Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

It's a bad deal in both sports, IMO. It's a buyers market for goalies and Tim way overpaid when he didn't have to...

That's where I am too. Lehner could wind up being good, but I will still argue that he paid too much with this current buyer's market for Goalies.

@BuffaloSabres

WATCH: #Sabres GM Tim Murray speaks with reporters about today's trade & tonight's draft. http://goo.gl/Ug1zn1

#SabresDraft2015

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not a hockey expert, but I have to agree. Don't the Sabres have a ton of young prospects waiting in the wings already?

Yes, they do and they spent years near and in the cellar to get those prospects. Now it's time to get NHL ready players and hope the prospects develop, that's how you become a winning team in this league. it's so much different than the NFL draft, a 21 in hockey is a long shot, usually a very young player with potential, and you have just as good a chance of getting lucky in the second round...Their next pick is 31, so they still can get a good prospect.

Edited by ricojes

this should shed some light on the subject, 21st pick through the years:

21 St. Louis Robby Fabbri C

Guelph Storm [OHL]

21 Toronto Frederik Gauthier C

Rimouski Oceanic [QMJHL]

21 Calgary Mark Jankowski C Stanstead College (Quebec)

21 Ottawa Stefan Noesen R Plymouth Whalers [OHL]

21 Detroit Riley Sheahan C Notre Dame [CCHA]

21 Columbus John Moore D Chicago Steel [uSHL]

21 Washington Anton Gustafsson C Frolunda Jrs (Sweden)

21 Edmonton Riley Nash C Salmon Arm Silverbacks [bCHL]

21 NY Rangers Bob Sanguinetti D Owen Sound Attack [OHL]

Edited by ricojes

Read this quote from a Sens fan on TSN, thought I'd share:

"I wish they would not have traded Lehner especially within the division.
Don't fool yourself. Lehner will be a really good goaltender for the Sabres. Paul McLean misused this guy big time.
Don't be upset with this Sabres fans. You will come to love this guy, just like most Sens fans did.
Won the Calder Cup and MVP at the age of 19 in the AHL. He's good. He just has to be given a chance.
The Sens will regret this move big time.
Best of luck in your future Robin. So sad to see you go."

I wish they would not have traded Lehner especially within the division.

Don't fool yourself. Lehner will be a really good goaltender for the Sabres. Paul McLean misused this guy big time.

Don't be upset with this Sabres fans. You will come to love this guy, just like most Sens fans did.

Won the Calder Cup and MVP at the age of 19 in the AHL. He's good. He just has to be given a chance.

The Sens will regret this move big time.

Best of luck in your future Robin. So sad to see you go.

That's where I am too. Lehner could wind up being good, but I will still argue that he paid too much with this current buyer's market for Goalies.@BuffaloSabres

WATCH: #Sabres GM Tim Murray speaks with reporters about today's trade & tonight's draft. http://goo.gl/Ug1zn1

#SabresDraft2015

I just can't stay mad at the guy. He is Tim Murray: Zero Phucks Given.

Gotta respect that.

I just can't stay mad at the guy. He is Tim Murray: Zero Phucks Given.

Gotta respect that.

He has conviction and total belief if what he's doing. I do admire that regardless of whether I agree with him on each of his moves.

Isn't Legwand a good player? Does he factor in at all?

He's very near the end. He'll help them get to the Salary Cap floor, but he's not a part of the long term plan. One year left on his contract.

Fair enough, I like it, you don't, time will tell...I like it because we have an quality NHL ready goalie now. Instead of waiting years to see if a late draft pick pans out. for example, in 2011 they selected Joel Armia with the 16th pick. He might be a good NHL player, but he's still not ready...

Well, TMGM could have picked up an UFA like Niemi or traded for an older guy with 2-3 years left if he wanted a goalie "now." I hate giving up #21 in the deepest draft in many years for a guy with a concussion history (pick #51 or even #31 would have been more acceptable, but still open to debate).

Packaging #21 and other assets for a Ryan O'Reiley trade is now off the table, which would have been the most transformative thing Tim could have pulled off, IMO...

Except with the above average depth in this year's draft class, pick #21 is more like #11-14 or even top 10 in a typical year...

It's very comforting to hear that GMTM targeted Lehner as the best goalie available. If he is even close to being right, giving up a #21 pick is a mere pittance.

This ain't the NFL...#21 picks in the 1st round of the NHL are a crap shoot.

It's very comforting to hear that GMTM targeted Lehner as the best goalie available. If he is even close to being right, giving up a #21 pick is a mere pittance.

This ain't the NFL...#21 picks in the 1st round of the NHL are a crap shoot.

@tsnscottcullen

An updated look at the value of each #NHL Draft pick: http://bit.ly/tsnss0625

You should take a look at this TSN piece.

21 St. Louis Robby Fabbri C

Guelph Storm [OHL]

21 Toronto Frederik Gauthier C

Rimouski Oceanic [QMJHL]

21 Calgary Mark Jankowski C Stanstead College (Quebec)

21 Ottawa Stefan Noesen R Plymouth Whalers [OHL]

21 Detroit Riley Sheahan C Notre Dame [CCHA]

21 Columbus John Moore D Chicago Steel [uSHL]

21 Washington Anton Gustafsson C Frolunda Jrs (Sweden)

21 Edmonton Riley Nash C Salmon Arm Silverbacks [bCHL]

21 NY Rangers Bob Sanguinetti D Owen Sound Attack [OHL]

I don't like looking at these things this way. I'd much rather look at a 3-4 pick bubble around those slots since it is such a crap shoot. So just out of curiosity, I'll pull the 22nd pick in each of those seasons:

14: Kasperi Kapanen

13: Emile Poirier

12: Olli Maatta

11: Tyler Biggs

10: Jarred Tinordi

09: Jordan Schroeder

08: Jordan Eberle

07: Max Pacioretty

06: Claude Giroux

So obviously the more recent ones are way too young, but that list of pick #22 sure does present a completely different look. I'm actually surprised how good it is. I wasn't expecting to see that as I started typing this.

I don't like looking at these things this way. I'd much rather look at a 3-4 pick bubble around those slots since it is such a crap shoot. So just out of curiosity, I'll pull the 22nd pick in each of those seasons:

14: Kasperi Kapanen

13: Emile Poirier

12: Olli Maatta

11: Tyler Biggs

10: Jarred Tinordi

09: Jordan Schroeder

08: Jordan Eberle

07: Max Pacioretty

06: Claude Giroux

So obviously the more recent ones are way too young, but that list of pick #22 sure does present a completely different look. I'm actually surprised how good it is. I wasn't expecting to see that as I started typing this.

Wow that blows the other point out of the water

Great post

CBF

CBJ reportedly looking to move up from 8 to get Hannifin. What do you hockey experts think of this? No one in cbus knows anything about hockey.

The Bruins might beat them to the punch by trading Dougie Hamilton to the Coyotes for the #3 pick.