Article - "Ryan talks a good game, but will wins follow?"

webtoe

Here's my take: the Jets were Rex's first HC job. He didn't really know what he did or didn't need, but he was an aggressive, motivational leader and he got the best out of his guys. I don't think he ever assembled a full staff headed in the same direction, and had the full support of the front office, at any point while he was there. By the end the conflicts and talent gap got to be too much for him to overcome. But he never "lost the locker room."

Now, on his second and "last" chance, it appears everyone in the organization is working together, and Rex has learned a lot from the previous six years. I don't think it's fair to predict he will "crash and burn" in Buffalo.

He got the best out of his guys? He took that team from 2 AFCC games to 8-8 and 6-10.

Well not having a QB will end up doing that to the best of coaches

Again, that same QB was on the roster in the AFCC games as well as the subsequent 2 non winning seasons.

Rex's fatal flaw is that he is horrible at picking OC's.

WEO

I am sure that you know that there is so much more to a situation then that

Even though Idzik did show up after 2 losing seasons.....that doesnt mean the situation was good before he got there.....more like making a bad situation worse

Personally I love Rex Ryan the coach.....and there have been coaches in this league that when they get to their SECOND HC job they do things a bit differently (or have a better synergistic relationship with the decision makers over them)

Like what? Ryan walked into a pretty good situation when the Jets hired him. Idzik, who is blamed for everything here, showed up for season 5.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got the best out of his guys? He took that team from 2 AFCC games to 8-8 and 6-10.

And who's to say they didn't get an inordinate number of breaks during the AFCC seasons that they didn't get the following two seasons?

You can play this game all you want; I haven't heard anything from players other than how hard they played for Rex.

Sullivan actually brings up a valid point. Jet's fans have first hand experience with this and would tell you the exact same thing.

Bingo.

Rex does talk a great game and he is an extremely likable sort of fellow.

He's what sociologists call a charismatic leader.

Then again, so was Hitler.

Again, that same QB was on the roster in the AFCC games as well as the subsequent 2 non winning seasons.

Like what? Ryan walked into a pretty good situation when the Jets hired him. Idzik, who is blamed for everything here, showed up for season 5.

How do we not know that the GM-HC problem didnt extend before Idzik?

And I agree with you that Ryan's problem has been his hiring of his OC's.....but I think he got it right on this one. IMO he follows the line of HC's that failed at their first stop...but found success at their second after they learned what not to do.

Not a huge fan of Rex ( see my screen name ), but he's a improvement on what we've had the last few years and I am curious/hopeful to see how he'll do with the Bills. A myth I cannot stand however is the belief that he gives Belicheck fits . Darth Vader is 9-4 against Rex. He owns him. I just hope that Rex has new tricks up his sleeves .

Edited by Jets Hater

And who's to say they didn't get an inordinate number of breaks during the AFCC seasons that they didn't get the following two seasons?

You can play this game all you want; I haven't heard anything from players other than how hard they played for Rex.

So the Jets free fall the past 4 years was just a difference in luck--good, then bad? Come on! No one else is playing that game..

How do we not know that the GM-HC problem didnt extend before Idzik?

And I agree with you that Ryan's problem has been his hiring of his OC's.....but I think he got it right on this one. IMO he follows the line of HC's that failed at their first stop...but found success at their second after they learned what not to do.

So now the theory is that the previous GM was the problem as well? Come on! The common denominator through 2 GMs and 3 OCs was Rex Ryan.

So the Jets free fall the past 4 years was just a difference in luck--good, then bad? Come on! No one else is playing that game..

So now the theory is that the previous GM was the problem as well? Come on! The common denominator through 2 GMs and 3 OCs was Rex Ryan.

Im not defending Rex Ryan (do I really need to) I am just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Rex Ryan falls in love with garbage QB's and hires garbage OC's. As long as he does neither of those things here, he'll be fine.

Here's my take: the Jets were Rex's first HC job. He didn't really know what he did or didn't need, but he was an aggressive, motivational leader and he got the best out of his guys. I don't think he ever assembled a full staff headed in the same direction, and had the full support of the front office, at any point while he was there. By the end the conflicts and talent gap got to be too much for him to overcome. But he never "lost the locker room."

Now, on his second and "last" chance, it appears everyone in the organization is working together, and Rex has learned a lot from the previous six years. I don't think it's fair to predict he will "crash and burn" in Buffalo.

Fair or unfair it will be said & more importantly it's mostly true about coaches in every sport. Not many retire on their terms.

Not a huge fan of Rex ( see my screen name ), but he's a improvement on what we've had the last few years and I am curious/hopeful to see how he'll do with the Bills. A myth I cannot stand however is the belief that he gives Belicheck fits . Darth Vader is 9-4 against Rex. He owns him. I just hope that Rex has new tricks up his sleeves .

I see your screen name and think "that must be a fan of another AFCE team." Nothing about the HC comes to mind.

But the Jets players still held Rex in high regard.

His bluster can get old, but right now it's so refreshing after having St. Doug basically call everyone garbage and view the job as below himself. I don't think Rex will have a problem getting buy in from the team, it seems like everyone has massive chips on their shoulders, even guys they brought in like McCoy and Harvin who've proven their abilities elsewhere.

yes, i think this may be the closest thing to the first players team we've had since the SB teams.. lets see who steps up and invests himself as leader

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

you need to get some sleep, I used to respect what you posted, no longer

you are ignoring many rational arguments and sticking to the he sucked and always will mentality,

Fair or unfair it will be said & more importantly it's mostly true about coaches in every sport. Not many retire on their terms.

I see your screen name and think "that must be a fan of another AFCE team." Nothing about the HC comes to mind.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. As I said earlier, Rex is an improvement on what we had before. I just don't see him as the Messiah like some posters do. I am hopeful however and looking forward to see some positive results.

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

you need to get some sleep, I used to respect what you posted, no longer

you are ignoring many rational arguments and sticking to the he sucked and always will mentality,

blah blah blah is how you make your best arguments.

I don't think he "sucks and always will"--never said that (I think you know this, but I may be giving you too much credit). I have made my points, given the facts that support them and, I believe, refute the points others have made. That's how this works. Feel free to disagree, but do so with a cogent discussion.

blah blah blah is how you make your best arguments.

I don't think he "sucks and always will"--never said that (I think you know this, but I may be giving you too much credit). I have made my points, given the facts that support them and, I believe, refute the points others have made. That's how this works. Feel free to disagree, but do so with a cogent discussion.

WEO

Exactly what facts have you given? If you consider the what the jets record was as your "facts" it is a using a broadsword where a scalpel should be used to try to figure out what happened between the 2 AFC championship runs and the droubt

- Rex Ryan did not all of a sudden become a bad coach

- I am quite sure that he did contribute to some of it

Not sure what you are trying to say here. As I said earlier, Rex is an improvement on what we had before. I just don't see him as the Messiah like some posters do. I am hopeful however and looking forward to see some positive results.

Are their really coaches that are "messiahs"?

It is a combonation of knowing what your doing.....knowing how to hire good assistants....and having a organization that is willing to get you what you need

Rex Ryan falls in love with garbage QB's and hires garbage OC's. As long as he does neither of those things here, he'll be fine.

Or perhaps he works with the QBs he is given?

As far as hiring garbage OC's......perhaps this is one of the things he has learned for his second stint

WEO

Exactly what facts have you given? If you consider the what the jets record was as your "facts" it is a using a broadsword where a scalpel should be used to try to figure out what happened between the 2 AFC championship runs and the droubt

- Rex Ryan did not all of a sudden become a bad coach

- I am quite sure that he did contribute to some of it

Are their really coaches that are "messiahs"?

It is a combonation of knowing what your doing.....knowing how to hire good assistants....and having a organization that is willing to get you what you need

Or perhaps he works with the QBs he is given?

As far as hiring garbage OC's......perhaps this is one of the things he has learned for his second stint

He got a Sancho tatoo, John. It wasn't just a working relationship. Edited by FireChan

Bottom line is that he is a losing coach. His winning % is under 0.500. Let's hope that he has learned from his mistakes and the Bills reaps all the benefits.

Sure but Belichick was even worse than Ryan before he got the NE job.

I stated that Ryan is the type of coach who will be better at his 2nd job long before he got the Bills job. He is a defensive mastermind and just needs to find the right OC/ qb.

Sure but Belichick was even worse than Ryan before he got the NE job.

I stated that Ryan is the type of coach who will be better at his 2nd job long before he got the Bills job. He is a defensive mastermind and just needs to find the right OC/ qb.

I hope you're right.

Here is the classic, negative, no nothing take of J Sullivan and the two nitwits on WGR afternoons - that the Watkins trade up was a blunder, should not/cannot not give up that 2015 # 1 pick. In the first place, to legitimately criticize that move, you should at least have some familiarity with the quality of players in the 2015 draft. Most NFL observers consider the second half of the first round in 2015 draft to be extremely weak. When Whaley makes that same point, Sullivan writes that Whaley is just attempting to justify his move. No Jerry, most NFL observers agree with Whaley, and it would be nice if for just once in your career you would develop a knowledgeable NFL source instead of taking the lazy way out and just gracing us with your uninformed opinion.

In criticizing that trade up, I never hear what dynamic player would be available at the # 19 spot. It is a sure bet that any player available at 19 would not make one iota of difference in the Bills 2015 playoff chances; had they retained that pick. But Watkins will!!

Here is the classic, negative, no nothing take of J Sullivan and the two nitwits on WGR afternoons - that the Watkins trade up was a blunder, should not/cannot not give up that 2015 # 1 pick. In the first place, to legitimately criticize that move, you should at least have some familiarity with the quality of players in the 2015 draft. Most NFL observers consider the second half of the first round in 2015 draft to be extremely weak. When Whaley makes that same point, Sullivan writes that Whaley is just attempting to justify his move. No Jerry, most NFL observers agree with Whaley, and it would be nice if for just once in your career you would develop a knowledgeable NFL source instead of taking the lazy way out and just gracing us with your uninformed opinion.

In criticizing that trade up, I never hear what dynamic player would be available at the # 19 spot. It is a sure bet that any player available at 19 would not make one iota of difference in the Bills 2015 playoff chances; had they retained that pick. But Watkins will!!

Sully is the same guy who complained the Bills were too conservative, never making bold moves to get better because they were too worried about protecting their jobs.

Edited by PromoTheRobot