Even Tuel will get 1st string reps per Roman

While I don't envision him being any better or worse than EJ, Tyrod Taylor or Matt Cassel, when I think of Jeff Tuel I think only of that heinous INT against undefeated KC a few years back that pretty much buried our playoff chances that year.

I guess you blocked the awful pick 6 against the Browns, two in one year, that has to be a record.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should give Teul an entire 16 games as starter so we know for sure he has what it takes. Lol

Imo

absolutely, since he was a 1st round draft pick too and has also won 6 of the 13 games he started and finished in the NFL. Oh wait... No he was a UDFA who has won nothing in the NFL and barely won games in college. So many similarities though you are right LMO! Edited by YoloinOhio

I am grateful that this is not the same front office that drafted CJ Spiller with a first round pick when they had Fred still in his prime and Marshawn on the roster because some cry babies don't like thugs. The constant call for us to waste another draftpick on a QB, when there isn't one worth a damn out there.

The pick six against KC aside, I thought Tuel for the most part performed well against an undefeated team with the number 1 defense in the league at the time. I have no problem giving Tuel a shot.

The pick six against KC aside, I thought Tuel for the most part performed well against an undefeated team with the number 1 defense in the league at the time. I have no problem giving Tuel a shot.

This is the part I cannot understand at all.

No disrespect: what did Tuel do that impressed you in that game?

In all seriousness, I liked his presence in the pocket. Quick release. Took some good shots down field, including that TD to Goodwin.

Overall, I thought he did pretty well for his first start; not many UDFA's would do better under those circumstances.

That's what I'm saying. In the K. C game the Bills had more yards running than passing 241 - 229, and averaged more per attempt 6.3 - 5.87. The passing game had all 3 turnovers: 2 ints, 1 fumble(TJ Graham), if not for the rushing game and defense this game would have been a blow out.

In all seriousness, I liked his presence in the pocket. Quick release. Took some good shots down field, including that TD to Goodwin.

Overall, I thought he did pretty well for his first start; not many UDFA's would do better under those circumstances.

I know we've hashed it out before but I feel like quick release, presence and took shots are pretty wishy washy compliments.... I could stand tall and throw the ball downfield quickly but without accuracy, decision making, arm strength etc....

That's what I'm saying. In the K. C game the Bills had more yards running than passing 241 - 229, and averaged more per attempt 6.3 - 5.87. The passing game had all 3 turnovers: 2 ints, 1 fumble(TJ Graham), if not for the rushing game and defense this game would have been a blow out.

and he wasn't touched. I believe the OL allowed 0 sacks that day.

While I don't envision him being any better or worse than EJ, Tyrod Taylor or Matt Cassel, when I think of Jeff Tuel I think only of that heinous INT against undefeated KC a few years back that pretty much buried our playoff chances that year.

Kid was thrown into the line-up with hardly any reps during the spring . No 1st team reps until a week or two before the game. What ? Against the #1 team defense in the nfl that week. C`mon. I think if he had the reps EJ was given,he would be just as good or better. And E.J. was a 1st rd pick.

The problem with Jeff Tuel is that he suffers from "Ryan Neufeld Syndrome of the QB position." It is such a terrible, crippling disease that it affects not only your playing ability but the eyesight and judgment of certain fans that have no antibodies of the dreaded Ryan Neufeld Syndrome in their bodies.

When you have Ryan Neufeld Syndrome, whose main symptoms are you are white and you excel at nothing but are adequate at most if not all phases of your position, you suck. That is why it is so debilitating and dangerous. If you have Ryan Neufeld Syndrome at the quarterback position, not only do you suck, but it could set the franchise back, as much as ten years.

Jeff Tuel has the classic case of QBRNS. He is not short, he is not terribly slow, he is not terribly inaccurate, he does not have a terribly weak arm, he's not entirely stupid, he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in his dropback, set up or motion.

But when you have all of those qualities, you suck at QB and yet some people think you could be good. You cannot. Because you do not do one thing well. When you do not do one thing well in the NFL, you suck and do not belong in the NFL.

The problem with Jeff Tuel is that he suffers from "Ryan Neufeld Syndrome of the QB position." It is such a terrible, crippling disease that it affects not only your playing ability but the eyesight and judgment of certain fans that have no antibodies of the dreaded Ryan Neufeld Syndrome in their bodies.

When you have Ryan Neufeld Syndrome, whose main symptoms are you are white and you excel at nothing but are adequate at most if not all phases of your position, you suck. That is why it is so debilitating and dangerous. If you have Ryan Neufeld Syndrome at the quarterback position, not only do you suck, but it could set the franchise back, as much as ten years.

Jeff Tuel has the classic case of QBRNS. He is not short, he is not terribly slow, he is not terribly inaccurate, he does not have a terribly weak arm, he's not entirely stupid, he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in his dropback, set up or motion.

But when you have all of those qualities, you suck at QB and yet some people think you could be good. You cannot. Because you do not do one thing well. When you do not do one thing well in the NFL, you suck and do not belong in the NFL.

Yatta yatta yatta, Not buying it

The thing that gets me is EVERY Bills fan would have been on the Tuel Time band wagon if he would have played better in his FIRST NFL start because when he hit Goodwin he was the Bills next Brady but then when he threw the pick 6 he was relegated to the Bills dumpster of past QB's .

BUT that being said so many say that EJ can't be judged after only 14 games :blink: typical Bills fan type answer !! (can you say total contradiction ??)

I for one am glad Tuel has shown enough to hang around & would love it if one day before the end of his career he makes all the haters eat crow , weather it be in B/Lo or else where !!

Then in true Bills fan form (if it were to be in B/Lo) like when Flutie was here they would love him as long as the winning happens then when he leaves they would crucify him !!

I know we've hashed it out before but I feel like quick release, presence and took shots are pretty wishy washy compliments.... I could stand tall and throw the ball downfield quickly but without accuracy, decision making, arm strength etc....

It's relative too. We were coming off Thad, who would get sacked 5 times, and fumble 3 times. Or, EJ, who only checked down. So maybe I put too much stock in Tuel's presence and deep throws.

Regardless, I think it's probably too early to write the guy off.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

The thing that gets me is EVERY Bills fan would have been on the Tuel Time band wagon if he would have played better in his FIRST NFL start because when he hit Goodwin he was the Bills next Brady but then when he threw the pick 6 he was relegated to the Bills dumpster of past QB's .

BUT that being said so many say that EJ can't be judged after only 14 games :blink: typical Bills fan type answer !! (can you say total contradiction ??)

I for one am glad Tuel has shown enough to hang around & would love it if one day before the end of his career he makes all the haters eat crow , weather it be in B/Lo or else where !!

Then in true Bills fan form (if it were to be in B/Lo) like when Flutie was here they would love him as long as the winning happens then when he leaves they would crucify him !!

Not even close.

There's a lot to be said for a guy like EJ being able to execute more than 15 plays into a game versus a guy like Tuel that can execute scripted plays and falls on his face afterward.

Enormous difference IMO

Not even close.

There's a lot to be said for a guy like EJ being able to execute more than 15 plays into a game versus a guy like Tuel that can execute scripted plays and falls on his face afterward.

Enormous difference IMO

Compare EJ's Tampa game to Jeff's KC game.

Jeff Tuel will be released after the draft. Whoever we draft will be the 4th QB getting reps.

Where do you see a QB past Winston and Mariota who is or will be anything more than what Tuel is without the benefit of going into his third year of professional coaching? So why, why would you waste a draft pick for a number four QB?

Compare EJ's Tampa game to Jeff's KC game.

No problem...

Except that EJ managed to look just fine as a rookie first time starter against Bill Belichick and NE*, and there's the little matter of TB (and Pittsburgh) having 5 or 6 games of NFL tape on the kid, and those were road games...so the situations aren't comparable at all.

I honestly have no idea why you're so committed to supporting Tuel here, to the extent that you're willfully ignoring the point of my previous post. He's had nothing resembling success at any level of the game.

Edited by thebandit27

No problem...

Except that EJ managed to look just fine as a rookie first time starter against Bill Belichick and NE*, and there's the little matter of TB (and Pittsburgh) having 5 or 6 games of NFL tape on the kid, and those were road games...so the situations aren't comparable at all.

I honestly have no idea why you're so committed to supporting Tuel here, to the extent that you're willfully ignoring the point of my previous post. He's had nothing resembling success at any level of the game.

I'm committed to thinking its asinine to write off a rookie UDFA QB based on a game he got thrown into 2 years ago.

I'm committed to thinking its asinine to write off a rookie UDFA QB based on a game he got thrown into 2 years ago.

How about due to the fact he was also terrible in college, benched his senior season by a renown QB guru because of the same issues, and no one picked him up when he was released last year?

How about due to the fact he was also terrible in college, benched his senior season by a renown QB guru because of the same issues, and no one picked him up when he was released last year?

Basically

Then how about we go in the other direction: what's he shown that has you in the "he could be the guy" camp, or is this simply an exercise wrought from pure boredom?

How about due to the fact he's still on an NFL roster? You think its all a coincidence? Or a conspiracy, to get Jeff collecting $400k paychecks?

Remember when we all laughed at Chandler not getting sniffs in FA, and later he got snapped up by the best NFL coach in history? I do.

I still can't say I fully understand where/how you draw that line for yourself.

Elaborate.

Basically

Then how about we go in the other direction: what's he shown that has you in the "he could be the guy" camp, or is this simply an exercise wrought from pure boredom?

I thought he looked pretty good in the first half of the KC game. I mean, yeah, he blew it at the end. And I know that rushing for 100 yards in the first half helps QB's look good. But that doesn't invalidate everything.

Where do you see a QB past Winston and Mariota who is or will be anything more than what Tuel is without the benefit of going into his third year of professional coaching? So why, why would you waste a draft pick for a number four QB?

Every single QB in the draft has more value than Tuel. Tuel was released last year and he cleared waivers i.e. nobody wanted him. We're not "wasting" a draft pick on a "number four QB," we're using a pick on a guy that can be developed into a starter. And based on the garbage we have on this team at QB, it's probably not as big of a longshot as people think.

And Roman didn't specifically say Tuel will get 1st string reps. He said every QB on the roster will.

#Bills OC Greg Roman: Every QB will get a chance with the first team

Just to be clear I'm not advocating for Tuel (at all). I am just saying that there is no reason to not take a look at him especially if they are going with the duel practice field approach.

I'm starting to get the feeling (maybe it's just me) that they want Tyrod to be the guy. He is the guy that they brought here and a guy that Rex tried to trade for previously. He has electrifying speed and they may see him as a read option type of guy like RW.

They wanted McCown badly and settled for Cassel. He has the highest floor so will certainly be given a chance (if not the early clubhouse lead). EJ will be a prominent figure in the competition as well. I think that Cassel is still the favorite to start at this point (maybe 65%), followed be EJ (30%) and Tyrod (5%). If Tyrod looks on par with those guys though you will certainly see his % rise.

I would guess, EJ 40%, Cassel 30%, Taylor 30%, Tuel 0%.

He will be lucky to make the PS. His value to the previous regime was that he knew the Marrackett playbook and provided cheap "depth"(out of desperation for a healthy arm). That playbook is gone, as is the need for depth. #tueltime is over. LMO.

Will he make it to training camp is my question.

The fact that he was bad in college is the most interesting/troublesome red flag, IMO. I can't recall a single bad college QB who turned into a great pro QB. But his situation was odd too and he had lot of injuries.

His first start against KC didn't bother me. I actually found this article, which is unsurprising and shows lots of great QB's who have terrible first starts:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000445192/article/troy-aikman-peyton-manning-among-qbs-with-bad-first-starts

I thought he looked pretty good in the first half of the KC game. I mean, yeah, he blew it at the end. And I know that rushing for 100 yards in the first half helps QB's look good. But that doesn't invalidate everything.

Everything? Elaborate "everything".

It's bad enough that you dug yourself a Tuel grave, now please tell us his strengths before you have to bury yourself in it come August.

Can you explain this to me please. There's not a shred of truth to that. In the K.C. game ( we won't even use the Browns game) Mr. Tuel completed just 3 passes out of 39 that went more than 10 yards in the air. The three went 16 yards downfield, the second went 44 yards and the third went 10 yards. his QBR was 16.8, his rating was 52.2. His career completion percentage is 44.1%. The link below gives you the play by play along with LOS and where the pass was caught.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331103002&period=1

Imo

Not saying he is a finished product.

I am saying he has the right attitude. There's a reason he has lasted so long on the roster. They see "something" in him.

And I'm saying I think its his "moxy." You cant teach attitude. I think he gets it. He's not a Frankenstein out there. He's kinda like a taller Doug Flutie. Trying to make something happen.

Edited by maddenboy

How about due to the fact he's still on an NFL roster? You think its all a coincidence? Or a conspiracy, to get Jeff collecting $400k paychecks

Lots of folks on this roster today are not going to make 400k. As a practice squad player it may have been as little as 100k.

Kid was thrown into the line-up with hardly any reps during the spring . No 1st team reps until a week or two before the game. What ? Against the #1 team defense in the nfl that week. C`mon. I think if he had the reps EJ was given,he would be just as good or better. And E.J. was a 1st rd pick.

And that's the thing, people's judgment of that game is clouded by pre-game expectations that Tuel would be horrible going against an undefeated team. But when he played merely adequately, that raised the expectations. But if you look at it objectively, he was barely adequate and that's why he's third string. Same phenomenon happened when Trentative had his "breakout" game in prime time. How did that work out?