First Bills Game?

When/where was your first Bills game (home or away)?

While I started loving the Bills and watched all the games on TV at a much younger age, my first game was 12/10/89 at Rich Stadium against the Saints. I was 10 years old. I remember not being able to sleep at all the night before, as I was so excited and anxious. I went with my Father and my Uncle who shared a block of 4 season tickets. My most vivid memory of the game was when we first walked out to our seats. It was amazing to look down at the field and see the REAL Buffalo Bills warming up on the field. It was surreal. My Father still describes the look on my face at that moment as one of the happiest moments of his life.

It was cold and snowing hard that day, and the crowd was relatively sparse, but we were prepared with the proper clothing, hand warmers, and plenty of hot chocolate (beers for the grown ups to stay "warm"). I remember Marlboro was running a promotion that day, and as we walked in I was handed a plastic bag which contained a winter hat, a scarf, and a mini pack of cigarettes :w00t: (imagine that).

We lost a close game 22-19 to the saints, but James Lofton caught a 40 yard TD bomb from Jim Kelly, and Pete Metzellars caught a TD pass in the 3rd quarter to keep it close. My Father kept his seasons until I was in graduate school and his health began to decline. I went to at least 2-3 home games every year from 1990-2006.

I thought it would be interesting to hear others' experiences of their first game...especially the "old timers" who got to see their first game at The Rockpile.

November 1970, loss to the Bengals at the Rockpile. OJ ripped up a knee on a kickoff return and the Bills pretty much gave it up after that. Our seats were right behind the Bills bench and they brought OJ off right in front of us. Still have the pennant.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199710260buf.htm

OT Loss to Denver: 10/26/1997

It was cold, rainy and miserable. My buddy (Broncos fan) and I were TOTALLY unprepared. No rain gear. By the time we got into the game, we were soaked through and freezing. But it still goes down as one of the greatest "firsts" of my life.

The opening of Rich Stadium 1973; preseason game, Washington's Herb Mul-Key ran the opening kickoff back for TD. Sat in last row up top. Traffic was still backed up going into the 3rd quarter. Still have the commemorative coin.

Not sure the year. Maybe '73 or '74. Bills vs. Jets. Terrible weather rained buckets. We watched the second half from a local bar. At least I got to see OJ and Joe Namath play. Oh and I got to go because my mother fall and broke her arm "dancing" the night before. :D

The opening of Rich Stadium 1973; preseason game, Washington's Herb Mul-Key ran the opening kickoff back for TD. Sat in last row up top. Traffic was still backed up going into the 3rd quarter. Still have the commemorative coin.

My first game too! Still have the coin, and my ticket stub! :thumbsup:

I had a blast...I was 8 at the time, too young to really know the difference between a pre-season game and a regular season game... the only downer for me was that OJ did not play!

November 1970, loss to the Bengals at the Rockpile. OJ ripped up a knee on a kickoff return and the Bills pretty much gave it up after that. Our seats were right behind the Bills bench and they brought OJ off right in front of us. Still have the pennant.

This wasn't my first game, but I was there too; I was 11 at the time. I think the tickets were $7. We had them pinned on the bulletin board for weeks. The morning of the game, my Dad was having chest pains and took me for a walk to tell me he couldn't go to the game. So my mother and sister took me. It was horrible - drunk college kids spilled wine on our blanket and burned cigarette holes in it. OJ goes down with a knee injury, right below us. All in all, a miserable day in my young life.

My first game was the 48-6 thrashing by the Raiders in 1968. Another bummer. How i remained a Bills fan after those two experiences, I'll never know.

First home game was the Monday night game, October 2007 against the cowboys.... Pretty sure we all remember how that went down... Got season tickets the following year, had them ever since...

First away game was pittsburgh 2 years ago... Since then mrs Cletus and I hit an away fame every year... Last year Chicago, this year philly...

The first season I can recall specific memories from was '76 (I was seven), but the first regular season home game I attended wasn't until September 23, 1979 -- Jerry Butler's breakout game. Most fun I had ever had in my life up to that point.

Dude, i remember that game like it was yesterday. The Butler score at the end of the 2nd was on the "Big Ben" play...have no idea why they called it that instead of Hail Mary. It was the first year two offensive players could touch the ball in a succession.

I don't remember the opponent my first game..i think it was the OIlers. At the Rockpile, cold, loved seeing people beat the crap out of each other to get the basll after kicks...no nets behind the goalposts

Edited by plenzmd1

I was 6. The Bills first win over an NFL team. I think my 2nd game was the next preseason - Johnny Unitas and the Colts there for OJ's first game in a Bills uniform........I think the first regular season game was in '69 vs. Jets

AFL-preseason-game-program_1968-detroit-

I was 6. The Bills first win over an NFL team. I think my 2nd game was the next preseason - Johnny Unitas and the Colts there for OJ's first game in a Bills uniform........I think the first regular season game was in '69 vs. Jets

AFL-preseason-game-program_1968-detroit-

That's a pretty impressive Bills fan "resume."

That's a pretty impressive Bills fan "resume."

Thanks. It was great growing up with my Dad - he coached 3 sports in high school, and we went to so many games - high school, college and pro. (Saw Lanier, Murphy and Randy Smith play for Bona, Niagara, and Buff State during the end of the Little Three hey day)

I was talking with my friends a few years ago about what athletes we've seen live - in addition to seeing Lebron, Jordan, Bird, Dr. J and everybody they saw in the NFL and NHL, I said "I saw Johnny Unitas, Willie Mays and Wilt Chamberlain." They just said Whoa!.............Even though we're the same age, my Dad got me started young!

I don't remember the game just the experience which was awesome. I was 10 years old and my grandfather took me to the game. I was hooked after that. My most memorable game was the Oakland playoff blowout. I went with my dad to that one.

My first game was a preseason game against the Rams. My first real game was a game where we killed Miami, I think JP was still there. My dad wouldn't let me go till I was sixteen because of how rowdy/drunk the crowds were. Except for the kids day.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I wonder how many people don't have a clue what their first game was. I know I'm one of them. My aunt had season tickets and the extra seat would rotate around my two brothers and me. My first game would had to have been right before the superbowl years. I also couldn't tell you my first Sabres or Bisons game. For whatever reason, those details have never stuck out to me.

I wonder how many people don't have a clue what their first game was. I know I'm one of them. My aunt had season tickets and the extra seat would rotate around my two brothers and me. My first game would had to have been right before the superbowl years. I also couldn't tell you my first Sabres or Bisons game. For whatever reason, those details have never stuck out to me.

My first Bisons game went 13 innings. I had no idea what that meant, but my dad refused to leave. Lol. I thought I remembered my first Sabres game, but that was just an alumni game.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

My first Bisons game went 13 innings. I had no idea what that meant, but my dad refused to leave. Lol. I thought I remembered my first Sabres game, but that was just an alumni game.

Relevance = zero

My first game was a preseason game against the Rams. My first real game was a game where we killed Miami, I think JP was still there. My dad wouldn't let me go till I was sixteen because of how rowdy/drunk the crowds were. Except for the kids day.

Funny how things change. I was going to Bills games with my brother when he was 16 and i was 14. Started as soon as he got his license in 77.

We would go up and scalp 2 to almost every game.Dont think we ever paid more than $10 a seat, prolly did not have more then $12 in our pockets. Leave the house at 9 AM, get home at 6, no phones , no texts, no credit cards...two teenagers traveling from the Falls to Orchard Park, out front scalping tickets.

Would never let my kids do that now

Funny how things change. I was going to Bills games with my brother when he was 16 and i was 14. Started as soon as he got his license in 77.

We would go up and scalp 2 to almost every game.Dont think we ever paid more than $10 a seat, prolly did not have more then $12 in our pockets. Leave the house at 9 AM, get home at 6, no phones , no texts, no credit cards...two teenagers traveling from the Falls to Orchard Park, out front scalping tickets.

Would never let my kids do that now

Yeah ... Yeah ... You just send your kids out to buy your meth .....

October 20, 1985. A (rare) home win against the Colts. I was 6 so I dont remember much about the actual game.

I remember asking a lot of questions, like "which color are we?". I remember meeting the guys who sat next to us, Coach and Fitz. A couple of tobacco chewing jokers in their mid-20s (seemed like old men to me at the time).

The next year my parents got divorced so my grandfather gave me his season tickets because he wanted to make sure my dad and I still spent time together (which was never an issue, as my father never lived more than 1.5miles away from us and was always a part of our lives, but I digress).

From that next season (1986), I never missed a home game until 2002.

Coach and Fitz sat next to us for years, until they remodeled the stadium and our "under the cover" seats became ultra-expensive club seats in 1998. As did the family from Springville (father, mother, 3 sons and 1 daughter) who had the 6 seats directly behind us. As did "Doc" the dentist and human stat database, and his 3 friends who had the 4 seats on the other side of us. As did Brian and Lisa, the couple who sat next to the Springville contingent.

Our Section G1 group shared some of the best times in Bills history, and watched the team change from a perennial loser into 4-times AFC champs. All of our families are still close, and we've also shared in each others weddings, graduations, and unfortunately a few funerals over the years. While we are now scattered around the stadium, we still meet to tailgate together before every game.

A while back, during one of those tailgates, we were reminiscing about the good ol days when we all met and Coach and Fitz would jokingly offer 8 year old me their chewing tobacco with the question "Care for a breath mint?". We were talking about how many years we had been doing this, and with some quick math realized I was now older than Coach and Fitz were at the time of that first meeting. It truly put all of those years, and games, and experiences into perspective, and made us appreciate them.

I share all of this because this is what the Bills are about to me. Bringing people together, bringing "family" together. Its why the Bills are such an important and large part of my life. It's more than just the stupid game being played on the field, or the diva players holding out for more money. And I dont think I am unique in that way. I think it is a major reason why Buffalonians seem to care more about their team than any other NFL city (except maybe Green Bay fans who probably have similar stories).

To close on a joke, one of my first Bills memories comes from the 1986 season during the brief strike that went down that year. As we were pulling into the stadium lot Fred Smerlas and Darryl Talley jumped in front of our car. They were angry that we were crossing their picket line, and were yelling at my dad that he would take me to see "a bunch of scabs playing sub-par football" and "that's not even real football being played, man!". My dad rolled down the window and replied "You guys were 4-12 and 2-14 the last 2 years. How much worse could it be?!?". They had no reply and sulked off. Hahahaha, same ol Bills.

:bag::thumbsup::beer: :beer:

To close on a joke, one of my first Bills memories comes from the 1986 season during the brief strike that went down that year. As we were pulling into the stadium lot Fred Smerlas and Darryl Talley jumped in front of our car. They were angry that we were crossing their picket line, and were yelling at my dad that he would take me to see "a bunch of scabs playing sub-par football" and "that's not even real football being played, man!". My dad rolled down the window and replied "You guys were 4-12 and 2-14 the last 2 years. How much worse could it be?!?". They had no reply and sulked off. Hahahaha, same ol Bills.

:w00t: That is absolutely hilarious!! Good for your Dad.

Man that is hilarious. I would of loved to see Smerlas' face when your dad said that.

Man that is hilarious. I would of loved to see Smerlas' face when your dad said that.

If memory serves me correctly, it was a look of stunned disgust and defeat before they just turned and walked away. It's one of my dad's favorite Bills stories to tell. I think it does a great job illustrating the fans' long running love/hate relationship with the team. We still went to the games, and we still cheered for those players when they eventually returned.

If memory serves me correctly, it was a look of stunned disgust and defeat before they just turned and walked away. It's one of my dad's favorite Bills stories to tell. I think it does a great job illustrating the fans' long running love/hate relationship with the team. We still went to the games, and we still cheered for those players when they eventually returned.

Just one little nitpick..strike was 87.

I remember going to the Giants game during the strike...that 6-3 classic, but do not remember the picket lines. We got there after kickoff though, so they had prolly packed it in by then

I remember going to the Giants game during the strike...that 6-3 classic, but do not remember the picket lines. We got there after kickoff though, so they had prolly packed it in by then

The strike was before my time. Did any of the "scab" players stay or make anything of themselves?

Ah yes, 87. My bad. Hey, I was 8! Gimme a break! :lol::thumbsup:

And that would make sense since the Bills were 4-12 in 86 and 2-14 in 85.

The strike was before my time. Did any of the "scab" players stay or make anything of themselves?

Not that I know of. But a number of real players crossed the lines themselves. Per Wikipedia:

The NFLPA went on strike for a month in 1987 upon the expiration of the 1982 CBA; the league's free-agent policy was the major matter in dispute.[41] This time, however, the strike only canceled one week of the season. For three weeks, the NFL staged games with hastily assembled replacement teams,[30][42] made up principally of players cut during training camp and players left out of work from the closure of the United States Football League two years prior (along with, to a lesser extent, the Montreal Alouettes, who had folded just three months prior to the strike). They were joined by a few veterans who crossed the picket lines,[30] including New York Jets defensive end Mark Gastineau, Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Randy White, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Joe Montana, New England Patriots quarterback Doug Flutie, and Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Steve Largent.[42]

My dad and I were at that game...it was during fall break so I was home from college, and we had planned on going to the game prior to the start of the season so nobody considered it could be a scab game. Ugliest display of football ever seen. LT broke the picket line and played. The Bills' scab kicker (Todd Schlopy) was 2/5 on FGs and the Bills turned it over SEVEN times -- but they won, 6-3, in the final minute of OT, and the crowd still in the stands chanted "Schlopy, Schlopy, Schlopy..."

In that Giants game at then Rich Stadium, LT needed some blow and was out of cash...so he played both ways for the Giants and just dominated.

My dad and I were at that game...it was during fall break so I was home from college, and we had planned on going to the game prior to the start of the season so nobody considered it could be a scab game. Ugliest display of football ever seen. LT broke the picket line and played. The Bills' scab kicker (Todd Schlopy) was 2/5 on FGs and the Bills turned it over SEVEN times -- but they won, 6-3, in the final minute of OT, and the crowd still in the stands chanted "Schlopy, Schlopy, Schlopy..."

that game was awesome though...like 10,000 people, sit wherever you wanted, no beer lines..just a ton of fun

That's hilarious. Good ol Bills fans. :beer: :beer:

I remember the Colts game from that year too, because of how empty the stadium was. It seemed like my dad and I were the only ones at the stadium, and I recall moving around to a bunch of different seats all over the place (50 yard line, front row, etc), just because we could.

edit: Wow, sure enough, wikipedia shows the attendance of that game at 9,860! Wonder if that was lowest attendance on record??

Edited by DrDareustein

Mine was an away game. In Charlotte with Aussiew and the group. Trent was knocked out in AZ the week before. Bills WON!! What a blast it was chanting "Let's go Buffalo" going down the ramp from the upper deck!! Have seen the Bills play 7 times and the Charlotte game was the only time to have seen them win.

That's hilarious. Good ol Bills fans. :beer: :beer:

I remember the Colts game from that year too, because of how empty the stadium was. It seemed like my dad and I were the only ones at the stadium, and I recall moving around to a bunch of different seats all over the place (50 yard line, front row, etc), just because we could.

edit: Wow, sure enough, wikipedia shows the attendance of that game at 9,860! Wonder if that was lowest attendance on record??

Nope. 216. CGFs Cowgirls. 216. Same year though for the same reason.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198711220dal.htm