Bills concerned Bryce Brown won't catch up; missing time

He did beat out Boobie. When Fred and Spiller did not start Brown started. He was brought in to be the third RB. That's what he was. And I'm talking ability not potential.

Rex knows his name. He was making a point. Lynn even said that yesterday.

Exactly by which measure did he beat out Boobie? Plays, carries, yards?

He started the Jets game, and was immediately pulled after the first play.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

either way, i have a hard time centering an argument around "marrone benched him" as we have plenty of reason to wonder about his judgement. dealing with the marrone factor makes discussion on last years team and projecting ability/role to this year a bit tough at times. Edited by NoSaint

either way, i have a hard time centering an argument around "marrone benched him" as we have plenty of reason to wonder about his judgement. dealing with the marrone factor makes discussion on last years team and projecting ability/role to this year a bit tough at times.

If that was the only mark, then I'd give Brown a bigger benefit of doubt, but when you roll that in with his NCAA career stalling, nosediving in the draft, Chip looking to add to the position despite Brown's potential and performance in Philly, Chip's eagerness to dump him, Marrone burying him on the inactive squad, not getting more carries than Boobie, not showing up for any offseason workouts, and earning a doghouse seat with the new coaching staff certainly implies that the ability will never match the potential.

He started both games Fred and Spiller were hurt. I'm not saying he played well. He didn't. All I'm saying is a trade for Bryce Brown for a 4th round pick a year later, which is a 5th round pick, when he is 24 and has had huge games in actual NFL regular season games when you have both starting RBs as injury and FA concerns is a very sound strategy and the work of a smart GM. He did the same thing with the WR but his coach didn't cooperate.

He started both games Fred and Spiller were hurt. I'm not saying he played well. He didn't. All I'm saying is a trade for Bryce Brown for a 4th round pick a year later, which is a 5th round pick, when he is 24 and has had huge games in actual NFL regular season games when you have both starting RBs as injury and FA concerns is a very sound strategy and the work of a smart GM. He did the same thing with the WR but his coach didn't cooperate.

And it gets back to Whaley's ability to identify the correct players on offense, where he's had more misses than hits. While effectively trading a 5th round pick for an insurance RB may be sound, it's too high of a price for an inconsistent performer. For comparison, the much derided Bilal Powell was more productive than Brown in '12-'13. Heck, Eagles got a more productive Sproles for a 5th rounder.

There are some plausible scenarios where Brown makes the team. First, someone else gets hurt. Second, someone else (Fred Jackson) loses a step or a couple of steps, and the Bills decide to retire him with all due ceremonies and honors.

The point is that it's great to be deep enough at the skill positions (except QB) where a single injury doesn't cripple the team. Even if Brown gets cut this year, having him last year as an insurance policy paid off. And if either scenario above occurs, he could stick around and be a valuable member of the team.

And it gets back to Whaley's ability to identify the correct players on offense, where he's had more misses than hits. While effectively trading a 5th round pick for an insurance RB may be sound, it's too high of a price for an inconsistent performer. For comparison, the much derided Bilal Powell was more productive than Brown in '12-'13. Heck, Eagles got a more productive Sproles for a 5th rounder.

Though brown was a rookie deal and sproles is 31 and getting paid 5-6 times as much. A consideration for the role of 3rd string and long term potential

I think Brown has both clear talent and clear potential. He has put up monster numbers in real NFL games.

Although I admit I have a bias, I cannot at all say with any certainty good or bad, the RB on the Bills last year, or the OL on the Bills last year, or the QBs on the Bills or the TEs on the Bills or the WR on the Bills are good or bad based on the absolute mess that Marrone and Hackett created. I imagine some of those guys are just not good. I have no idea which ones they are. All I know is that Watkins is great and that Woods and Glenn are good, and that's about it.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Maybe on the bubble? He has the play book. He very well might report in great shape. Most do. He sure doesn't have that much catching up to do. His talent will make the differance. He either has it or not. May the best man win. It's great to have these problems.

Maybe on the bubble? He has the play book. He very well might report in great shape. Most do. He sure doesn't have that much catching up to do. His talent will make the differance. He either has it or not. May the best man win. It's great to have these problems.

I agree. He is not required to be there right now. If he shows up and looks great in TC he will make the team. It won't matter if he was there for voluntary conditioning if he outperforms the other guys when it counts. Personally, I have my doubts that he has the heart/plays with the edge that I think puts RBs over the top in being successful in the NFL. That's because I haven't seen it yet. We will see.