Article - "Ryan talks a good game, but will wins follow?"

webtoe

Just perusing the arcticles on TBD and it is really striking how easy it is to pick out articles written by Sullivan or Gleason. I am sure this one is written by Jerry, but I refuse to click on it, just to read another in the long line of articles with a negative spin.

I am all in favor of writing critical objective articles, but an article before even the draft takes place with that angle adds no value, and unfortunately is indicative of the drivel continuosuly provide.

I really think Sullivan may just be shooting for Rodak's job at ESPN.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex seems like the type of coach where it's going to be fun for the first 2-3 years and then the crash is spectacular. Players coaches seem to be that way in general, good initial boost but a bad downfall as they tend to lose the locker room towards the end.

Nah. Guys like Rodak are a dime-a-dozen and are paid accordingly. Jerry's got (by today's newspaper business standards, anyway) a pretty good gig at the Snooze...

Best not to read an article, before starting a thread criticizing it! :rolleyes:

Agreed but it's hard to respect Sullivan or any of these loudmouth media members. Sullivan called Mario a loser on WGR 2 years ago. Did he ever apologize for being wrong when Mario has been an all pro the last 2 seasons? Or how about when he said the Bills should cut Dareus last offseason? Any accountability for Sullivan? Zero.

Everyone makes mistakes but I don't respect people who don't own up to them. 75% of sports media is a joke. A bunch of geeks who never played a sport in hteir life taking shots at guys who could break them in half. Sullivan is awful. The voice of the miserable.

Rex seems like the type of coach where it's going to be fun for the first 2-3 years and then the crash is spectacular. Players coaches seem to be that way in general, good initial boost but a bad downfall as they tend to lose the locker room towards the end.

Yeah, I agree. Sort of like a John Tortorella without being an ass. Rapid rise and descent.

Just perusing the arcticles on TBD and it is really striking how easy it is to pick out articles written by Sullivan or Gleason. I am sure this one is written by Jerry, but I refuse to click on it, just to read another in the long line of articles with a negative spin.

I am all in favor of writing critical objective articles, but an article before even the draft takes place with that angle adds no value, and unfortunately is indicative of the drivel continuosuly provide.

Yeah, that's one I thought was clearly Sullivan so I didn't click on it or read it. I'm sure it is just the beginning of his idiotic negative crap articles.

Sullivan actually brings up a valid point. Jet's fans have first hand experience with this and would tell you the exact same thing.

But the Jets players still held Rex in high regard.

His bluster can get old, but right now it's so refreshing after having St. Doug basically call everyone garbage and view the job as below himself. I don't think Rex will have a problem getting buy in from the team, it seems like everyone has massive chips on their shoulders, even guys they brought in like McCoy and Harvin who've proven their abilities elsewhere.

The Buffalo print and radio media are very depressing. I live in NJ and I can tell you that I rarely read or listen to anything coming out of Buffalo. My choice for reading football news is ProFootbalTalk and my choice for radio is 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly. That Philly station loves talking NFL football, they always seem excited and it’s a positive experience listening to the hosts. Whenever I’ve tried to listen to WGR it just seems so down in the dumps no matter who is the host. It’s like a cloud hangs over everybody there and having passion for football and the Bills is simply not allowed. The hosts at WGR seem very disinterested in football when it’s not football season. They also never seemed to have a grasp on what’s going on. The Philly hosts are very tuned into to every aspect of the NFL.
Edited by 1billsfan

But the Jets players still held Rex in high regard.

His bluster can get old, but right now it's so refreshing after having St. Doug basically call everyone garbage and view the job as below himself. I don't think Rex will have a problem getting buy in from the team, it seems like everyone has massive chips on their shoulders, even guys they brought in like McCoy and Harvin who've proven their abilities elsewhere.

Not that they were similar in any way, but I remember some fans getting tired of Marv's personality too, I think it's natural, unless, or sometimes even if your are successful for people to want something different, we are impatient and often see the grass is greener on the other side.

Agreed but it's hard to respect Sullivan or any of these loudmouth media members. Sullivan called Mario a loser on WGR 2 years ago. Did he ever apologize for being wrong when Mario has been an all pro the last 2 seasons? Or how about when he said the Bills should cut Dareus last offseason? Any accountability for Sullivan? Zero.

Everyone makes mistakes but I don't respect people who don't own up to them. 75% of sports media is a joke. A bunch of geeks who never played a sport in hteir life taking shots at guys who could break them in half. Sullivan is awful. The voice of the miserable.

Yep, which is why I don't patronize his **** or Rodak's. Sullivan doesn't know what he's talking about and Rodak is a troll. This is the internet age, neither the Buffalo News nor ESPN has the market share of Bills information that would allow them to keep these clowns relevant.

So do like me and do your part. They're only as relevant as you make them.

Many many many many many other writers/analysts out there have much much much much much much much better insight than either of these tools.

So don't patronize them.

Well that's what happened in his only run as HC yes. Not necessarily a pattern yet. Also, I don't think he ever lost that locker room according to his ex-players. Also remember, last year the Jets were 4-12 but a very competitive 4-12 who almost beat the Packers on the road, NE twice, and Detroit, and they convincingly beat Pittsburgh somehow! Believe it or not, if they had won all their close games (7 or less) they would have been 10-6! I know that doesn't mean anything. I just think He just never had the personnel he needed to take them over the top in the end as his rosters got progressively worse. Let's see how he does with our boys.

Sullivan actually brings up a valid point. Jet's fans have first hand experience with this and would tell you the exact same thing.

You mean a bad GM and forcing Rex to use horrible players? I don't think Whaley will get like that.

You really think Whaley is going to do what Idzik did to Rex?

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying with regard to sports journalism. But I also don't believe that playing a sport is a prerequisite for being a good sports journalist.

Except Rex never lost the Jets' locker room. Rex was done in by a front office that wasn't on the same page.

Well Rex has always had top 10 defenses. He has always relied on the Ground and Pound. HIs former GM's got too reliant on Revis so when he left their secondary caved.

Rex has always had issues with QB's. It could be his fault or the GM's. I get the impression that Rex tends to stay out of personal and just coaches what he has. I think this is why Whaley/Rex get along for the most part. Whaley is the GM and responsible for obtaining players that his coaches require. He obviously collaborates well. This is why Doug Marrone and Doug Whaley came into conflict. Marrone wanted more control over personal like he had in college. It doesn't work that way.

Well Rex has always had top 10 defenses. He has always relied on the Ground and Pound. HIs former GM's got too reliant on Revis so when he left their secondary caved.

Rex has always had issues with QB's. It could be his fault or the GM's. I get the impression that Rex tends to stay out of personal and just coaches what he has. I think this is why Whaley/Rex get along for the most part. Whaley is the GM and responsible for obtaining players that his coaches require. He obviously collaborates well. This is why Doug Marrone and Doug Whaley came into conflict. Marrone wanted more control over personal like he had in college. It doesn't work that way.

Marrone was a total poser head coach. He tried to project a "Bill Parcells" aura and then he started to believe he was actually Bill Parcells...LOL

He will probably never get another NFL head coaching job again. Because as an NFL owner, when you start seeing a guy like Marrone with such a nothing resume try to throw his weight around, you could only imagine the nightmare he would become if he ever to just get his team in the playoffs. Maybe he'd ask for partial ownership of the team then? Wow, what a whack job that guy was.

Edited by 1billsfan