Bills concerned Bryce Brown won't catch up; missing time

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't that bad of a trade. Brown's upside was worth the 4th. He is an explosive, low-mileage RB that showed flashes when given the chance to start in McCoy's absence. I think seeing that sort of production in two NFL games is worth more than the typical 4th round choice. And given the struggles of our running game last year, maybe it wasn't all his fault he didn't contribute when called upon. But the insurance he provided warranted the trade since CJ and Fred both went down. If not fot the fumble against KC we could be looking at him differently.

But didn't we essentially trade Stevie for him? Does that change anyone's opinion of the trade?

Yes I would rate Stevie as more valuable, so to me it kind of stung. He can prove me right or wrong this year with Philip Rivers throwing to him though.

Edit: I know, I know, Bryce was a promising young RB, but I think veteran WR experience would've helped last year.

Edited by What a Tuel

It wasn't that bad of a trade. Brown's upside was worth the 4th. He is an explosive, low-mileage RB that showed flashes when given the chance to start in McCoy's absence. I think seeing that sort of production in two NFL games is worth more than the typical 4th round choice. And given the struggles of our running game last year, maybe it wasn't all his fault he didn't contribute when called upon. But the insurance he provided warranted the trade since CJ and Fred both went down. If not fot the fumble against KC we could be looking at him differently.

But didn't we essentially trade Stevie for him? Does that change anyone's opinion of the trade?

Considering Bills traded Lynch for a 4th, giving that up for Brown was overpaying. And I'm not even looking through the KC fumble. He could not beat out Boobie to be the clear No. 1 when Fred & Spiller were out, and that forced the team to rush both players back in action before they were ready.

Considering Bills traded Lynch for a 4th, giving that up for Brown was overpaying. And I'm not even looking through the KC fumble. He could not beat out Boobie to be the clear No. 1 when Fred & Spiller were out, and that forced the team to rush both players back in action before they were ready.

The situation surrounding Lynch was different. I know it sucks to see him crushing it in Seattle, but it was what it was. Let's not downplay Boobie. He led the team in YPC. The run game was all kinds of bad last year for several reasons.

I think the value of the Brown trade was very fair, as No Saint reiterated. Though I do think the drafting of Karlos indicated that the staff does not feel confident in Brown's development.

Yes I would rate Stevie as more valuable, so to me it kind of stung. He can prove me right or wrong this year with Philip Rivers throwing to him though.

Edit: I know, I know, Bryce was a promising young RB, but I think veteran WR experience would've helped last year.

Sure would have been nice to have SJ13 out there with Watkins and Woods, but I think the savings from trading him and eventually getting Percy make up for it. And I, for one, thought Mike Williams was going to be more significant to our passing game at the time we made the trade.

He's talented, so I don't hate the trade... but he's definitely looking like the odd man out, unless he comes back and wows.

Hopefully his family situation resolves itself and isn't too serious. For all we know his mom is dying, so I'll reserve judgement.

with him being on his rookie deal, its nearly no different than drafting a mid round guy.

Agreed. The risk / reward was modest and Brown provided insurance that (at the time) was worth it.

Whaley is aggressive, which means sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. I hope Doug doesn't change--after so many timid GMs (Polian aside), that's a hell of a lot better than not playing the game at all....

Edited by Lurker

Pffft. It's just a little putting him on notice that he's accountable to show up in shape and with his head deep in the playbook when he arrives. The roster is still going to be decided by training camp and preseason, and if Brown shows up fast, hungry, and hard-working he's got a chance due to the same native abilities that made the Iggles draft him and Whaley trade for him.

The thing about Brown, for those who don't remember, is this is a kid who has really played very little football since highschool. He played a mighty 14 games total in 2 years of college ball, separated by a year of ineligibility. He's had more than 10 attempts per game 4 games as a pro with 2 teams, exactly 3 games where he broke 100 ypg - 226 carries overall in 3 seasons. He's really very inexperienced.

The gouge on him coming out into the NFL draft was here was a kid who never really wanted to play college ball, he was looking past college to a pro career and he should get a shot because of his tremendous natural talent. But maybe, just maybe, he really doesn't have that fire in the belly to play football at all when it moves past the "backyard ball" level and he has to put his head in the books, or when he can't just expect to bounce outside the tackles and break off a big gain 'cuz he's a cheetah playing with chow-chows. Now he's a cheetah playing with cheetahs.

I understand why Whaley traded for him. We had CJ, who is all about speed but had been injured, and FredEx, the oldest back in the league. A quality backup was needed. Guys with CJ-level speed don't grow on trees. Bryce Brown has CJ-level speed, he can catch, he could be had for a 4th round pick. It made a lot of sense at the time and it paid off when both CJ and FredEx got hurt.

But if Brown wants to stay on this years Bills, he has to put in the work. That's the message he's being sent. And I don't know if he realizes it yet, but he may be short on options if he doesn't stick with the Bills. He's now 6 years and 4 programs away from being a 5-star recruit "top running back in the country". He was drafted despite leaving 2 different college programs in the lurch because of his tremendous physical talent, but teams are going to be feeling it's time for him to settle down and show us something, or "next man up" 'cuz who needs a guy who'll no-show or quit on the team.

Edited by Hopeful

@caplannfl: Reason why #Bills RB Bryce Brown isn't at voluntary workouts: Birth of his child.

Don't they have maternity hospitals in B'lo? I kid, I kid - his Babymama likely wants to stay where she's got family and friends, that's reasonable.

But in that case, betting is he's gonna show up fat sluggish and sleep deprived, not lean mean and studious.

@caplannfl: Reason why #Bills RB Bryce Brown isn't at voluntary workouts: Birth of his child.

Which explains why he's not there this week, but doesn't explain Lynns comments about him being five weeks behind.

Which explains why he's not there this week, but doesn't explain Lynns comments about him being five weeks behind.

They haven't been meeting daily for 5 weeks so if he missed this and like 1 other session he could be waaaay behind on the calendar

At the time of the trade, I was in favor in it as he was fast, hard hitting and I was sick of the negative runs with Spiller, and Fred was getting older. The year before Fred and Spiller were both hurt.

It's tough to predict the fumbling, but it happened. He now sees the writing on the wall with two FB's, Fred, our draft, Shady, and Boobie who played very well last year in the offense and on ST.

Brown is as good as done. I wonder if we keep both FB's given the pounding and expected injuries so have a stable. Fred's in his last year for sure, so drop Brown, Fred leaves, and we still have a decent stable for 2016.