Article: E.J. is beating out Cassel and Taylor in OTA's

pbanach

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he had to cut it down for EJ.

Yeah. He was the only one that struggled with it.

The linemen were great. They picked up every stunt. They created huge holes for CJ Spiller, who saw every wide-open gap and ran wild.

That whole offense was well-executed, but our sure-fire prospect at QB just plain failed.

But then how is it fair to single out the QB play (in shorts) when playing against the best DL. We can't have it both ways. Currently, this OL is pretty suspect. They were horrible last year. They set history in rushing the ball for the fewest yards.

I guess what I was saying is OTA practices in shorts aren't great for evaluation of players at any position -- but especially OL. Worry about the OL if they continue to look bad when the pads come on, but any hand wringing over how they looked in shorts (filtered through a media lens rather than coaching lens) is academic. It's almost as worthless as worrying about how they looked last year -- under different coaches and schemes.

I believe that Matt Simms is eligible for the PS again but not positive. If that's the case, AND Manuel and Taylor play reasonably well, AND Cassel craps the bed, AND they feel like they really need the roster spot for another player they hate to cut, I can see them releasing Cassel and cutting Simms and signing him to the PS and keeping just EJ and TT.

Dog, I'm pretty certain he has no practice squad eligibility left. Here are the rules:

"A player can be eligible if he does not have an accrued season in the NFL, although the NFL has now approved a maximum of two spots on the PS for players with no more than two accrued seasons. To have an accrued season, you have to be active for at least six regular-season games. A player can also go to the practice squad with an accrued season provided they were on the 45-man active roster for less than nine-regular season games."

In 2013, Simms was the only other QB on the roster ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2013_roster.htm), and played in 3 games. His first occurred against the Bills, and after that there were seven games left. I think the Jets may have liked him; he played pretty well in the final preseason game of 2013, playing the whole game and going 33-44 for 285 yards against the Eagles. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Simms ) . One other cite: he was the second-string backup for the entire 2013 season. I forgot about Sanchez's injury: http://www.webcitation.org/6Yt6hpKKp. That means he certainly surpassed the 9-game limit.

In 2014, he was activated from the PS on November 1, and the Jets had 8 games left. Given the Jets' very shaky QB situation, I doubt he was inactive for any of those games. But I don't know.

Another interesting thing to think about in the context of this conversation: unless I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am), Rex is the sort of coach happy to go with 2 QBs on the roster. In 2013 it really looks like the Jets only carried 2 QBs all season, and last year their 3rd stringer was on the practice squad until Nov 1 (leaving Smith and Vick as the only Qbs on the roster). Something to think about as we debate which three are going to make it.

Anyway, don't rule out Simms as part of the mix.

Edited by dave mcbride

Dog, I'm pretty certain he has no practice squad eligibility left. Here are the rules:

"A player can be eligible if he does not have an accrued season in the NFL, although the NFL has now approved a maximum of two spots on the PS for players with no more than two accrued seasons. To have an accrued season, you have to be active for at least six regular-season games. A player can also go to the practice squad with an accrued season provided they were on the 45-man active roster for less than nine-regular season games."

In 2013, Simms was the only other QB on the roster ( http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2013_roster.htm), and played in 3 games. His first occurred against the Bills, and after that there were seven games left. I think the Jets may have liked him; he played pretty well in the final preseason game of 2013, playing the whole game and going 33-44 for 285 yards against the Eagles. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Simms ) . One other cite: he was the second-string backup for the entire 2013 season. I forgot about Sanchez's injury: http://www.webcitation.org/6Yt6hpKKp. That means he certainly surpassed the 9-game limit.

In 2014, he was activated from the PS on November 1, and the Jets had 8 games left. Given the Jets' very shaky QB situation, I doubt he was inactive for any of those games. But I don't know.

Another interesting thing to think about in the context of this conversation: unless I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am), Rex is the sort of coach happy to go with 2 QBs on the roster. In 2013 it really looks like the Jets only carried 2 QBs all season, and last year their 3rd stringer was on the practice squad until Nov 1 (leaving Smith and Vick as the only Qbs on the roster). Something to think about as we debate which three are going to make it.

Especially since he is Rex's boy. Is anyone else getting a little annoyed that Rex keeps replacing mediocre Bills players with mediocre Jets players?

Especially since he is Rex's boy. Is anyone else getting a little annoyed that Rex keeps replacing mediocre Bills players with mediocre Jets players?

Well, Cassel is neither mediocre (he's below average) nor a pre-Rex Bill. Taylor isn't a pre-Rex Bill either. The only one is Manuel.

He was eligible for the practice squad last year, and then they increased the eligibility substantially. I went to look on a Jet board and the only mention of it was some fan who thought he was indeed eligible for this season. I was worried he wasn't going to be because of his status in 2013 but since he was eligible last year and I do not think he was active for nine games last year, I think he may be okay. I doubt very much he will make the active roster though. I'm beginning to think more and more we will only keep two, simply because of the need/want for 3-4 TEs, the talent and stature of 3-4 RB, the need for a FB, the talent of Goodwin and Hogan (if not Justin Brown or Dez Lewis), etc. We need the extra spot.

I also just looked up a random game late in the season, the Bills 38-3 shellacking of the Jets and Matt Simms was on the active 53 roster but not active for the game.

So it seems like he will be eligible.

I now think he's eligible. (See the other thread.)

Edited by dave mcbride

Because he had to cut it down for EJ.

BS on a number of counts

1 - in 2013 as I identified prior he waited until mid DECEMBER to do so he also cut it back / didn't use it for Tuel and Thad.

2 - IF he attempted to develop EJ during the off season he should have implemented the same in the following season.

or

3 - maybe he scrapped it because he knew the old fart KO couldn't cut the mustard. sarc because Orton came in late training camp. meaning the plan not to use it was already in place

3a - it was a dumb ideal in the first place

4 - maybe he never wanted to play EJ at all and gave Orton a month to adjust.

HGH

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Yeah. He was the only one that struggled with it.

The linemen were great. They picked up every stunt. They created huge holes for CJ Spiller, who saw every wide-open gap and ran wild.

That whole offense was well-executed, but our sure-fire prospect at QB just plain failed.

ROTFLMAO

FWIW the Colts dumped / traded a mediocre to the Bills....what was his name????

BS on a number of counts

1 - in 2013 as I identified prior he waited until mid DECEMBER to do so he also cut it back / didn't use it for Tuel and Thad.

2 - IF he attempted to develop EJ during the off season he should have implemented the same in the following season.

or

3 - maybe he scrapped it because he knew the old fart KO couldn't cut the mustard. sarc because Orton came in late training camp. meaning the plan not to use it was already in place

3a - it was a dumb ideal in the first place

4 - maybe he never wanted to play EJ at all and gave Orton a month to adjust.

HGH

When should a offense be changed? Before it doesn't work or after?

What nonsense.

Unquestioned isn't referring to fans, it's talking about the team. If b, EJ plays solid and makes the playoffs, then there is 0 chance he isn't starting the next year. It will be unquestioned.

Depends on your interpretation doesn't it? I think "unquestioned starter" means the team's brass and an overwhelming majority support from the fanbase. If EJ starts 16 games and takes us to the playoffs in 2015 he will be the opening day starter in 2016 I have little doubt... but will there be that overwhelming consensus that this is our guy around him? I don't think so.

As an example - I wouldn't call Andy Dalton the "unquestioned starter" in Cincinnati. I'd say he is the best Quarterback on their roster, but here are sufficient question marks around him to prevent him being an unquestioned franchise guy.

Depends on your interpretation doesn't it? I think "unquestioned starter" means the team's brass and an overwhelming majority support from the fanbase. If EJ starts 16 games and takes us to the playoffs in 2015 he will be the opening day starter in 2016 I have little doubt... but will there be that overwhelming consensus that this is our guy around him? I don't think so.

As an example - I wouldn't call Andy Dalton the "unquestioned starter" in Cincinnati. I'd say he is the best Quarterback on their roster, but here are sufficient question marks around him to prevent him being an unquestioned franchise guy.

I'm curious as to how you reach this opinion on a series of events and circumstances that have yet to occur.

I'm curious as to how you reach this opinion on a series of events and circumstances that have yet to occur.

Edited by DerekJ