Brady 4 game suspension upheld; Will go to court

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Mcbride/Saint.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/14/tom-brady-filing-roger-goodell-deflategate-federal-case-analysis

The above link is a good summary by Andrew Brandt of the last legal proceeding between the parties, including some of the filings. The league's position is that it has a right to make a ruling regardless of the quality of the evidence or the deviation from the normal disciplinary process.

It's apparent (to me) that there is not going to be an agreement between the two combatants. The judge is going to make his own determination. I think the judge is getting a kick out of exposing the dirty underbelly and heavy handedness in which the NFL goes about its business.

Because Roger Goodell lacked common sense and good judgment in handling a manageable trivial issue the ultimate winners are going to be the lawyers on both sides: billable hours!

Edited by JohnC

@AlbertBreer

Per source, with settlement talks at a standstill, the judge informed Patriots QB Tom Brady there's no need for him to be there tomorrow.

Did I hear correctly today that the nfl isn't just pushing for Brady to concede that the report is accurate but also the nflpa to grant the league more range in punishments in their initial list of demands to settle?

Did I hear correctly today that the nfl isn't just pushing for Brady to concede that the report is accurate but also the nflpa to grant the league more range in punishments in their initial list of demands to settle?

That is somewhat the report and if true, the NFL is making another mistake. I'm not sure that is what is happening. They can't do that.

What they seem to be asking is for the NFLPA agreeing that they have the authority to do what they did in punishing Brady as in the current CBA, which will affect further punishments down the line in the acknowledgement that the NFL does indeed have the right - versus asking for more concessions that didn't exist before. If they are asking for more than they already believe they have, which seems difficult to believe, that's just plain stupid.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

That is somewhat the report and if true, the NFL is making another mistake. I'm not sure that is what is happening. They can't do that.

What they seem to be asking is for the NFLPA agreeing that they have the authority to do what they did in punishing Brady as in the current CBA, which will affect further punishments down the line in the acknowledgement that the NFL does indeed have the right - versus asking for more concessions that didn't exist before. If they are asking for more than they already believe they have, which seems difficult to believe, that's just plain stupid.

yea, i may have worded it poorly in shooting off a quick post from my phone....

but either way, if the NFLPA is disputing their ability to do that, it seems a big ask to have them concede and help set a clear cut precedent before even starting the negotiation with this individual player. whether or not the nfl believes they have the ability, it seems at the very least they are trying to strip the NFLPA of the ability to dispute it if initial rumblings are accurate. depending on the scope of the ask, which we obviously dont know and might never know, it seems like something that could irritate the judge unnecessarily.

Edited by NoSaint

I heard a snippet on the radio this AM. I think this is what they said. I can't back it up.

Brady will not admit guilt to deflating the balls but would accept a lesser suspension for not fully cooperating with the NFL.

@AdamSchefter

Tom Brady is open to accepting some form of suspension, but only if it can be for failing to cooperate with the... http://fb.me/40f9Z0Q24