Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

I don't agree with that at all. EJ has to prove that he can read defenses and make decisions when the heat is on and throw the ball with good fundamentals and accuracy when that happens. Nothing he has been put through so far would show that. Cassel has proven he can do that at least on a manageable basis.

Good reasonable post.

EJ may or not have a great camp. He could throw 10 td's in pre season. it's when the bullets start flying. That count.

In the past there have been more than 1 QB who looked well pretty darn good in pre season.

As we know that changed game one. One time it went to game 6 i think before it fell apart.

Too much riding this year to go in with one guy who started 14 games and one who never started. cassels salary

Is peanuts for an insurance policy.

But a tip of the hat to roadhack for typing that out in his moms basement.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with that at all. EJ has to prove that he can read defenses and make decisions when the heat is on and throw the ball with good fundamentals and accuracy when that happens. Nothing he has been put through so far would show that. Cassel has proven he can do that at least on a manageable basis.

There was no reason whatsoever for Cassel to fall flat on his face in that last OTA. That's kind of a red flag for a guy with his veteran experience, right? I'm actually starting to question Cassel's total commitment to the game. What I mean by that is that I wonder if he's putting in the same time, work and effort that Manuel's putting in.

Was Cassel "mailing it in" thinking he's a cinch to win the starting job? Is he purposely not giving full effort because he doesn't actually want the starting job, maybe because he's fearing a serious injury that would effect his quality of life after the game? Does he have one foot out of the NFL and he just hasn't told anybody yet? Sometimes when you have life by the you-know-what's, you start questioning is the health risk worth it anymore. Even much younger guys are retiring from the game now.

There's something about Cassel that just isn't ringing true to me. I could be totally wrong about having my doubts, but I honestly do. I think there's very little chance he wins the starting job and I also think he may be cut before it's all said and done.

Good reasonable post.

EJ may or not have a great camp. He could throw 10 td's in pre season. it's when the bullets start flying. That count.

In the past there have been more than 1 QB who looked well pretty darn good in pre season.

As we know that changed game one. One time it went to game 6 i think before it fell apart.

Too much riding this year to go in with one guy who started 14 games and one who never started. cassels salary

Is peanuts for an insurance policy.

But a tip of the hat to roadhack for typing that out in his moms basement.

Bingo. We know some about E.J., we know very little about Taylor.

This is a playoff team with adequate QB play, from someone.

EJ had two stinkers that followed two games of pretty solid play last year.

It's been a completely mixed bag for EJ through 2 seasons. Some very good (i.e. his home game against the Jets as a rookie, and the final 3 Qs against Jax), some very bad (Houston, TB), and a whole bunch of in between.

That said, I understand why he was benched last year, and it turned out to be the right move.

At the same time, that doesn't preclude him from becoming a solid player this year. Is it likely? IMO, no, it's not. Is it possible? Absolutely. Furthermore, I think EJ is the team's best chance to get good QB play this year.

I agree with everything Bandit says here up until the last sentence where I am still wavering... but I am closer to thinking this now that at any time since last season finished.

Let me ask you guys something. What do you think are the percent chances that EJ a) wins the job this summer, b) plays well enough to keep the job all season, does a solid job and leads the Bills to the playoffs and c) is the Bills' unquestioned starter week 1 2017.

I'd go:

a) 30%

b) 14%

c) 9%

What say you?

Good question.

a) 50% (up from 20% 4 weeks ago)

b) 30%

c) 5%

And I don't think b) and c) are the same.... c) specifies "unquestioned" starter - and even if a) and b) both happen I believe there will be a significant number of fans on here and elsewhere who still insist he can't be our guy.

Edited by GunnerBill

There was no reason whatsoever for Cassel to fall flat on his face in that last OTA. That's kind of a red flag for a guy with his veteran experience, right? I'm actually starting to question Cassel's total commitment to the game. What I mean by that is that I wonder if he's putting in the same time, work and effort that Manuel's putting in.

Was Cassel "mailing it in" thinking he's a cinch to win the starting job? Is he purposely not giving full effort because he doesn't actually want the starting job, maybe because he's fearing a serious injury that would effect his quality of life after the game? Does he have one foot out of the NFL and he just hasn't told anybody yet? Sometimes when you have life by the you-know-what's, you start questioning is the health risk worth it anymore. Even much younger guys are retiring from the game now.

There's something about Cassel that just isn't ringing true to me. I could be totally wrong about having my doubts, but I honestly do. I think there's very little chance he wins the starting job and I also think he may be cut before it's all said and done.

I'm a conspiracy theorist too!! I was wondering if he was trying to get cut in order to return to NE. NE could use a veteran QB behind Brady so that Garropolo can continue to develop

I agree with everything Bandit says here up until the last sentence where I am still wavering... but I am closer to thinking this now that at any time since last season finished.

Good question.

a) 50% (up from 20% 4 weeks ago)

b) 30%

c) 5%

And I don't think b) and c) are the same.... c) specifies "unquestioned" starter - and even if a) and b) both happen I believe there will be a significant number of fans on here and elsewhere who still insist he can't be our guy.

Unquestioned isn't referring to fans, it's talking about the team. If b, EJ plays solid and makes the playoffs, then there is 0 chance he isn't starting the next year. It will be unquestioned. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

May be we should question the ability of the OL too. The OL has been below average during the OTAs.

May be we should question the ability of the OL too. The OL has been below average during the OTAs.

To be fair to the OL, not only are they facing the best DL in the NFL, they're also doing it in shorts. There's no way to gauge OL play in shorts, good or bad. So I wouldn't worry too much about the OL... yet.

To be fair to the OL, not only are they facing the best DL in the NFL, they're also doing it in shorts. There's no way to gauge OL play in shorts, good or bad. So I wouldn't worry too much about the OL... yet.

But then how is it fair to single out the QB play (in shorts) when playing against the best DL. We can't have it both ways. Currently, this OL is pretty suspect. They were horrible last year. They set history in rushing the ball for the fewest yards.

Not to model too many tin foil hats, but if Rex ordered the Bills starting DL held out of 11 on 11 (either to get a look at what the QB could do against a lesser D, or to build confidence, whatever), is it possible that he had a little word with Cassel? "Hey Matt, you know and I know what you can do, TC is where it'll really start, let's give the kids a little positive PR going into the break (nudge nudge wink)."

Either that or maybe at age 33, he's doing a Schaub

Hey guys, any new news or opinions on that EJ fella?

This is what I think of EJ Manuel, of all his 14 games started, I liked him in 7 games (NE, CAR, NYJx2, CLE, ATL, JAX) where I think he showed promise, he was meh in 3 games (CHI, MIA, HOU) and really bad in 4 games (BAL, TB, PIT, SD)

It's worrisome that he was better early on his carreer with little signs of progression going forward. Was it him? or was it subpar coaching? He needs to earn the trust of his new coaches if he wants to be given more chances to further his development.

This is what I think of EJ Manuel, of all his 14 games started, I liked him in 7 games (NE, CAR, NYJx2, CLE, ATL, JAX) where I think he showed promise, he was meh in 3 games (CHI, MIA, HOU) and really bad in 4 games (BAL, TB, PIT, SD)

It's worrisome that he was better early on his carreer with little signs of progression going forward. Was it him? or was it subpar coaching? He needs to earn the trust of his new coaches if he wants to be given more chances to further his development.

Why is it worrisome? All developmental QBs go through growing pains. We only saw 14 of those developmental games. If you weren't expecting some bad games, then you had the wrong expectations. People always throw out the term "sophomore slump" but that doesn't apply to the QB for some reason. Not to mention the O-line everybody complains about...Our developing QB is supposed to be great behind that? He may not become a good QB, but why are we worried in this developmental stage?

He'll be starting his 15th game this year. Let's see if the Bills can finally develop a good QB.

I think EJ lost his confidence and started waiting for the receivers to come out of the break with no anticipation. He was unsuccessful and the coaches did not help him.

I think EJ lost his confidence and started waiting for the receivers to come out of the break with no anticipation. He was unsuccessful and the coaches did not help him.

I could be wrong and often am, but weren't a lot of EJ's inaccurate throws, especially middle yardage, behind the receivers?

Then there are the long bombs where he overthrew, but that's a different issue.

And he had two rookie linemen who didn't even try to block JJ Watt. You're right. The coaching only helped EJ struggle. Let's all keep that in mind. Hopefully the new staff has a good handle on the rest of the O. If EJ sinks, then he sinks.