An Open Letter To Albert Hanynesworth (from himself)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcel should be forced to read this. ;)

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm glad that Mario and Kyle are part of this line. Even if Marcel is dominant year after year, he has other very talented guys who can have an influence on how he lives off the field. Hopefully he and Jerry can find a track for their races in the future. It seems like the old dudes have really stable lives off the field (except for one particular engagement ring!).

Edited by dulles

That was awesome. I always wondered why Haynesworth went crazy and stomped on Gurode's face.

It also sheds light on why coaching matters.

I'm glad Haynesworth is living a productive and happy post-football life and I hope his advisor left him with something.

Edited by Hopeful

I am not as easily influenced by this letter as many have been. I saw Haynesworth as an overpaid selfish guy, who because he was now rich was incapable of taking direction and working hard to prepare. He did not play well in any aspect after the money came. He was a bad teammate. He had no effort.

Yes players are more effective in certain systems based on schemes.

If he worked in a bank, and he did not like where his desk was located does that not mean he should be in the office early, work hard, be as effective as he can be , earn his pay, stay later than others, help his mates, bring in the coffee sometimes and be a leader.

Haynesworth is a whining privileged athlete. I see this letter as a minor step on his road to becoming honest, but still along way to go.

I am not as easily influenced by this letter as many have been. I saw Haynesworth as an overpaid selfish guy, who because he was now rich was incapable of taking direction and working hard to prepare. He did not play well in any aspect after the money came. He was a bad teammate. He had no effort.

If he worked in a bank, and he did not like where his desk was located does that not mean he should be in the office early, work hard, be as effective as he can be , earn his pay, stay later than others, help his mates, bring in the coffee sometimes and be a leader.

Haynesworth is a whining privileged athlete. I see this letter as a minor step on his road to becoming honest, but still along way to go.

I tend to agree with most of this...but still feel for him if the money part is true.

I guess, ultimately, who cares? What redemption does he owe you or I and why hold him accountable to walking that road? as long as what he says is true in that he has found something that makes him happy. If he's lying about that, so be it. Doesn't hurt any of us. It's not like we are a GM debating signing the guy.

I hate when coaches use players like this:

You’re going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, “You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”

And he’s going to say, with a straight face, “Albert, if you have more than one sack this season, I’m going to be pissed.”

The last thing you’ll say before walking out of the office is, “Can’t you just pay someone $300,000 a year to do that?”

Edited by hondo in seattle

I hate when coaches use players like this:

Youre going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?

And hes going to say, with a straight face, Albert, if you have more than one sack this season, Im going to be pissed.

The last thing youll say before walking out of the office is, Cant you just pay someone $300,000 a year to do that?

thats a real, and important role. you need those guys that simply occupy reliably.

but haynesworth was right in thinking it was crazy given the signing, and im sure not at all what was presented to him. still should have sucked it up and done work.

Great piece. I have regrets about the departure of Schwartz.

Eh. Schwartz did a good job but this is a completely loaded defense. Almost anyone, except Wanny, could coach this group. As much as I don't trust Rex with the offense and QB, I have no doubts about his defensive coaching.

This was a nice piece. Of course, he took very little accountability. IMO, if someone is truly reflecting on himself, he needs to own up to his own mistakes.

This was a nice piece. Of course, he took very little accountability. IMO, if someone is truly reflecting on himself, he needs to own up to his own mistakes.

I guess that I read it differently. I read it as, "learn from these mistakes that I made." It felt to me like he was saying to his younger self, "this is what will be going through your head at a particular moment but trust me you need to make different decisions than I did."

I guess that I read it differently. I read it as, "learn from these mistakes that I made." It felt to me like he was saying to his younger self, "this is what will be going through your head at a particular moment but trust me you need to make different decisions than I did."

That's fair but there seems to be little remorse for the Gourde incident and we are only hearing his side of the story. He also kicked his own teammate in practice before and had other legal issues. It is an interesting read but would be more compelling IMO is if owned up more to his mistakes for the way certain situations went. JMO of course.

That's fair but there seems to be little remorse for the Gourde incident and we are only hearing his side of the story. He also kicked his own teammate in practice before and had other legal issues. It is an interesting read but would be more compelling IMO is if owned up more to his mistakes for the way certain situations went. JMO of course.

Definitely see elements of both sides. I think in the stomping case he was simply being straight with the fact that the guy hit him, made a comment, AH lost it and it put him in a confusing spot to make sense of. It was something that was wrong, but in a way fed into positive things too and the world of football can be weird like that. i didnt get the impression that he was saying he was fine for doing it, but simply sharing the emotions present and the results instead of trying to take responsibility.