An Open Letter To Albert Hanynesworth (from himself)

I guess that I read it differently. I read it as, "learn from these mistakes that I made." It felt to me like he was saying to his younger self, "this is what will be going through your head at a particular moment but trust me you need to make different decisions than I did."

The general theme that you got out of the story is the same as I got out of it. There are two two story lines to his story. One is that he has regrets on the way he conducted himself in his pro career and then the follow-up to his well publicized travails is a more fulfilling post athletic career where he finds a greater sense of satisfaction and personal growth.

Especially after he got the giant contract that led him to leave a more comfortable setting I never got the sense that he had much passion for the game. Not only was it evident in his play but it was very evident in his preparation to play, especially in the off season.

There is an irony to his story. When he had an abundance of money to luxuriate in he was very troubled. Now that he has less financial resources and less ability to coast he seems more focused and more interested in his new field of endeavor.

This is a good story with a happy ending. I thought when he left the game he was on a path of personal and financial ruin. I am pleasantly surprised with the the way things turned out. He should be given credit for how he has responded to his post football life.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general theme that you got out of the story is the same as I got out of it. There are two two story lines to his story. One is that he has regrets on the way he conducted himself in his pro career and then the follow-up to his well publicized travails is a more fulfilling post athletic career where he finds a greater sense of satisfaction and personal growth.

Especially after he got the giant contract that led him to leave a more comfortable setting I never got the sense that he had much passion for the game. Not only was it evident in his play but it was very evident in his preparation to play, especially in the off season.

There is an irony to his story. When he had an abundance of money to luxuriate in he was very troubled. Now that he has less financial resources and less ability to coast he seems more focused and more interested in his new field of endeavor.

This is a good story with a happy ending. I thought when he left the game he was on a path of personal and financial ruin. I am pleasantly surprised with the the way things turned out. He should be given credit for how he has responded to his post football life.

spot on how i read it, and internalized it. that he didnt end up in jail or another terrible spot and instead has found something thats fulfilling is definitely a bit of a surprise to me too. sometimes the huge money doesnt line up with deeper satisfaction. i know it will read a little rough but i mean the following in a great way - some people are meant to hang dry wall, and if thats alberts thing then good on him for embracing it. it would be really easy for him to actually be in denial, and overwhelmingly bitter about things, and self destructive but it doesnt sound like that is the case; even if he didnt atone in the right way for some people.

Edited by NoSaint

spot on how i read it, and internalized it. that he didnt end up in jail or another terrible spot and instead has found something thats fulfilling is definitely a bit of a surprise to me too. sometimes the huge money doesnt line up with deeper satisfaction. i know it will read a little rough but i mean the following in a great way - some people are meant to hang dry wall, and if thats alberts thing then good on him for embracing it. it would be really easy for him to actually be in denial, and overwhelmingly bitter about things, and self destructive but it doesnt sound like that is the case; even if he didnt atone in the right way for some people.

Many, if not most, of the players who make it to the NFL or NBA simply don't have the family stability and anchoring that would allow them to handle their dramatically changing circumstance. Very often they areeasy targets by blood-sucking preditors who simply rob them blind. Many of these newly enriched athletes don't have the sophistication to deal with the demands associated with their new found wealth.

Compare how Rob Gronkowsk handles his finances with the way Haynesworth handled his. Rob Gronk is a party animal and for sure not an academic star. Yet because he grew up in a strong family setting he was instilled with the values that allowed him to smartly handle his finances. Gronk has pointed out to people that think he is just a party animal fool that he is smart enough to have not spent a penny of his NFL salary, living off of his endorsements.

Look at how athletes such as Eichel in the NHL and Bryce Harper in MLB are comfortably handling their new celebrity status. Because they have had the strong family foundation they have comfortably made the transition into the world of money and fame.

I am attaching a link of one of the worst cases of family predator behavior that is a source of unimaginable stress that can squander the financial gains made in a pro career.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000201145/article/dallas-cowboys-olineman-tyron-smiths-family-ordeal

Compare Gradkowsi

Edited by JohnC

Many, if not most, of the players who make it to the NFL or NBA simply don't have the family stability and anchoring that would allow them to handle their dramatically changing circumstance. Very often they areeasy targets by blood-sucking preditors who simply rob them blind. Many of these newly enriched athletes don't have the sophistication to deal with the demands associated with their new found wealth.Compare how Rob Gronkowsk handles his finances with the way Haynesworth handled his. Rob Gronk is a party animal and for sure not an academic star. Yet because he grew up in a strong family setting he was instilled with the values that allowed him to smartly handle his finances. Gronk has pointed out to people that think he is just a party animal fool that he is smart enough to have not spent a penny of his NFL salary, living off of his endorsements.Look at how athletes such as Eichel in the NHL and Bryce Harper in MLB are comfortably handling their new status. Because they have had the strong family foundation they have comfortably made the transition into the world of money and fame.I am attaching a link of one of the worst cases of family predator behavior that is a source of unimaginable stress that can squander the financial gains made in a pro career.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000201145/article/dallas-cowboys-olineman-tyron-smiths-family-ordealCompare Gradkowsi

Good post. Totally agree. It sucks that it's often people close to them who rip them off the most.

Yes some people are meant to hang dry wall, but even more so most people are meant to do something. Being filthy rich and spending your days lunching at the club and arranging to have the yacht serviced is a lifestyle that may sound great to a lot of people, but I suspect most would find it suffocating and unfulfilling. That's why you always hear about unhappy lotto winners and why rich old businessmen continue to go to work well past the point they could retire.

Yes some people are meant to hang dry wall, but even more so most people are meant to do something. Being filthy rich and spending your days lunching at the club and arranging to have the yacht serviced is a lifestyle that may sound great to a lot of people, but I suspect most would find it suffocating and unfulfilling. That's why you always hear about unhappy lotto winners and why rich old businessmen continue to go to work well past the point they could retire.

very true. whatever that "purpose" is to wake up in the morning, it seems for albert it is construction and not football. though football surely afforded him a lot of chances and resources to have a big step up getting into that.

Hey, say what you want about Albert Haynesworth, but I still say he's somewhere in the top 10 of the greatest jazz guitarists of all time.

The man's complex chord progressions and intricate solos give him a distinct and unmatched sound.

His unique legato soloing technique creates a masterful sound filled with diminished, augmented, whole tone, chromatic and altered scales that creates that wonderful "off" and unpredictable sound that is the stuff of genius.

Edited by Fadingpain

Content with life. No way, that is why he craves attention and writes such drivel. He must have an IQ of 45. His whole existence seems to have been based on sacks. His coach took that away and he has whined ever since. A leader and good player and good person would have followed direction and showed teammates how to do your assignment.

And where is Biggie Small today??

Biggie is dead, but what does that have to do with anything? I was just quoting the late, great. ;) Albert lost his passion for football, but he has found a passion for life outside of it. Is he trying to repair his rep per say? Maybe, idk. It seems to be a bit more than just that though. It seems as it is written with the thought that some of today's players could possibly read this and consider the same situations he is discussing. Hell, maybe DeAndre Jordan read it and that's why he chose to spurn the Mavs and return to the Clippers. Lol. Either way, there are many external factors that go into this game we all love. Alot of those external factors are human traits. Someone may be the most gifted of athletes, but not be able to handle the mental and emotional rigors that come along with that life. The people you are surrounded by within the game and outside of the game can GREATLY affect your ability to focus within it. Albert made some bad decisions financially, he chose to chase the money when he was a FA, he let his emotions get the best of him at times, and all of these things combined with feeling out of place led to him losing his passion for the game. Pretty sure it's not the first or last time this will happen in the NFL. He's now able to look back on all of it, see it for what it was, and appreciate life for what it is. Good for Albert. :thumbsup: