Joe B. predicts the 53 for week 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the politics of cutting Boobie. Whaley brought in both Dixon and Brown. I get that we paid more for Brown, but I don't think that means Whaley is more beholden to him than Dixon.

EDIT: I also don't understand why people think Dez Lewis will make the team with how loaded we are WR right now. He has been hurt so far, and is a rookie. Stash Lewis on the PS, and I would be very surprised to see anyone take him. Then if Harvin acts up you can bring him up, but right now I think Goodwin has to be in.

Edited by YattaOkasan

I don't understand the politics of cutting Boobie. Whaley brought in both Dixon and Brown. I get that we paid more for Brown, but I don't think that means Whaley is more beholden to him than Dixon.

Why do you consider it to be politics?

I think Brown is just a better RB than Boobie. They also just drafted a guy with Boobie's skill set.

I think Brown is just a better RB than Boobie. They also just drafted a guy with Boobie's skill set.

I've heard it referred to as politics which is I framed it that way.

I do think the coaching staff is higher on Dixon, and I honestly prefer him as well. I do understand the argument against him; it just seems that most of it lies in that Brown is Whaley's guy.

Dixon averaged 4.1 ypc to Brown's 3.5. The Brown hype is unreal. Dude has had like 4 good games since high school.

Dixon plays STs as well. I think he makes the team.

Dixon averaged 4.1 ypc to Brown's 3.5. The Brown hype is unreal. Dude has had like 4 good games since high school.

Dixon plays STs as well. I think he makes the team.

I think Dixon's skill set, running style, and situations he was used in helped.

Fred and Spiller only averaged 3.7 and 3.8. I don't think Dixon is better than them, either.

You would think Roman wants Dixon.

I think Goodwin stays & Lewis gets cut. If he clears waivers then he's on Practice Squad.

I agree. But Goodwin has to actually do something. If he is just a smaller, more injury-prone, less talented alternative to Percy Harvin as a deep threat and a KR, then he could be in danger.

That said, I think Lewis can safely be stashed on the practice squad. He is a 7th round pick that went to Central Arkansas.

I think Dixon's skill set, running style, and situations he was used in helped.

Fred and Spiller only averaged 3.7 and 3.8. I don't think Dixon is better than them, either.

SO Brown was the worst one. It's been all hype with him. His ypc has gone down every year. He needs to be amazing in preseason to keep his job.

And Boobie was the best if you're basing your opinion on one stat.

Spiller is no longer here. Jackson and Boobie were better than Brown. Really not that hard. I've never seen a player get so much support who has accomplished so little. His stats have gone down every year. Brown isn't that good and he doesn't play STs.

Spiller is no longer here. Jackson and Boobie were better than Brown. Really not that hard. I've never seen a player get so much support who has accomplished so little. His stats have gone down every year. Brown isn't that good and he doesn't play STs.

They just drafted a big back in Williams who plays ST. They brought in arguably the best FB in the NFL in Felton.

Boobie already played for Roman and was reduced to 4th string. Their backfield wasn't impressive outside of Gore.

Brown's the only guy we have outside of McCoy who has speed, agility, and the skill set to be an all-around back. He had over 10 yards per catch last year. If Marrone/Hackett could've gotten our players the ball in space, you'd probably have a different opinion of Brown. It's the same problem of mismanagement they had with Sammy. They rarely used him in the screen game. Their system was constricting and one-dimensional. Roman's will be more creative and get our RBs outside the hashes more often. That isn't Boobie's area.

McCoy, Fred, and Brown have the ability to be productive in Roman's system. Felton and Williams will have their respective roles. I see Boobie as the odd man out. I guess he coupd stay on for ST over Williams, but I'd bet the Bills just stick with the young guy they drafted. He has more potential.

They just drafted a big back in Williams who plays ST. They brought in arguably the best FB in the NFL in Felton.

Boobie already played for Roman and was reduced to 4th string. Their backfield wasn't impressive outside of Gore.

Brown's the only guy we have outside of McCoy who has speed, agility, and the skill set to be an all-around back. He had over 10 yards per catch last year. If Marrone/Hackett could've gotten our players the ball in space, you'd probably have a different opinion of Brown. It's the same problem of mismanagement they had with Sammy. They rarely used him in the screen game. Their system was constricting and one-dimensional. Roman's will be more creative and get our RBs outside the hashes more often. That isn't Boobie's area.

McCoy, Fred, and Brown have the ability to be productive in Roman's system. Felton and Williams will have their respective roles. I see Boobie as the odd man out. I guess he coupd stay on for ST over Williams, but I'd bet the Bills just stick with the young guy they drafted. He has more potential.

I'm digging on what your saying, but I think Boobie could/will learn to play FB which will make him more valuable. I think we already have our pass catching RBs but could use a little bit of FB depth that Boobie could provide. Overall this is one of the most interesting bubble watches (along with WR).

I'm digging on what your saying, but I think Boobie could/will learn to play FB which will make him more valuable. I think we already have our pass catching RBs but could use a little bit of FB depth that Boobie could provide. Overall this is one of the most interesting bubble watches (along with WR).

What about John Connor (who Rex likes) and again Karlos Williams (the draftee they'll try to develop)?

Love Dixon as a member of the team. Hard to quantify what he means to the locker room. His value there could be overstated. As a RB, I haven't been overly impressed. He seems to be a decent contributor on special teams, but again, not sure if he's been that outstanding there. If Karlos Williams is an upgrade, you can't save roster spots because you like a guy.

Hope he earns a spot based on his play.

What about John Connor (who Rex likes) and again Karlos Williams (the draftee they'll try to develop)?

I don't think Connor makes it because he is too one dimensional, and while Karlos is big I'm not sure he's FB material (I don't think he can put the hurt on a LB).

Again, I think you points are very valid, and I find this position battle difficult to discern.

However, I think its Shady, Fred, Karlos, and Boobie at the end of the day. I am also expecting to see Harvin and maybe even Sammy line up in the back field this year.

Edited by YattaOkasan

I suspect they teach Connor the offense in camp, and pick him up during the season if they need him. I think it's that way with a lot of guys who get brought into camp. Since trips to IR are a depressing reality in the NFL, it's great to have guys you had in camp who can come in as replacements and be more or less up to speed on the scheme.

I suspect they teach Connor the offense in camp, and pick him up during the season if they need him. I think it's that way with a lot of guys who get brought into camp. Since trips to IR are a depressing reality in the NFL, it's great to have guys you had in camp who can come in as replacements and be more or less up to speed on the scheme.

yep. they are competely banking on using a FB in this offense. If Felton gets hurt, they have to have someone ready to go. It makes sense to have him in camp.

yep. they are competely banking on using a FB in this offense. If Felton gets hurt, they have to have someone ready to go. It makes sense to have him in camp.

I can't wait to watch Felton in this O. Love me some FB.

Frank the Tank should come back, too.

I am interested to see how both TE's and FB are used. I am picturing a lot of Clay lining up in the FB position to lead block (or pull from a stance).

lets not act like boobie is a great back. roman let him walk at his current contract. ditching him would save a solid million in cap space and some real dollars, and he doesnt do anything that isnt potentially replaceable.

that would likely be the primary argument to move on. essentially, why not?

Interesting how the debate at WR seems to have turned into Goodwin vs. Lewis. This went on for a while in another 53-roster thread, as well.

Personally, I think Lewis offers the team attributes that none of our other WRs have, whereas Goodwin is all speed, and not enough production.

And, I'm glad Hogan is getting the respect he deserves. For a while, the debate seemed to be Goodwin vs. Hogan.

I think Brown goes before Boobie because of special teams

Did I hear correctly that Boobie blocked 3 punts last year? I thought I heard that tidbit recently. That is a huge bonus.

I have been a Bryce Brown fan, but extremely disappointed in what he has shown so far. Part of it was Fu$%face Marrone's doghouse concept, but maybe Bryce has no heart, like someone just said in this thread.

Bryce has a lot to prove in camp this year. A 4th rounder is not such a big investment that you can't just move on from Bryce if he does not start to excel.

Fwiw Vic Carucci thinks 6'3 Justin Brown could emerge in TC to make the roster.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06/20/bills-mailbag-who-will-be-the-odd-man-out-on-contract-extensions/

I read that too. we should keep an eye on him. first i have really heard about the man.

Boobies' exp and skillset should be an asset unless they are keeping two FBs and K Williams. Brown is gone. i still think they try to keep Goodwin till the bitter end.

maybe he has decided that track and field is where he belongs. he has already come up limping per tweeters.

but i agree with K tD. 3 tes six wrs

it is fun to watch. But i think the whole offense is still up in the air from a fans perspective. and its exciting honestly. Boobie at fullback should be an option if they lose Conner. anyone think K Williams can lead block btw? he is abit light. but could create some interesting pre snap shifts. like moving Harvin over behind him?

I don't think Connor makes it because he is too one dimensional, and while Karlos is big I'm not sure he's FB material (I don't think he can put the hurt on a LB).

Again, I think you points are very valid, and I find this position battle difficult to discern.

However, I think its Shady, Fred, Karlos, and Boobie at the end of the day. I am also expecting to see Harvin and maybe even Sammy line up in the back field this year.

oops i should have read all the way through. BTW you are a genius

Miss the Tank of Frank. love the conceptual side of running heavy. felton has more swerve and hands. But gimme a grinder all day with some guards that can move the line of scrimmage two yards

Interesting how the debate at WR seems to have turned into Goodwin vs. Lewis. This went on for a while in another 53-roster thread, as well.

Personally, I think Lewis offers the team attributes that none of our other WRs have, whereas Goodwin is all speed, and not enough production.

And, I'm glad Hogan is getting the respect he deserves. For a while, the debate seemed to be Goodwin vs. Hogan.

oh it still is.

if the Bills feel they can stash some guys like Lewis on PS safely

Edited by 3rdand12

Unless of course Sammy, rw, Percy, Easley and the winner of this battle leave hogan on the outside. That might really chap you, eh?

lets not act like boobie is a great back. roman let him walk at his current contract. ditching him would save a solid million in cap space and some real dollars, and he doesnt do anything that isnt potentially replaceable.

that would likely be the primary argument to move on. essentially, why not?

Oh agreed. I just don't think Brown is good and doesn't play STs. I'd much rather keep Dixon over Brown. Brown is the most hyped, least productive player the Bills have had in a long time.

Joe B. is comical. This same guy pretty much lobbied for Hackett as HC on WGR. Ok..frigging Nate Hackett.

His columns are worthless and laughable. I'd rather read Jerry Sullivan.

My sources say Hackett was the only coach who would actually talk to Joe B. Thus, he started lobbying for his friend to get jobs. Happens all the time in the media.