Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

WAY premature. Every OSU QB that took over that offense last year lit it up. Not impressed by Cardale.

Kevin Hogan in the 2nd or 3rd if he comes out. O-line in 1st

Cardale Jones is as legit an NFL QB prospect as any... Arm strength for DAYS, and still manages to put the ball where only his guy can get it... Tough, and intimidating as a runner.. Wills the game to an outcome....Lots to like.. Hoping like heck they keep him away from Dave Lee, and George Whitfield!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This!

@theMMQB: Michigan St. QB Connor Cook's journey from non-recruit to top QB prospect for the '16 draft. http://t.co/qVNVXuIpmChttp://t.co/BYaZbkkhuW

@afc2nfc: NEW at @draftbreakdown - my latest CFB preview is a look at Connor Cook and the Michigan State Spartans: http://t.co/f5GoFePp5V #NFLDraft

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 4 weeks later...

Someone has to explain the world's fascination with Christian Hackenberg to me. I watch Penn State most weeks and he's never once made an "OMG I need that guy." type of throw. Most of the time he looks like a less productive version of Rob Johnson. Anyone who picks Hackenberg in the first ROUND let alone #1 overall is a fool who is still hoping his Prep grading magically pans out.

IMO Connor Cook is the guy in this coming draft. Cardale Jones is a wild card right now. IF he wins the OSU job and IF he stays productive this year he could leapfrog Cook based on freak of nature potential.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

Someone has to explain the world's fascination with Christian Hackenberg to me. I watch Penn State most weeks and he's never once made an "OMG I need that guy." type of throw. Most of the time he looks like a less productive version of Rob Johnson. Anyone who picks Hackenberg in the first ROUND let alone #1 overall is a fool who is still hoping his Prep grading magically pans out.

Then you havent been paying attention to the whole story. Go back to his true freshman year, and he made TONS of the "OMG I need that guy" type of passes. But he also had a strong offensive line, and elite WRs, many of which (OL and WR) are in the NFL right now.

But last year, when those WRs graduated and much of the OL was replaced by true freshman due to the sanctions, he was sacked FOURTY FOUR times, and knocked down probably another 100 times. As a result, he struggled BIG TIME. He is still raw, but he has the tools to be a top flight NFL QB. I think you will see him step up this year.

Here is his freshman year highlight reel: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=hackenberg+highlight+&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001. AS a true freshman he had poise, composure, made smart decisions, was a strong leader, and progressed through his reads in a NFL offense run by Bill O'Brien. Many college QBs look good because the players are open and they get them the ball. Hackenberg as a freshman was able to anticipate the play, and lead the receiver. Last year, under James Franklin, he regressed, but I attribute that as much to Franklin and the offensive scheme as I do to Hackenberg.

Assuming he declares, I GUARANTEE you that he will go in the first round. There is NO WAY Bill O"Brien and the Texans will be on the clock and not select him. ZERO. Someone is going to get a good QB. I hope its us. Actually I hope EJ plays so well we dont need Hackenberg...but it would be a good consolation prize if this season goes as I am afraid its going to.

Then you havent been paying attention to the whole story. Go back to his true freshman year, and he made TONS of the "OMG I need that guy" type of passes. But he also had a strong offensive line, and elite WRs, many of which (OL and WR) are in the NFL right now.

But last year, when those WRs graduated and much of the OL was replaced by true freshman due to the sanctions, he was sacked FOURTY FOUR times, and knocked down probably another 100 times. As a result, he struggled BIG TIME. He is still raw, but he has the tools to be a top flight NFL QB. I think you will see him step up this year.

Here is his freshman year highlight reel: https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=hackenberg+highlight+&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001. AS a true freshman he had poise, composure, made smart decisions, was a strong leader, and progressed through his reads in a NFL offense run by Bill O'Brien. Many college QBs look good because the players are open and they get them the ball. Hackenberg as a freshman was able to anticipate the play, and lead the receiver. Last year, under James Franklin, he regressed, but I attribute that as much to Franklin and the offensive scheme as I do to Hackenberg.

Assuming he declares, I GUARANTEE you that he will go in the first round. There is NO WAY Bill O"Brien and the Texans will be on the clock and not select him. ZERO. Someone is going to get a good QB. I hope its us. Actually I hope EJ plays so well we dont need Hackenberg...but it would be a good consolation prize if this season goes as I am afraid its going to.

I absolutely hate his footwork and he regressed a ton last year. https://youtu.be/z8vGqCWT2M4?t=284

He throws a TD there but the stiff legged flat footed throw, particularly out of the shotgun, was very reflective of his play last year and it's not good. He threw 8 regular season TDs last year (12 games) and only 4 in conference play. He was absolutely atrocious the entire month of November. I grant that he played well in the bowl game. Was he hurt and had a month to heal? Did he check out and turn it back on under a spotlight? I don't know.

I don't doubt that someone will take him in the first round. I hope to God it's not us. I don't think it's too much to ask to have a college QB produce in order to be taken highly. I know Penn State has been down but they won a couple games last year, that should be gimmies in any year, in SPITE of Hackenburg not because of him (Indiana and Temple). Plenty of college QBs turn out decent numbers and performances with subpar supporting casts.

I am very interested to watch Hackenberg. He has a lot to prove. He looked amazing at elite 11 but how will he do with a pass rush in his face. He has all the tools. His stats are dreadful from 2014 and in 2013 half the time he looked terrified. Connor Cook has shown me more as an NFL prospect this far. But both could be franchise QBs.

IMO Connor Cook is the guy in this coming draft. Cardale Jones is a wild card right now. IF he wins the OSU job and IF he stays productive this year he could leapfrog Cook based on freak of nature potential.

Agree, Hackenberg is extremely overrated in my opinion. Unfortunately for Cardale, I still got JT winning the job. Cardale really didn't do that much to win those games in the playoffs, that was the Ezekiel Elliot show. He really only dominated the Wisconsin game.

Me, I'm have been and still am on the Cody Kessler train. Reminds me of Brees. A bit smaller, with a bit less of an "rocket" arm, but accurate as anyone and makes very few mistakes (and plays against very fast tough D in the Pac10). He didn't have a single bad game all last season and PROGRESSED instead of regressed from the previous year. And, to top it all off, he will most likely be around it the 2nd round.

Don't be surprised though, if when all is said an done Jared Goff is the fist QB taken.

Edited by Mark80

Agree, Hackenberg is extremely overrated in my opinion. Unfortunately for Cardale, I still got JT winning the job. Cardale really didn't do that much to win those games in the playoffs, that was the Ezekiel Elliot show. He really only dominated the Wisconsin game.

i love JT. But it's possible that Zeke was running wild because the defense was so scared of Cardale's arm. Up until JT got hurt, I thought Elliot was JAG. Edited by YoloinOhio

i love JT. But it's possible that Zeke was running wild because the defense was so scared of Cardale's arm. Up until JT got hurt, I thought Elliot was JAG.

I don't know man, he ran all over Michigan State, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon State. The best 4 defenses he faced. The first 3 especially are always stop the run first type teams regardless of who the QB is. In the beginning of the year he just wasn't getting the touches, once he started getting the ball he was pretty damn effective.

Edited by Mark80

I don't know man, he ran all over Michigan State, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon State. The best 4 defenses he faced. The first 3 especially are always stop the run first type teams regardless of who the QB is. In the beginning of the year he just wasn't getting the touches, once he started getting the ball he was pretty damn effective.

i just remember saying "I miss Carlos Hyde" for most of the year. Then all of a sudden he was unstoppable. Could have been the OL coming together too. And the WRs blocking so well. I do think Elliott is a stud though and he was playing with only one healthy wrist all year. He has great vision. In urban I trust with the QB situation.

• 3 weeks later...

No Hackenberg?

Not a fan, I try to trust my gut with these things.

EDIT: Also, that list is just my personal one, and it's filtered to exclude players who already seem to be hyped to a higher pick than their value in my opinion. I like Hackenberg for the 2-3 round range, but he's being set up to be picked in the top 15 picks or so

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

With the season approaching, these are the guys I'm keeping my eye on for round 1-4 options

Connor Cook, Michigan State

Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Jared Goff, Cal

Patrick Towles, Kentucky

Kevin Hogan, Stanford

Jacoby Brissett, NC State

Trevone Boykin, TCU

Towles is a guy I caught onto recently...he looked pretty darn good against Florida, despite Dante Fowler blowing up his OL repeatedly.

You might think about throwing Gunner Kiel (Cincinnati) on your list as well...he's bounced around schools a bit, but has plenty of ability.

Towles is a guy I caught onto recently...he looked pretty darn good against Florida, despite Dante Fowler blowing up his OL repeatedly.

You might think about throwing Gunner Kiel (Cincinnati) on your list as well...he's bounced around schools a bit, but has plenty of ability.

I'll definitely have a look! I don't get to see much out of Cincinnati

I thought Gunner Kiel was going to be amazing when he was recruited. He has a ton of talent.

Not a fan, I try to trust my gut with these things.

EDIT: Also, that list is just my personal one, and it's filtered to exclude players who already seem to be hyped to a higher pick than their value in my opinion. I like Hackenberg for the 2-3 round range, but he's being set up to be picked in the top 15 picks or so

I'm not really a Hackenberg fan either but I liked the way that he looked in his bowl game last year.

I see you guys are once again leaving out Cody Kessler. It's all good though, I'm going to have lots of threads to go back to and say "I told you so" in the coming years. Big arms are overrated, accuracy and decision making are key. I put him as my "best value" pick as I think he'll be a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year and have him 3rd behind Cook and Goff as my best prospects. Most overrated? I go with Jones and Hackenberg. Everyone knows about Hackenberg, but I think Jones is overrated too. The guy had one great game out of 3. He did not play well against Alabama and against Oregon he was just OK. Considering all 3 of those teams were trying to stop the unstoppable Elliot who racked up over 200 yards in each of those games, his numbers should have been more impressive IMO. The guy plays 3 games, only 1 of the a great game, and all of the sudden he's a first round pick? I don't buy it, not yet at least.

Edited by Mark80

I see you guys are once again leaving out Cody Kessler. It's all good though, I'm going to have lots of threads to go back to and say "I told you so" in the coming years. Big arms are overrated, accuracy and decision making are key. I put him as my "best value" pick as I think he'll be a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year and have him 3rd behind Cook and Goff as my best prospects. Most overrated? I go with Jones and Hackenberg. Everyone knows about Hackenberg, but I think Jones is overrated too. The guy had one great game out of 3. He did not play well against Alabama and against Oregon he was just OK. Considering all 3 of those teams were trying to stop the unstoppable Elliot who racked up over 200 yards in each of those games, his numbers should have been more impressive IMO. The guy plays 3 games, only 1 of the a great game, and all of the sudden he's a first round pick? I don't buy it, not yet at least.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you watched very little of OSU last year. Why do you think Zeke's 3 best games were the ones Cardale started, against the 3 toughest teams the Buckeyes played? Everyone admits Cardale is raw and needs more playing time, but to deny his arm talent or size, or to just shrug him off as a product of Elliott playing well is just ignorant.

With the season approaching, these are the guys I'm keeping my eye on for round 1-4 options

Connor Cook, Michigan State

Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Jared Goff, Cal

Patrick Towles, Kentucky

Kevin Hogan, Stanford

Jacoby Brissett, NC State

Trevone Boykin, TCU

No Brewer? 😎

I'm going to go ahead and assume you watched very little of OSU last year. Why do you think Zeke's 3 best games were the ones Cardale started, against the 3 toughest teams the Buckeyes played? Everyone admits Cardale is raw and needs more playing time, but to deny his arm talent or size, or to just shrug him off as a product of Elliott playing well is just ignorant.

You know what they say about assumptions. I watch almost every OSU game every year. They are my second favorite team. But if you're telling me it wasn't Wisconsins game plan to stop Elliot when a third string QB was coming in to start his first game is crazy. Alabama is ALWAYS a stop the run first team and Oregon surely had that game plan as well after seeing what Elliot did to Wisconsin and Alabama. That is the point of what I was saying. There are a lot of big arm, big sized guys and I never said he wasn't one of them. I said he needs to show me more than one game of brilliance to convince me he's as good as people are trying to hype him.

Edited by Mark80

FWIW I'm just off the USC QB train until one truly stands out or they prove me otherwise.

FWIW I'm just off the USC QB train until one truly stands out or they prove me otherwise.

I get that. It's not a bad philosophy in general, at least recently. I do think Kessler has the chance to be the exception to the USC rule, but we'll see how it plays out this year. He could crater.

in recent years i'd already be thinking about next years draft....

but not today....

just stopped in to say hi.

Hi! It's easy for me because I watch a lot of NCAA anyway and I always have the Bills' interests in mind.

I get that. It's not a bad philosophy in general, at least recently. I do think Kessler has the chance to be the exception to the USC rule, but we'll see how it plays out this year. He could crater.

I know there's no legitimate logic to it, I've just been burned by guys with decent stats & physical traits too many times at that school haha

You know what they say about assumptions. I watch almost every OSU game every year. They are my second favorite team. But if you're telling me it wasn't Wisconsins game plan to stop Elliot when a third string QB was coming in to start his first game is crazy. Alabama is ALWAYS a stop the run first team and Oregon surely had that game plan as well after seeing what Elliot did to Wisconsin and Alabama. That is the point of what I was saying. There are a lot of big arm, big sized guys and I never said he wasn't one of them. I said he needs to show me more than one game of brilliance to convince me he's as good as people are trying to hype him.

No one is saying Cardale is the next Andrew Luck, but his body and arm talent are clearly NFL level. Pretty sure everyone has said they need to see more to make him a sure 1st rounder. You come flying in saying everyone is sleeping on Cody Kessler when he's been mentioned by several people previously and everyone is overrating Cardale calling him a sure 1st rounder when most everyone has said they need to see more.

No one is saying Cardale is the next Andrew Luck, but his body and arm talent are clearly NFL level. Pretty sure everyone has said they need to see more to make him a sure 1st rounder. You come flying in saying everyone is sleeping on Cody Kessler when he's been mentioned by several people previously and everyone is overrating Cardale calling him a sure 1st rounder when most everyone has said they need to see more.

Actually, I hardly ever see him mentioned at all, let alone someone saying they think he's going to be very good. Usually when he's brought up there are two responses: First, I hate USC QBs. Second, He doesn't have the arm strength. I have not seen a single person, besides myself, say they think he is going to be a very good NFL QB. Maybe Yolo did at some point. Feel free to show me otherwise, I certainly could have missed them. I've been on his train since January 3rd on this site officially. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174942-tank-part-2/ You're not going to find anyone saying anything good about him before that, believe, me, I just looked. Although I don't think he is going to be the first QB taken anymore, I still do think he is the best value and the best one we will have a shot at drafting.

I've seen some people say that Jones is going the be the first overall pick in various places. It's not just in this board, it's from pundits, friends, articles, etc. I disagree at this point and clearly said it my first post "not yet at least." And if you go back to the start of this thread, it all started with a mock draft having him go to the Bills at 19 with many people saying he wouldn't last that long.

Edited by Mark80