Jason Pierre-Paul fireworks accident

The medical record references a K-Wire.

Kirschner wires or K-wires or pins are sterilized, sharpened, smooth stainless steelpins. Introduced in 1909 by Martin Kirschner, the wires are now widely used in orthopedics and other types of medical and veterinary surgery. They come in different sizes and are used to hold bone fragments together (pin fixation) or to provide an anchor for skeletal traction. The pins are often driven into the bone through the skin (percutaneous pin fixation) using a power or hand drill. They also form part of the Ilizarov apparatus.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read a few tweets from doctors who say that if the amputation is the only issue, he could be ready to play in 2 months or less. However, it is not known if that is the extent of it.

Oh, just saw this-

NFL Network @nflnetwork 58m58 minutes ago

CJeTkEaW8AAq2Po.jpg

Jason Pierre-Paul also broke his thumb, could take up to 6 weeks to heal (via @KimJonesSports) http://bit.ly/1SaNUfM

I have read a few tweets from doctors who say that if the amputation is the only issue, he could be ready to play in 2 months or less. However, it is not known if that is the extent of it.

I'd think the burns and other nerve damage might be a longer term issue. Also the loss of hand strength from losing the entire finger could be a big problem for a DE.

Oh, just saw this-

NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork 58m58 minutes ago

CJeTkEaW8AAq2Po.jpg

Jason Pierre-Paul also broke his thumb, could take up to 6 weeks to heal (via @KimJonesSports) http://bit.ly/1SaNUfM

See reference to K-Wire in post above yours.

That supports assertion that he has a broken bone or bones, beyond the amputated finger obviously.

Since seeing the medical release of amputation I have seen multiple comments that JPP will return to play very soon and the accident won't hinder him much.

I am no expert but it seems like an index finger being amputated would have a pretty big impact in grabbing players for tackles, picking up the ball for fumbles or interceptions and lining up in a 3 point stance.

I don't think they released at what location they amputated the finger (at one of the knuckles vs the whole digit) but it seems this would have an impact.

Thoughts?

I agree, particularly the grabbing of jersey's when reaching out to make a tackle. It's got to be harder without an index finger.

I wonder how many of a DE's tackles begin with him grabbing a jersey. I'm guessing it's a fair number.

I know a lot of people are saying he will be just as good and ready to go week1. I just don't see it. At least not initially. I think that is the agent talking through Schefter, et al.

Assuming he only loses a finger, I think with time he should be able to adjust to it, but this season? Ehhhhhhh

Why stop there? Let's go with a lifetime ban.

Ha!

Didnt mean to call you out specifically, as much as just highlight the example that someone distributed it to our community.... despite a lot of outrage towards shefter theres not a lot of reflection on our own roles in situations like this....

This is how it all starts. They replace the man's finger with a bionic one...then he's better, stronger and faster and then Jade Helm comes along and the next thing you know is Arnold schwarzenegger is naked in an alley

OK, petty of me to key on this I guess: " NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that Pierre-Paul suffered a hand injury Saturday night while attempting to light fireworks that required hospitalization, according to two sources briefed of the situation." Is it so hard to use correct word order? The fireworks required hospitalization? Really? REALLY? How about "JPP suffered a hand injury that required hospitalization while attempting to light fireworks Saturday night"

Dang Confederate flag!

My cousin used to have big Fourth of July parties with beer, fireworks, and 4" rockets. One year the fire chief that was at the party lit the one of the mortars and stepped over the pipe. He was drunk and now has one arm and part of a face. Alcohol doesnt mix with stuff like this.

Yeah, don't even need to involve alcohol and ignorance. I got a friend who's a wheat farmer in Russell, KS. He's dry as the desert. Has a glass eye.

Like many farmers, holds an explosives license for ridding his cropland of harrow-eating rocks that emerge every winter and he and a bunch of buds took the testing, got the Kansas Display Operator's Permit, and would go town to town setting off fireworks displays for extra $$ and the joy of hearing kids "oooooooh".

Heard the firework go off, knew it was a dud, knew the correct procedure (turn away, face to the ground and cover back of neck with hands). Knew the right thing to do, and turned to look anyway.

Blew half his face off.

Boom! (No pun intended)

@ProFootballTalk: Giants yank long-term offer JPP wasn't inclined to accept http://t.co/LreDHG3jSg

Interesting. PFT seems to imply JPP can avoid being NFI'd by staying away until he gets a clean bill of health. But isn't training camp mandatory, and can't the team NFI him if he no-shows?

This is how it all starts. They replace the man's finger with a bionic one...then he's better, stronger and faster and then Jade Helm comes along and the next thing you know is Arnold schwarzenegger is naked in an alley

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Edited by jimmy10

OK, petty of me to key on this I guess: " NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that Pierre-Paul suffered a hand injury Saturday night while attempting to light fireworks that required hospitalization, according to two sources briefed of the situation." Is it so hard to use correct word order? The fireworks required hospitalization? Really? REALLY? How about "JPP suffered a hand injury that required hospitalization while attempting to light fireworks Saturday night"

Yeah, don't even need to involve alcohol and ignorance. I got a friend who's a wheat farmer in Russell, KS. He's dry as the desert. Has a glass eye.

Like many farmers, holds an explosives license for ridding his cropland of harrow-eating rocks that emerge every winter and he and a bunch of buds took the testing, got the Kansas Display Operator's Permit, and would go town to town setting off fireworks displays for extra $$ and the joy of hearing kids "oooooooh".

Heard the firework go off, knew it was a dud, knew the correct procedure (turn away, face to the ground and cover back of neck with hands). Knew the right thing to do, and turned to look anyway.

Blew half his face off.

Interesting. PFT seems to imply JPP can avoid being NFI'd by staying away until he gets a clean bill of health. But isn't training camp mandatory, and can't the team NFI him if he no-shows?

Until he signs the tag he's not under contract. I'd assume he has to be under contract to be put on any list like that