Jason Pierre-Paul fireworks accident

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AdamSchefter

Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul finger amputated today. Medical source expects him to play this season, "sooner than people think."

Shouldn't it be the personnel who released the information to him?

Well that was my original question, if it's against the law for doctors shouldn't it be against the law for anyone, so the person who gave it to Schefter is one, and Schefter made it public so he is another.

Well that was my original question, if it's against the law for doctors shouldn't it be against the law for anyone, so the person who gave it to Schefter is one, and Schefter made it public so he is another.

You're likely correct, but that's just a guess since I do not know the intricacies of the law.

@JonTheBeerman

@JoeYerdon @jrlind HIPPA does permit JPP to collect damages from the hospital if he can prove they (or a staffer) leaked this.

It doesn't matter I just find this interesting. Hopefully someone who actually knows this stuff can chime in. I'm not exactly sure why if JPP can collect damages from the hospital if a staffer leaked this, that Schefter should be able to leak it himself if he or someone he knows got it from a staffer. It may fall under the fact JPP is a public figure but that doesn't seem right to me.

It doesn't matter I just find this interesting. Hopefully someone who actually knows this stuff can chime in. I'm not exactly sure why if JPP can collect damages from the hospital if a staffer leaked this, that Schefter should be able to leak it himself if he or someone he knows got it from a staffer. It may fall under the fact JPP is a public figure but that doesn't seem right to me.

the players signed away their rights to HIPAA protection in the last CBA, but my understanding was that only allowed release of medical info without their authorization to the NFL and teams/organization, NOT to media or outside entities. Edited by YoloinOhio

@ByTimGraham

As someone who has obtained/reported medical records (Joe Mesi brain bleeds), I can state it is not illegal to receive or report them. (1/2)

The illegality is from a medical professional or institution sharing personal records without consent. (2/2)

That's kind of crazy, isn't it? That's like a two man robbery team, one takes money from the bank and runs outside and hands it to the other one, who is now not guilty. Just the first guy who stole the money is. ;)

Lawsuit is likely...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/08/lawsuit-is-likely-for-release-of-pierre-pauls-medical-records/

"ESPN obtained — and published — a medical record regarding the amputation of Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul’s right index finger. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s likely that legal action will be taken against the person who leaked the document to ESPN.

The investigation will begin with the hospital that generated the records. While some have cited HIPAA as the basis for a lawsuit against the hospital, HIPAA does not permit a private legal action for the violation of its terms. Instead, any claims against the hospital would be made under Florida privacy laws. Over the years, large verdicts have been awarded against health-care providers that released private patient information."

So Schefter could be arrested for tweeting that?

That hospital is going to have the screws put to them, that's for sure.

Also, a right index finger amputation would jive with what I saw in that nasty Twitter pic referenced upthread. The index finger looked like a chew toy that had been worked over.

I'm far from an expert, but I am pretty sure there are numerous examples where it is illegal for a person privy to protected information to leak it, but not illegal for recipients of the leak to pass it along. I think it can also apply to things like grand jury testimony.

Edited by jimmy10

I'd assume the duty is as a licensed medical professional you can't breach the trust, not that the info is sacredly protected, in how the laws are framed.

If I find the paper sitting in the street I don't have a duty to shred it, and I won't get in trouble for showing friends(to take it a little extreme in example). A doctor with access on the other hand....

Edited by NoSaint

I'd assume the duty is as a licensed medical professional you can't breach the trust, not that the info is sacredly protected, in how the laws are framed.

That is probably true. If the info is so sacred it's criminal to release it, however, it seems to me to probably be illegal for anyone. And I'm usually a guy who sides with the press and public right to know and most stuff like that.