RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

just played golf with a buddy who is an FSU alum and knows that program inside & out - said Darby is a heckuva player; great coverage skills, a hitter/very physical, and a CB in a safety's body. He said Darby is a great fit for Rex's defense and can see why the Bills selected him.

Indeed! :beer:

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just something to keep in mind here

One of the big things that came out of this offseason is one of the failings of Rex Ryan's D (even though it was still statically very good) was that its corners were sub par......

When I heard that this offseason I realized that DB was a real possiblity

Other thoughts

I think Duke Johnson can play....but the fact is we did lose Searcy and this allows Graham to go to Safety where we WERE then......

To me Darby is like Thomas Smith.....a blanket cover corner who wont pick the ball

And if we get a player as good as Thomas Smith in round 2, I think we should be happy.

This pick reminds me of when the Jets drafted Kyle Wilson in the 2010 draft. Didnt see it as a huge need for them, they already had Revis and Cromartie. I trust the Bills brass, but this pick seems more of a Rex pick to me.

It has been mentioned in other threads, but with this pick I hope the best case scenario is Corey Graham moving to free safety, with Aaron Williams moving to SS. Cornerbacks would then be Gilmore, McKelvin, and Darby. That could be a very talented secondary in my opinion.

It has been mentioned in other threads, but with this pick I hope the best case scenario is Corey Graham moving to free safety, with Aaron Williams moving to SS. Cornerbacks would then be Gilmore, McKelvin, and Darby. That could be a very talented secondary in my opinion.

That's my hope too.

Rex seems to prioritize flexibility, and one of the more common responses to the 2 TE sets has been the Big Nickel. If we want to put our best people on the field, Graham's flexibility to play S and CB could make for a really potent secondary.

I already see Bills fans looking to critique this selection as if Darby is a 1st round pick. Every time you find yourself doing that, stop -- he was pick #50. Not supposed to come in and light the world on fire, but expected to make the team and play a significant role his rookie season.

The less the Bills have to depend on Leodis the better.

McKelvin is a starting CB in the NFL. He has been hurt/lost to season ending injuries the last two years. He has two years left on his contract. Darby will be ready when the contract expires. If, however, the Bills move up Darby's start timing to next year....then McKelvin will start at CB for another NFL team tbd. Cutting McKelvin loose would seem like the Chandler deal all over again. Bottom line, McKelvin has played well recent years when he has played. I see Darby as injury insurance this year. We know that Roby has speed but not size, and the other CB's are a step slow for coverage assignment 1/1. (even Graham, unfortunately, he gets by on veteran knowledge and guile) Graham is the second coming of Drayton Florence......high skill guy, just getting on in years and slowing down. Have not seen McKelvin slowed down....just down with broken ankle/ripped groin.