Lawrence Phillips' Letters From Jail - "It's a Jungle.&#34

Unfortunately, jail is the best thing for some people. Especially pampered star athletes. A real punishment can help you regain focus. I went to Canisius High School and I hated the rules at the time. But as I get older, I realize how much it helped shaped me to the fine, respectable man I currently am. :)

Also, killing is wrong, but when it's a murderer, I shed less tears.

Very very interesting.

In my old job I worked for an outsourcing company and the client I worked for was the service provider for all jail calls in the US.

The inmates family and friends would call us to set up their account so they could take the collect calls.

Man I heard some crazy stories and even some celebs and people from the media

CBF

Unfortunately, jail is the best thing for some people. Especially pampered star athletes. A real punishment can help you regain focus. I went to Canisius High School and I hated the rules at the time. But as I get older, I realize how much it helped shaped me to the fine, respectable man I currently am. :)

I am also a chs grad and you're absolutely correct.

Phillips is talking about these guys being animals and yet he just murdered his cell mate recently. No wonder he keeps getting solitary.

Quite the collection of letters will make for an interesting trial. A case could be made for premeditated murder based on his hate of gangbangers, or for true self defense based on his fear of what gangbangers do in prison.

Phillips is talking about these guys being animals and yet he just murdered his cell mate recently. No wonder he keeps getting solitary.

Smart man. :)

And I think there was info that the guy Phillips murdered was a gang member and he was trying to take out Phillips to make a name for himself. He also was in jail for murder. Murder is wrong but I shed less tears for this guy.

interesting stuff. if genuine, the realization that "i now know what it must have been like for people trying to help me" is a big one. even if it is genuine though, it can be tough to keep that proper head space when surrounded with crazy and/or unsafe situations and feeling like you have no way to get away from the madness.

Another Crusader here. :thumbsup:

Smart man. :)

And I think there was info that the guy Phillips murdered was a gang member and he was trying to take out Phillips to make a name for himself. He also was in jail for murder. Murder is wrong but I shed less tears for this guy.

Yeah and also remember Phillips wanted to stay in solitary confinment because he knew he would always be a target but those dumb officers took him out anyway and you see the result. L.PHILLIPS made enough bad decisions in his life but I think it's more to story with the killing of his cell mate

Phillips has done some stupid things, but he hadn't killed anyone.

He put himself in this situation, but to condemn him for this death without even hearing proper evidence is harsh judgement. There certainly is a chance that it was "kill or be killed". The guy that died was in for 1st degree murder...

It's clear from his writing that he is reasonably intelligent (it's better than most poster's on this board). His problems were emotional.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Phillips has done some stupid things, but he hadn't killed anyone.

This itself is mostly luck. In 1995 he pled no-contest to dragging his girlfriend out of their house by her hair, down 3 flights of stairs, before bashing her head into a mailbox. In 2005 he was accused, and later convicted, of twice choking his girlfriend unconscious, and another time knocking her head into their bathtub. Who knows what he did in the middle, but I'm sure we haven't heard all of it -- just the parts that almost killed women.

I'm not saying that you in particular were arguing this, but as a contribution to this thread -- Lawrence Phillips is not someone that just needed to learn a lesson or someone to pity. He's a scumbag of the highest (lowest?) order and a neanderthal.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world/lawrence-phillips-convicted-of-assaulting-his-girlfriend_100232028.html

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/apr/19/bianchi-what-if-aaron-hernandez-lawrence-phillips/

Reading that made me sad.

I know he's in there for a reason and I agree that he belongs in there. I'm sure most of the guys in there, belong there, too.

I think it's inhumane to pack 3,700 inmates into a 2,500 inmate prison. They are still human beings.

It's not fair to any human being, criminal or not, in my opinion. It's certainly not fair to the C.O.s.

Their freedoms are gone. I'm all for that. But keep them locked up so they can't hurt each other/hurt the C.O.s, for Christ's sake. There's got to be a better way; a way in which they don't need to live in fear every waking moment of their lives. What good does that do anyone?

Edited by Gugny

I know he's in there for a reason and I agree that he belongs in there. I'm sure most of the guys in there, belong there, too.

I think it's inhumane to pack 3,700 inmates into a 2,500 inmate prison. They are still human beings.

It's not fair to any human being, criminal or not, in my opinion. It's certainly not fair to the C.O.s.

They're freedoms are gone. I'm all for that. But keep them locked up so they can't hurt each other/hurt the C.O.s, for Christ's sake. There's got to be a better way; a way in which they don't need to live in fear every waking moment of their lives. What good does that do anyone?

Exactly where I sit. How in the world is anyone supposed to come out of that experience "better" for it. I get the need for punishment but lack of safety shouldn't be a significant portion of it by any means. I know it's to a degree inherent in housing large volumes of criminals together but it shouldn't be that hard for a guy to avoid it if he wants to.

I get the need for punishment but lack of safety shouldn't be a significant portion of it by any means. I know it's to a degree inherent in housing large volumes of criminals together but it shouldn't be that hard for a guy to avoid it if he wants to.

+1

Phillips has beautiful cursive writing. I wonder how many kids today can write in cursive. There is much more to communication then texting and instagram

not going to lie, i'm envious of his penmanship.

Their freedoms are gone. I'm all for that. But keep them locked up so they can't hurt each other/hurt the C.O.s, for Christ's sake. There's got to be a better way; a way in which they don't need to live in fear every waking moment of their lives. What good does that do anyone?

Your post just brought to mind the article about that prison that was left to rot because it was too expensive to open it and operate it. Apparently, warehousing thousands of people costs money. Sigh.

I think that's debatable.

There's one easy answer to prison overcrowding and it involves a ditch at the back of the property.

No, he put an animal to sleep....