Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

They might see Golson as an opportunity to redshirt a quality freshman without conceding an entire season to mediocre play at the position

i will need to take a look at their last two classes. I know winston redshirted. Maybe Jimbo prefers that method. Looks like a really good situation for Golson, regardless.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Hackenberg not going #1 Sacks, Sacks, Sacks

Cook is another smart but just not talented enough MSU QB... but the best they've had in awhile.

Jones will not last until our pick unless we are picking in top 8.

Golson may play great @ FSU but he just can't stop fumbling the ball. Turnovers critical in NFL

Kessler may turn out to be the best in the class, although I would take Jones b4 him

Just my opinions but I do watch a lot more CFB than the pros Which doesn't increase my ability to decipher talent, but I have watched these guys over and again and record up to 21 games a week to watch during the week. (Permanent disabled)

Go Bills.... still excited about this team... let's stay healthy and make it to the dance and do some damage when we get there !!

Calling it right now. Cardale Jones is going to be a flash in the pan. He's going to get drafted in the 1st round by some team that will look at him as the next face of the franchise and he's going to be a colossal disappointment.

• Hackenberg not going #1 Sacks, Sacks, Sacks
  • Cook is another smart but just not talented enough MSU QB... but the best they've had in awhile.
  • Jones will not last until our pick unless we are picking in top 8.
  • Golson may play great @ FSU but he just can't stop fumbling the ball. Turnovers critical in NFL
  • Kessler may turn out to be the best in the class, although I would take Jones b4 him
  • Just my opinions but I do watch a lot more CFB than the pros Which doesn't increase my ability to decipher talent, but I have watched these guys over and again and record up to 21 games a week to watch during the week. (Permanent disabled)
  • Go Bills.... still excited about this team... let's stay healthy and make it to the dance and do some damage when we get there !!
i agree - Golson is a turnover machine, that's why I question him

Agreed, Golson has made great plays in games but he matches them with really dumb ones. Think it was Notre Dame vs Arizona State where he turned the ball over just about every time he got the opportunity.

Think the only USC game I caught last year was against UCLA and I gotta say I thought Kessler seemed like nothing special. Be sure to watch more of him this year though.

Connor Cook and Jones are the two I'm really excited to watch. Cook is a better version of Cousins in every way possible. Watching his confidence grow against Ohio State/Stanford two years ago was amazing.

Thanks for your thoughts MOVALLEYRANDY! Hope to see some more posts when NCAA football starts back up.

Cardale in this offense... Omg.... He's not the fastest guy but he is enormous and hard to bring down as a runner. Throwing 80 yard bombs to Sammy...when Devin Smith was drafted by the Jets the joke was he's the only WR in the draft who will have a worse QB in the pros than he had in college.

Car dale Jones may not even be a starter at Ohio State. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

Car dale Jones may not even be a starter at Ohio State. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

He probably will be. You have some OSU homers here (myself included) but he has an NFL skill set and build. It doesn't mean that he will be a great NFL QB but he will go pretty early based on that. I think that he is Culpepper.

He probably will be. You have some OSU homers here (myself included) but he has an NFL skill set and build. It doesn't mean that he will be a great NFL QB but he will go pretty early based on that. I think that he is Culpepper.

Culpepper was slow. Jones is not.

The Bills need to beef up their scouting dept like they did for the Sabres. Trading up in the 1st rd is becoming more difficult with so many teams needing a franchise QB. Finding a good one after the 20th pick should be the focus.

The Bills need to beef up their scouting dept like they did for the Sabres. Trading up in the 1st rd is becoming more difficult with so many teams needing a franchise QB. Finding a good one after the 20th pick should be the focus.

there are several good Qb prospects in this class, and around 5 teams I think could take one in the 1st next year. I'm thinking possibilities are jets, houston, denver, Redskins, Browns. I think the Bills will be able to draft one they like, if they need to give up a 2017 pick to move up to get the one they want, so be it (imo).

there are several good Qb prospects in this class, and around 5 teams I think could take one in the 1st next year. I'm thinking possibilities are jets, houston, denver, Redskins, Browns. I think the Bills will be able to draft one they like, if they need to give up a 2017 pick to move up to get the one they want, so be it (imo).

Giving up on Bryce Petty already Yolo?

I didn't think they were actually planning on a 4th rounder to be their next franchise qB but what do I know.

I think he got picked around the right place, and I don't think you're entirely out of line depending on how he progresses in the shadows this year, but I figured I'd ask. I figure if our division has been owned by a 6th round QB for the last 15 or so years you just never know

I think he got picked around the right place, and I don't think you're entirely out of line depending on how he progresses in the shadows this year, but I figured I'd ask. I figure if our division has been owned by a 6th round QB for the last 15 or so years you just never know

i think Petty is terrible so I'm the wrong one to try to visualize that. Lol. I think they drafted him as a project but the odds are against him being a good starter. The best odds are on a 1st rd pick so if there is one sitting there when the jets pick, considering there could be a number of QBs with 1st Rd grades in next years draft, they would be insane not to pull the trigger unless Geno has some miraculous turnaround this season. Edited by YoloinOhio

We need this to be a bang-up QB class in 2016. The mass is there; just a question of how many of the fringe guys will show franchise potential. It's a pretty solid list:

Cook

C. Jones

Kessler

Goff

Brissett

Boykin

Hogan

Prescott

Hackenberg

If half of those guys could elevate themselves to 1st round status, and 2 of the others show 2nd-round quality, that'll bode well for Buffalo nabbing a good prospect.

We need this to be a bang-up QB class in 2016. The mass is there; just a question of how many of the fringe guys will show franchise potential. It's a pretty solid list:

Cook

C. Jones

Kessler

Goff

Brissett

Boykin

Hogan

Prescott

Hackenberg

If half of those guys could elevate themselves to 1st round status, and 2 of the others show 2nd-round quality, that'll bode well for Buffalo nabbing a good prospect.

This will be a really fun college football season for fans of NFL teams who need to draft a QB. I think there are some nice pro-style guys in the mix along with some exciting spread QBs. Many need to take a step this year in one way or another, but tons of potential out there.

This will be a really fun college football season for fans of NFL teams who need to draft a QB. I think there are some nice pro-style guys in the mix along with some exciting spread QBs. Many need to take a step this year in one way or another, but tons of potential out there.

Nailed it.

What makes it even more interesting, IMO, is the number of NFL teams that could/would be looking for a QB early in the draft next April. I count:

Buffalo

NJ Jets

Cleveland

Houston

Denver

SD

Arizona

St. Louis

Chicago

Philadelphia

NJ Giants

Washington

That's almost half the league that could be in play.

Very interesting indeed.

Nailed it.

What makes it even more interesting, IMO, is the number of NFL teams that could/would be looking for a QB early in the draft next April. I count:

Buffalo

NJ Jets

Cleveland

Houston

Denver

SD

Arizona

St. Louis

Chicago

Philadelphia

NJ Giants

Washington

That's almost half the league that could be in play.

Very interesting indeed.

I wouldn't rule out San Fran, and call me crazy but I think Detroit may be looking soon as well

I wouldn't rule out San Fran, and call me crazy but I think Detroit may be looking soon as well

Yeah, I almost added SF and Cinci based on the contracts of Kaep and Dalton, and I thought about throwing Pittsburgh on there as well, but I think Ben's contract kind of cements the idea that he'll be there at least another 3 years.

Culpepper ran a 4.52. Cardale is a 4.7ish guy. They are very similar physical runners but Culpepper is certainly faster.

I don't recall Culpepper ever being much of a runner, but perhaps I was thinking of Byron Leftwich, who was truly a statue.

I don't recall Culpepper ever being much of a runner, but perhaps I was thinking of Byron Leftwich, who was truly a statue.

BL was definitely a statue. Culpepper was a great runner back in the day and had a cannon. Cardale is a spitting image of him to me.

1. Hackenberg not going #1 Sacks, Sacks, Sacks
  2. Cook is another smart but just not talented enough MSU QB... but the best they've had in awhile.
  3. Jones will not last until our pick unless we are picking in top 8.
  4. Golson may play great @ FSU but he just can't stop fumbling the ball. Turnovers critical in NFL
  5. Kessler may turn out to be the best in the class, although I would take Jones b4 him
  6. Just my opinions but I do watch a lot more CFB than the pros Which doesn't increase my ability to decipher talent, but I have watched these guys over and again and record up to 21 games a week to watch during the week. (Permanent disabled)
  7. Go Bills.... still excited about this team... let's stay healthy and make it to the dance and do some damage when we get there !

based on?

He has the size, arm strength and mentality to play QB.

WAY premature. Every OSU QB that took over that offense last year lit it up. Not impressed by Cardale.

Kevin Hogan in the 2nd or 3rd if he comes out. O-line in 1st

It's fine to say it's too early to tell with Cardale, but saying you were "not impressed" with him is assinine. In his first and only three collegiate starts, he won three HUGE games (in two of which OSU was the decided underdog) on three of the biggest stages imaginable, and played exceedingly well in all three. To say you're "not impressed" by him, without saying why, just makes you look like an ill-informed hater.

And Hogan looked like garbage this year, although he has played well in the past. He does not appear to have an NFL arm.

Edited by mannc

My issue out of this: why do they have the BILLS picking 19th? So, ANOTHER 9-7 year is what these "experts" are predicting?? With all the additions to the team, notably the Coaching Staff and Offensive players?? Umm, ok....I don't know if the BILLS win the Super Bowl, but I do think they make the playoffs this year. I realize I'm biased, but 19th?? I would be disappointed (again) if that happens....

My issue out of this: why do they have the BILLS picking 19th? So, ANOTHER 9-7 year is what these "experts" are predicting?? With all the additions to the team, notably the Coaching Staff and Offensive players?? Umm, ok....I don't know if the BILLS win the Super Bowl, but I do think they make the playoffs this year. I realize I'm biased, but 19th?? I would be disappointed (again) if that happens....

That's not far off. That is probably pretty close to the Vegas projections as well. I'm not insulted by that. If they would have been picking 6th I would have been insulted.

i haven't looked at this one specifically, but all but one of the 2016 mocks I have looked at just used the same order as 2015. I don't think it's because they assume it will be the same but rather they have no idea so that's the easy way to throw up a meaningless, way too early mock. Edited by YoloinOhio

WAY premature. Every OSU QB that took over that offense last year lit it up. Not impressed by Cardale.

Kevin Hogan in the 2nd or 3rd if he comes out. O-line in 1st

i love JT barrett but we have no idea what he'd have done in the CFB playoff. not every Osu qb lit it up against the #1 and #2 defenses in the country and then won the national title. He rolled the immortal Saban defense in his second ever start. Did you see his ridiculous arm? Or how he repeatedly ran over Landon Collins? He may not be ready for the NFL today but he will certainly be sought after next year. As I've said before, he's raw. He would benefit from sitting a year in the pros. But 6'5 250 guys who can throw accurately to the endzone from their knees at midfield don't come around a lot. His upside is tremendous.