53-yr-old Herschel Walker says he can still play in NFL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Herschel say this pretty much every year? It used to be Jim Brown, but then I guess even he realized it was starting to sound ridiculous....

Imagine all the Ensure that combined backfield would go through...

Doesn't Herschel say this pretty much every year? It used to be Jim Brown, but then I guess even he realized it was starting to sound ridiculous....

I wonder who will take up the mantle once Herschel retires from the gig. Emmitt Smith?

He might very well be able to - for one week. When he played ~20 yrs ago, he was elite, so it's quite possible that if he kept himself in shape, he would still have the abilities of a lower echelon player. However, as a "weekend athlete" not much younger than him, I can emphatically state that a ~50 yr old body does NOT recover like a ~20 yr olds. Further, what I recover from (actually, I'm pretty much in a constant state of one thing or another being semi-injured ;) ) is in NO way at the same level of what I can only imagine is the wear/damage inflicted playing an NFL game.

Typical old guy... Wants all the gravy work. Hey Hersch... How 'bout carrying the rock for 30 carries a game. Yeah, I though so.

Who pissed in your Cherios? He probably cound handle a RB by committee role for a few games, which is all he's saying...

He might very well be able to - for one week. When he played ~20 yrs ago, he was elite

Hershel Walker was never elite in the NFL. College, sure. USFL, yep. Once he stepped in with the big boys he was a pretty good player, but nothing to write home about.

Hershel Walker was never elite in the NFL. College, sure. USFL, yep. Once he stepped in with the big boys he was a pretty good player, but nothing to write home about.

I'll concede, maybe calling him "elite" might be overly generous, but he was a starting caliber RB who rushed for 1000 yrs 2x. Certainly not a bottom rung, borderline journeymen.

I'll concede, maybe calling him "elite" might be overly generous, but he was a starting caliber RB who rushed for 1000 yrs 2x. Certainly not a bottom rung, borderline journeymen.

Twice went to the Pro Bowl, right? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else....anyway, no. If he could still play, then why did he retire so early?

Edited by LeGOATski