Harvin: The world hasnt seen me explode like I'm about to

They liked him well enough to bring him in with a "show me" contract. I don't get all warm and fuzzy about any coach saying anything positive about a player on their team unless it is quantifiable. Honestly, what else are they going to say about him? The quantifiable part is 8 games, 29 receptions, 350 yards and 1 touchdown with the Jets. If I'm Rex I'm not thrilled with that production rate or his injury history, but I'd be happy to talk him up because he does have talent and because he can help the team if he lives up to that, stays healthy and feels like playing. Oh, right, that "hard worker" thing you mentioned. Did that label apply when he repeatedly benched himself when he was with Seattle? Those are just more empty words when compared with his history. Hope that answered your question. Now answer mine: What makes you think it'll all be so different with him this time around?

It's not going to be different. It's going to be the same as last year on the Jets. He's going to get along great with his teammates and his coaches.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They liked him well enough to bring him in with a "show me" contract. I don't get all warm and fuzzy about any coach saying anything positive about a player on their team unless it is quantifiable. Honestly, what else are they going to say about him? The quantifiable part is 8 games, 29 receptions, 350 yards and 1 touchdown with the Jets. If I'm Rex I'm not thrilled with that production rate or his injury history, but I'd be happy to talk him up because he does have talent and because he can help the team if he lives up to that, stays healthy and feels like playing. Oh, right, that "hard worker" thing you mentioned. Did that label apply when he repeatedly benched himself when he was with Seattle? Those are just more empty words when compared with his history. Hope that answered your question. Now answer mine: What makes you think it'll all be so different with him this time around?

He actually did already answer the question. His head coach and position coach from last year are sold I would venture to say that weighs more heavily than either past experience or fan message board opinions

From Kyle Williams...

Q: Kyle, with Rex, bringing in a guy like Richie, someone like Percy (Harvin), these guys that have had issues in locker rooms in the past, does that make it even more important for leaders like you, Mario (Williams), and Fred (Jackson) to have control of the locker room?

A: We have a really good locker room. We have a great mix of guys. Guys that are important to one another. Guys that the game is important to them. Those guys coming in, they’ll see that. Richie was already here, I was just telling Sal, he was a great teammate here. I haven’t been around Percy, but you talk to guys on the Jets last year, he was a great teammate there. So, you don’t go in expecting bad things of people. You expect them to be great teammates and to play hard and to care about what’s going on. They’ll get a vibe from the locker room and they’ll see that’s what’s in the in the locker room, so I’m excited to have them. They’re both great players and they’re going to help us win.

The bottom line is you either believe in our teams management when it comes to players or you dont......

Simple as that

That is a ridiculous simplification of the situation.

For showing up mid season, that's great production

No, it really isn't.

It's not going to be different. It's going to be the same as last year on the Jets. He's going to get along great with his teammates and his coaches.

So he will average about 3 catches and 30 or so yards per game in 2015, then be released in the offseason before the big money kicks in next season. Or maybe he'll be traded mid season. Just like last year. Wonderful.

He actually did already answer the question. His head coach and position coach from last year are sold I would venture to say that weighs more heavily than either past experience or fan message board opinions

He didn't answer it. And they aren't sold on him or he wouldn't be on deal that is a one year show me contract with high dollar future years that each must be earned. That's not a committment, that's a one year tryout. If they were sold on him, he'd have gotten a long term commitment with real upfront, guaranteed dollars.

I've said my peace and I will leave it as that. Again, I hope it works out differently this time.

No, it really isn't.

So he will average about 3 catches and 30 or so yards per game in 2015, then be released in the offseason before the big money kicks in next season. Or maybe he'll be traded mid season. Just like last year. Wonderful.

He didn't answer it. And they aren't sold on him or he wouldn't be on deal that is a one year show me contract with high dollar future years that each must be earned. That's not a committment, that's a one year tryout. If they were sold on him, he'd have gotten a long term commitment with real upfront, guaranteed dollars.

I've said my peace and I will leave it as that. Again, I hope it works out differently this time.

You and I were talking about him being trouble off the field, and in the locker room, not what he did on it.

No, it really isn't.

He played 8 games as a jet. That would be a 700 yard receiving season - plus his 110 rushing which project to 220.

and that included games where geno was practically not allowed to pass, and one against us where harvin was in NY 5 days before kickoff.... So 460 from scrimmage is not too shabby.

No, it really isn't.

The eternal optimist I see....

The bottom line is you either believe in our teams management when it comes to players or you dont......

Simple as that

The wild card with Rex is, from reading "Collision Low Crossers", that his heart can interfere with his head when it comes to personnel decisions. It was clear from the book that Rex would become emotionally invested in certain players, overriding objective assessment of their talent. Rex stuck with guys way too long and other coaches on the staff began to question it.

So, I guess given that information, it's not an either/or proposition when it comes to believing in this staff or not. I believe in Rex's ability to judge talent, but maybe not so much his ability to make objective performance-based personnel decisions.

at the end of the day it will all come back to one simple thing...QB play. All the weapons in the world won't mean a thing if the QB doesn't make good decisions and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers like Harvin, Watkins, McCoy, Clay, Woods, etc.

Put a great QB with these weapons and we'd be a serious favorite, but with Cassels we just hold our breaths and hope for the best.

at the end of the day it will all come back to one simple thing...QB play. All the weapons in the world won't mean a thing if the QB doesn't make good decisions and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers like Harvin, Watkins, McCoy, Clay, Woods, etc.

Put a great QB with these weapons and we'd be a serious favorite, but with Cassels we just hold our breaths and hope for the best.

Yes and no. Harvin, McCoy and Watkins are all guys that can make huge plays with swing passes or simple slants or sweeps. You don't need great quarterbacking for a lot of plays to them. I very much doubt that Cassel or EJ or whoever is QBing will be doing a lot of seven step drops and going through progressions. Roman is going to design and call plays to get mismatch problems and guys like Harvin or Watkins to get single coverage and then get them the ball quick.

Wow, we haven't seen that point made here before. Ever.

Yes and no. Harvin, McCoy and Watkins are all guys that can make huge plays with swing passes or simple slants or sweeps. You don't need great quarterbacking for a lot of plays to them. I very much doubt that Cassel or EJ or whoever is QBing will be doing a lot of seven step drops and going through progressions. Roman is going to design and call plays to get mismatch problems and guys like Harvin or Watkins to get single coverage and then get them the ball quick.

I think that this point is missed by us and certainly the national media. I think that you are going to see the ball out quickly and a lot of yards after the catch (kind of like NE does). They use their short passing game like a running game.

I think that this point is missed by us and certainly the national media. I think that you are going to see the ball out quickly and a lot of yards after the catch (kind of like NE does). They use their short passing game like a running game.

YAC = Morale killers = The Pats* recipe for overachieving

All of this. Pound em Pound em then get sneaky on their asses.

Shoulda been doing that last year..

but yes i can see this is the theme .

If they find a rhythm with either QB sometime during the year, i would not short change becoming a deeper passing team.

They have the receivers. and again the mismatch to get a Goodwin or Harvin Woods Watkins singled deep. Thats what Good game coaching can do for you.

If someone told the front office to make as much noise as possible after Marrone left I don't think they could have. They've been making headlines every step of the way.

Its been a riot !

And Harvin talking already is awesome. Young Man is excited to be in Buffalo !

I am thinking Percy gets it dialed in this year. and shows up. Maybe not stat wise, but big and " explosive" plays ftw.