Why do we have fervent Pats** supporters on TSW?

eball

Let me begin by stating I am not in favor of a unanimously rose-colored, pie-in-the-sky forum in which everyone says only how great the Bills are and how horrible everything else is. There's a ton of great football talk around here in which I enjoy participating that includes critical analysis of the team and the organization.

I "get" folks offering a perspective on the other side of the Pats** investigation. I understand some not wanting to simply label the team and its players "cheaters" because they believe any edge gained is/was negligible.

What I don't understand, however, is the fervent, frothing desire of some to incessantly debate and pick squabbles in defense of Brady* and the Pats**. Somebody please explain.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some posters thrive on a "I'm above it all" type of attitude on message boards,

They usually have little to add other than sneering at fellow posters.

It's best just to ignore them.

or block them, if it gets annoying enough!

Let me begin by stating I am not in favor of a unanimously rose-colored, pie-in-the-sky forum in which everyone says only how great the Bills are and how horrible everything else is. There's a ton of great football talk around here in which I enjoy participating that includes critical analysis of the team and the organization.

I "get" folks offering a perspective on the other side of the Pats** investigation. I understand some not wanting to simply label the team and its players "cheaters" because they believe any edge gained is/was negligible.

What I don't understand, however, is the fervent, frothing desire of some to incessantly debate and pick squabbles in defense of Brady* and the Pats**. Somebody please explain.

It's called adult discussion. As Derek points out, reasonable people can debate the finer points. It makes it more interesting.

Other posters simply call others "pats fans"....as though that is some sort of contribution to the discussion.

If it bothers you, don't participate.

I don't quite fit the profile, but I suppose I'm close enough to offer an answer. I've railed against Brady and the Pats* pretty hard for the last decade. Watching them lose SBs to the Giants was almost as good as watching the Bills win. The arrogance of those guys (particularly in 07) really turned my stomach. But despite all that, I think this "deflategate" thing has gotten blown way out of proportion.

I'd probably feel a lot more stronly about it if it weren't the Pats*. If we lost a 1st & 4th because FJ was wearing longer cleats than the rules allow I'd be livid. I think it's important to keep things in perspective lest we one day find the show is on the other foot.

I don't quite fit the profile, but I suppose I'm close enough to offer an answer. I've railed against Brady and the Pats* pretty hard for the last decade. Watching them lose SBs to the Giants was almost as good as watching the Bills win. The arrogance of those guys (particularly in 07) really turned my stomach. But despite all that, I think this "deflategate" thing has gotten blown way out of proportion.

I'd probably feel a lot more stronly about it if it weren't the Pats*. If we lost a 1st & 4th because FJ was wearing longer cleats than the rules allow I'd be livid. I think it's important to keep things in perspective lest we one day find the show is on the other foot.

"'nother goddam pats fan!"

This, and a need to try to sound like the "smartest guy in the room"

Therein lies the problem. Offering comparisons that don't at all compare shows you're not looking at DeflateGate for what it actually is. It isn't about the air pressure in the balls. It isn't even really about competitive advantage. It is about a team (maybe just one player and a couple staffers) that knowingly broke a rule, lied about it and even attempted to stop it from being uncovered. Tom Brady stood up in front of everyone and laughed at you, me, the press, Pats** fans, everyone. He thought he'd get away with it. It didn't even matter to him whether he needed to do it or not. He did it. He lied. He deserves and has received league discipline.

Do you mean the wannabe defense attorneys? it's not just with the Pats*. There are a couple who, no matter what the topic, will take the defense and fight it until the end. I can read a thread title and already know what to expect inside the thread without even opening it. I just move along!

Therein lies the problem. Offering comparisons that don't at all compare shows you're not looking at DeflateGate for what it actually is. It isn't about the air pressure in the balls. It isn't even really about competitive advantage. It is about a team (maybe just one player and a couple staffers) that knowingly broke a rule, lied about it and even attempted to stop it from being uncovered. Tom Brady stood up in front of everyone and laughed at you, me, the press, Pats** fans, everyone. He thought he'd get away with it. It didn't even matter to him whether he needed to do it or not. He did it. He lied. He deserves and has received league discipline.

That's exactly it and I couldn't have said it better. Patriots** fans can't see it that way. The punishment from the League and Troy Vincent is even worded that way.

and he got punished and i dont think rob is saying that the team deserves NOTHING, just that theres another side to the story.... that people are taking it pretty personally and layering all kinds of emotional stuff instead of just a cut and dry, cold analysis. what came down is about my high end of what id accept without putting up argument that things got way overboard - and i probably wouldve been quite alright with a memo pre-game and stricter policy starting that week as a low end of how to handle it.

It's really kind of pathetic at how much Patriots talk there is on this message board. Look at the list of topics on the first page of this forum. I know it's relatively big news, and there's kind of a lull in Bills land right now, but still. This is overboard.

Yes, they've been dominating the division for too long. And yes, they've done some shady things. But keep in mind that even if the Bills had been undefeated against them for the last 15 years, we'd have only made the playoffs once or twice in that time anyway.

I know people are fond of saying "the cover up is worse than the crime." That's never made much sense to me. The crime is the issue.

To me, the level of advantage gained is key too, however I don't think the verdict is clear. You have some analytical work out there showing the pats are statistical outliers in fumbling. Brady has been pretty good in bad weather.

The pat defenders claim is pretty simple, a flat ball didn't make them Super Bowl champs, and between PEDs, pushing boundaries of illegal contact yada, yada -they all cheat. Also there are posts of Ray Lewis (murderer) ray rice (wife beater) etc... Trying to minimize deflation (all thought the one I saw left out Hernandez, interestingly)

As I have said before we'll find out just how much inflation matters. The pats fumbling and Brady's qbr in lousy weather going forward will help us know just how much of an edge they were gaining.