Bills you no longer like after meeting them in person

major

I met him Kelly a few times and he definitely evolved over the years. He was not a jerk, but it was more arrogance. But that cockiness was what made him successful on the field. I think everyone humbles with age and look at him now- he is widely beloved and seems to be a humble guy quick to return the thanks and love he gets from the public.

I met Bruce- he was just plain intimidating. Doesn't seem to like anyone. I remember watching him snarl at others- everyone around him. He is someone you leave be.

Andre Reed.

Met him at a charity event this past spring which I attended purposely so I could meet him.

Tried speaking to him a few times. He came off completely arrogant like he couldn't be bothered. Was more into hitting on the women around him. Actually introduced myself as a huge Bills fan from WNY and complimented him on HOF and told him how excited I was for him to finally make it in and if anyone deserved it he did. He responded by completely shrugged me off and started talking to a buddy next to him.

Needless to say I ignored him the rest of the night, even though he was mingling with people in my group.

I had a way better conversation with Steven Jackson and Jonathan Ogden, who both were super cool and down to earth.

Extremely disappointing. But such is life.

Edited by dezertbill

Andre Reed was WAY cool, tailgating with him, Leonard Smith and Jonathan Linton... so I just don't get how he is "arrogant and rude".

Thurman Thomas bought me a beer hanging out with him, Bruce and Darryl (and Junior Seau and Richard Roundtree)... and the Hawaiian Tropic girls were always popular with them, married or no.

Ralph, Marv, Jimbo, all approachable.

I have never met a Bill I had a problem with, basically.

Edited by BmoreBills

I think Marshawn gets a bad rap. He's just a weird dude. Very funny and very friendly at times. And then he can be off putting at others. I find him hysterical but he did, um, get involved in a hit and run.

I live and work in Hollyweird and you see celebrities out at various times. They know they are in public for the most part, but people bug the **** out of them when they are trying to buy groceries or get gas or have a meal. It's amazing they are not more rude. Plus, if you meet one you don't know if they are having a good day or bad day like could happen to anyone. You meet them on a good day and you think they are awesome. You meet them on a bad day and you think they must be jerks.

the good day/bad day thing is a good point. But I have no sympathy for celebrities. If you want to hand me your millions, I'll take being "harassed" by fans (who are the only reason you have money) anytime. It's part of the job.

That said, met Paul Puz in Pittsburgh. Very cool and down to earth dude. Was helping a neighbor get snow out of his driveway.

Edited by RyanC883

I've heard from multiple people I trust that have met Thurman Thomas and say he's a grade-A jerk.

Not grade A but he goes against every rule formerly put forth... you are to act as though he is a god. And if you dont... dont expect to be acknowledged more than the situation necessitates

Andre Reed.

Met him at a charity event this past spring which I attended purposely so I could meet him.

Tried speaking to him a few times. He came off completely arrogant like he couldn't be bothered. Was more into hitting on the women around him. Actually introduced myself as a huge Bills fan from WNY and complimented him on HOF and told him how excited I was for him to finally make it in and if anyone deserved it he did. He responded by completely shrugged me off and started talking to a buddy next to him.

Needless to say I ignored him the rest of the night, even though he was mingling with people in my group.

I had a way better conversation with Steven Jackson and Jonathan Ogden, who both were super cool and down to earth.

Extremely disappointing. But such is life.

J O is my cousin i was like please dont say anything bad about him lol

Ogden is hella cool. Met him at a Madden tournament (no relation) once, while he was still in the league.

Reminds me of QuestLove from the Roots. As cool as he looks, that's how cool he really is.

Edited by maddenboy

I was 14 or 15 when I met Marcellus Wiley at Training camp. Most of the players had already departed, when I saw him leaving the training room for his vehicle. Being a kid, I ran over to meet his SUV. I only had a small post card to be signed. He laughed and said, "What about this". He gave me one of his practice gloves and signed it on the spot. Made my trip!

I've only spoken with players at training camp (and this was all during the early to mid 90's at Fredonia). Marv Levy and Steve Tasker were MORE than approachable.

Jeff Burris wouldn't sign my Jim Kelly jersey (which had plenty of signatures when I asked), under the premise that he said he wouldn't sign another players jersey. I was probably 13 and felt like a kid at 13 would.

Lonnie Johnson gave me an autograph, and I do not believe it was on purpose, but John Hancocked right through Jim Kelly's autograph. I still have the jersey and think about it every time I see it.

Pretty much, only great memories of the Bills (minus the SB heartaches and the last 15 years). This year is different! Go Bills!

I've heard from multiple people I trust that have met Thurman Thomas and say he's a grade-A jerk.

Ya know, this just doesn't surprise me at all. Seems like the kind of guy who has a chip on his shoulder no matter what.

But... Wasn't he?

Beat me to it. I had to reread the posters comment to make sure I wasnt seeing things.

Not a Bills, but Pat Lafontaine was the best ever from the Sabres. Dale Hawerchuk as well. All class. On the other hand, Pierre Turgeon was a douchebag. I cant even read a letter from his autograph on the rookie card that I had paid 40$ at the time.

Edited by fredex22

I do think it's kind of funny that people are criticizing players -- most of whom have been told they are "the schitt" since high school -- for being arrogant. I'm actually more surprised when they're not arrogant.

The whole "hero worship" thing is curious and silly, when you think about it.

Lonnie Johnson gave me an autograph, and I do not believe it was on purpose, but John Hancocked right through Jim Kelly's autograph. I still have the jersey and think about it every time I see it.

Pretty much, only great memories of the Bills (minus the SB heartaches and the last 15 years). This year is different! Go Bills!

Freakin' Lonnie!