

Keep fighting the good fight, sport. One of these days, you just might get that "I told you so" moment you've been dying for.

Nothing new here.. EJ's not a natural talent at QB.

Jon Gruden jokingly summed up his throwing ability as "go get it" , when he had him in to watch gamefilm before he was drafted.. EJ could only watch his receivers climb defenders to get the ball, and agree.

The good news is, we've surrounded all the QBs with a diverse set of talent. That, and a pretty solid staff will bring out his best.. whatever that looks like.