Heading to Boston this weekend, ideas?

Wooderson

My fiance and I are heading to Boston this weekend for the Zac Brown Band concert at Fenway. We will be staying at a friend's house in Springfield Friday night and then in Boston Saturday and Sunday. Concert is Sunday night.

Here's some suggestions I've compiled so far, please let me know if you've had positive/negative experiences with any:

1. Sam Adams Brewery Tour

2. Fanueil Hall Marketplace (Quincy Market)

3. Cheers Original (better than replica I've heard?)

4. Mike's Pastry Shop

5. La Familia Giorgio's

6. Bleacher Bar (Bills Backers Bar?)

7. Cask-n-Flagon

8. Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum, I guess they have a cool interactive re-creation.

I've also heard that the Boston Duck Tours are pretty cool.

Any of you TBD'ers have any other recommendations for restaurants, attractions, tours, etc.?

My fiance and I are heading to Boston this weekend for the Zac Brown Band concert at Fenway. We will be staying at a friend's house in Springfield Friday night and then in Boston Saturday and Sunday. Concert is Sunday night.

Here's some suggestions I've compiled so far, please let me know if you've had positive/negative experiences with any:

4. Mike's Pastry Shop

5. La Familia Giorgio's

7. Cask-n-Flagon

8. Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum, I guess they have a cool interactive re-creation.

Any of you TBD'ers have any other recommendations for restaurants, attractions, tours, etc.?

The USS Intrepid museum is interesting, and has the added benefit of not being in friggin' Boston. I recommend going there.

Not to be an ass...but I am good at it...everything on your list sucks.

Here is what I would do

1) Lunch somewhere cool on Newberry street...tons of places.

2) guided walking tour of Back Bay and Beacon Hill..including some adult beverage establishments. Just google Boston Walking Tours and you will have a variety of choices.

3) Union Oyster House...yep can be crowded and touristy , but damn eating oysters and swilling.were the founding fathers sucked down beer and oysters kinda cool

4) stay the fug away from Fanuel Hall/ Quincy market at all costs

5) Great dinner, cool music club, go home and make a baby. I can give tons or recommendations if know price/ cuisine

Sunday Morning

1) find a Flour near you and eat some baked goods

http://www.flourbakery.com/node/92

2 ) Guided walking tour of Freedom trail...little less busy on Sunday than Saturday

Only thing I would say about Cask and Flaggon ...bar itself is mediocre at best, but if the Sox in town it would be fun either Saturday night oto just go down to the Fenway area and soak in pre game atmosphere....that is very cool. You will be there Sunday, but prolly be way crowded pre concert.

One last piece of advice...the subway in Boston is the oldest in the country...and it works like it too. I find buses work way better than the train most times except at rush hours.

Edited by plenzmd1

Here is what I would do

2) guided walking tour of Back Bay and Beacon Hill..including some adult beverage establishments.

3) Union Oyster House...yep can be crowded and touristy , but damn eating oysters and swilling.were the founding fathers sucked down beer and oysters kinda cool

5) Great dinner, cool music club, go home and make a baby. I can give tons or recommendations if know price/ cuisine

Sunday Morning

2 ) Guided walking tour of Freedom trail...little less busy on Sunday than Saturday

Only thing I would say about Cask and Flaggon ...bar itself is mediocre at best, but if the Sox in town it would be fun either Saturday night or Sunday to just go down to the Fenway area and soak in pre game atmosphere....that is very cool.

One last piece of advice...the subway in Boston is the oldest in the country...and it works like it too. I find buses work way better than the train most times except at rush hours.

Good advice. My first apartment was on Quensberry, a block from Fenway. The place was terrible, but the neighborhood during baseball season made up for it.

Are you a basketball guy at all? Since you're staying in Springfield it may be worth checking out. I don't know a thing about the place or if it is worthwhile at all, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Here is what I would do

2) guided walking tour of Back Bay and Beacon Hill..including some adult beverage establishments. Just google Boston Walking Tours and you will have a variety of choices.

Sunday Morning

Only thing I would say about Cask and Flaggon ...bar itself is mediocre at best, but if the Sox in town it would be fun either Saturday night oto just go down to the Fenway area and soak in pre game atmosphere....that is very cool. You will be there Sunday, but prolly be way crowded pre concert.

Thanks. That list was based on suggestions given to me from other people so I'm looking for the best way to use my time. I'm a big Cheers fan so checking that place out is a must for me...even if it is cheesy.

Any other bars near Fenway you would recommend besides Cask n Flaggon? We're gonna want to do something before the concert near the park, not too worried about crowds.

I was told Legal Seafood on Liberty Wharf is a great place to grab a drink and some clam chowder too.

That much better huh? Any particular reason?

The beer hall alone takes it miles away from Sam Adams. The Sam Adams tour is kind of geeky, and kind of a bore. Location too; Sam Adams is in Jamaica Plain, which isn't really Boston proper. Tasting session is better at Harpoon too.

Thanks. That list was based on suggestions given to me from other people so I'm looking for the best way to use my time. I'm a big Cheers fan so checking that place out is a must for me...even if it is cheesy.

Any other bars near Fenway you would recommend besides Cask n Flaggon? We're gonna want to do something before the concert near the park, not too worried about crowds.

I was told Legal Seafood on Liberty Wharf is a great place to grab a drink and some clam chowder too.

That is a very cool Legal...the original I believe and I would highly recommend it.

Terms of bars near Fenway...all around! Just pick one that looks like it suits your fancy, grab a drink...and go to the next one if ya don't like it. Bars on walk from Kenmore and Fenway stations are more crowded, find some on other side. Just do a google map search.

Try this place for a great breakfast sandwich. Last time I was there they had peameal bacon. http://mikeandpattys.com/

I thought the Duck Boat tour was a blast.

If near Copley Square on Saturday they have a nice farmers market.

Second the Newbury Street suggestion.

Duck tour is awesome...loved it and would do again!

That is a very cool Legal...the original I believe and I would highly recommend it.

Terms of bars near Fenway...all around! Just pick one that looks like it suits your fancy, grab a drink...and go to the next one if ya don't like it. Bars on walk from Kenmore and Fenway stations are more crowded, find some on other side. Just do a google map search.

Duck tour is awesome...loved it and would do again!

Just don't go to RamRod on Boylston St......

Unless you are into that kind of thing.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.....

Edited by CountDorkula

4. Mike's Pastry Shop

5. La Familia Giorgio's

7. Cask-n-Flagon

Union Oyster House

Boston Museum of Science

Whale watching tour

Good advice. My first apartment was on Quensberry, a block from Fenway. The place was terrible, but the neighborhood during baseball season made up for it.

A better bet is to go to Boston Beer Works right across the street. Dozens of home brewed micro brews right next door to Fenway. Same atmosphere, better food, better drinks, much better time.

Not sure if Russ' Pastry Shop is sill open on Grant Street in Buffalo but his cannoli are far superior to Mike's. Place is way over-rated imo.

Also, would hang out around Copley Square. Grab a slice of Boston Crème pie from the Fairmont Hotel where it was first made and have a seat in the park.

Walk thru Boston Commons. Take a ride on one of the swan boats- touristy but it's something you gotta do.

Also consider a Duck Tour. WWII era amphibious vehicles that take you on land and water to tour the city.

Dinner in the north end- near Mike's pastry shop. Great italian food. Paul Revere's home is nearby

Edited by DDD

Are you a basketball guy at all? Since you're staying in Springfield it may be worth checking out. I don't know a thing about the place or if it is worthwhile at all, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Staying in Springfield? Yikes. Might want to bring a bullet proof vest.

La Famiglia is only famous for portion sizes. The food itself is mediocre. Almost any other restaurant in the North End is better. Frankly I would eat at the original Pizzaria Regina. (Cor. Thatcher & N. Margin sts)

Mike's Pastry is good but it's a zoo most of the time. If you want the same pastries without the hassle, go around the corner from Mike's to Bova Bakery. (cor. Salem & Prince Sts) It's not a restaurant but you can get pastries, and pizza, strombolis and arancinis to go.

I also recommend getting Dim Sum at China Pearl on Essex St. in Chinatown. Very authentic and by that I mean the food is great and the place is not your typical spotless western Chinese restaurant. Don't be turned off by the long lines to get in. The line moves fast. Dim Sum you sit down and the food carts arrive immediately so a meal is like 30 minutes. Just go up the stairs and get a number and wait in the hallway. You'll be seated inside 15 minutes. Don't be afraid to ask what's that, but also don't expect an answer in English.

One last suggestion, Boston's best German restaurant also happens to be in Chinatown. Jacob Wirth on Stuart St. between Tremont and Washington.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

BTW - I'm pretty sure the Boston Bills Bar is still The Harp.

http://www.harpboston.com/

Yeah, I did see that after I posted the original message. Somebody on Facebook wrote that so I assumed they knew what they were talking about lol.

So.... Is torching Gillette still a possibility???

Shhh, no comment. Can't have it coming back to me.

Boston is the most overrated party town in the country. Just putting that out there.

It's just my fiance and I, we're not really looking to "party" as in clubs and late night bars. We're more the type to drink throughout the day, have a nice dinner, and a few drinks after.

Thanks to all that have made suggestions. Really looking forward to getting out of Buffalo for a weekend. You guys are alllright, no matter what DC Tom says.

La Famiglia is only famous for portion sizes. The food itself is mediocre. Almost any other restaurant in the North End is better. Frankly I would eat at the original Pizzaria Regina. (Cor. Thatcher & N. Margin sts)

Mike's Pastry is good but it's a zoo most of the time. If you want the same pastries without the hassle, go around the corner from Mike's to Bova Bakery. (cor. Salem & Prince Sts) It's not a restaurant but you can get pastries, and pizza, strombolis and arancinis to go.

I also recommend getting Dim Sum at China Pearl on Essex St. in Chinatown. Very authentic and by that I mean the food is great and the place is not your typical spotless western Chinese restaurant. Don't be turned off by the long lines to get in. The line moves fast. Dim Sum you sit down and the food carts arrive immediately so a meal is like 30 minutes. Just go up the stairs and get a number and wait in the hallway. You'll be seated inside 15 minutes. Don't be afraid to ask what's that, but also don't expect an answer in English.

One last suggestion, Boston's best German restaurant also happens to be in Chinatown. Jacob Wirth on Stuart St. between Tremont and Washington.

I'm all about German. Thanks Promo.

BTW - I'm pretty sure the Boston Bills Bar is still The Harp.

http://www.harpboston.com/

Both bars have groups. The Harp is the longer running one. A younger group splintered off a few years back and went to the Bleacher Bar. I'm assuming they liked it because it was closer to a lot of the colleges in the area.

Yeah, I did see that after I posted the original message. Somebody on Facebook wrote that so I assumed they knew what they were talking about lol.

Shhh, no comment. Can't have it coming back to me.

It's just my fiance and I, we're not really looking to "party" as in clubs and late night bars. We're more the type to drink throughout the day, have a nice dinner, and a few drinks after.

Thanks to all that have made suggestions. Really looking forward to getting out of Buffalo for a weekend. You guys are alllright, no matter what DC Tom says.

I'm all about German. Thanks Promo.

If you're staying overnight in Springfield, and love German food, I highly recommend http://www.studentprince.com

Yeah, I didn't think you were. That's why I said just throwing it out there...........I'm no longer interested in that either, but when I was, Boston fell disappointingly short.