What's the deal with Ross Cockrell

ny33

i honestly only remember two things about Brooks in 2014. When he got hurt in the Detroit game on ST on that scary play, and then when both gilmore and mckelvin were out in the last game at NE and he started at corner and was brutal. I think he is ok depth though. It is a bad draft for CBs and there are fewer and fewer ready to succeed in man coverage on NFL WRs straight out of college due to the types of offenses being run in cfb.

Yeah. Overall he has underwhelmed at CB. I think the idea was that he would start as slot corner before Robey came in and won the job. I am fine with him as depth, but would like to see more from Cockrell in 2015.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those saying he has underperformed, look at the last two years or more of the draft and look at how many of the top tier CB's have not panned out that well.

behind qb and maybe OT, I think its the hardest position to project translated success from CFB to pro. So tough to perform at a high level as a rookie.

Speaking of CBs, I'm a big fan of Robey (in a strictly nickel-slot CB role), and I hope it's on Whaley's mind to tie him up long-term. Something economical, nothing big money, but after this coming season he is a RFA. Surely, they will tender him, and he'll play for about 1.5 million in 2016, but if we could tender him and then offer him, say, a 3 year, $8-9 million deal, I think that would be a real sharp move. He was excellent in 2013 as a slot corner/ occasional edge rusher, pretty good last year in a very different system, and I'm sure will be very good again this coming year in Rex's system.

I know he has his limitations (a real liability on the perimeter, doesn't seem to have very good hands), but if kept in his role, he is a real asset for us, going forward, and we never even spent a draft pick on him. Plus, we can afford to pay him, as either Cockrell or a draft pick in the next year or 2 will likely be the starting perimeter CB opposite the now well paid Gilmore, and Cockrell or that draft pick will be on their rookie deal through Robey's projected contract, so it's not like we're paying 3 CBs starter money (I see Corey Graham playing a lot more Safety in Searcy's place, and either at the end of this season, or the 2016 season, being a salary cap cut, which knocks another 4.5 million off the books... Not saying I want it, I just see that happening, if he plays anything at a lower level than he did last year).

What's the deal? He was what drafted in the 3rd-4th round last year? Give the kid a break.

I'm not criticizing him in any way. I'm asking if there has been any information on his development as I haven't seen a single article on the player, which is unusual.

Corners take time, this will be a big year. If he has developed to the point where he can contribute on a regular basis, it should start to show this year. As for getting rid of McKelvin — not a good idea. Has he lived up to his draft position? No. Is he good? Yes.

Not sure how he develops without playing.

From the B-News article by Carucci today, a quote by Whaley:

“And that’s our goal, that’s our philosophy, to have those guys in for two or three years, have them on special teams and add depth. And when their number’s called, they’ve been in the system for a while and they’ll have less propensity to make mistakes.”

Edited by TPS

Rex described our secondary as second to only Seattle.

That's why Ross is so quiet. The same reason Doug has attempted to temper our draft expectations. Between Gilmore, McKelvin and Graham we are very talented at corner. I'm sure Ross is fine.

We're so used to having a bad football team we forgot the draft wasn't supposed to produce starters.

“And that’s our goal, that’s our philosophy, to have those guys in for two or three years, have them on special teams and add depth. And when their number’s called, they’ve been in the system for a while and they’ll have less propensity to make mistakes.”

Keep in mind that Duke Williams didnt play immediately either

He is set to be a big part of this years defense

Getting back to Cockrell...

It looks like he got the redshirt treatment that Duke and Meeks got. I remember hearing when he was drafted that if he put on some muscle he would be a good fit as a ball hawking FS. With Seacry getting overpaid, and AW being versatile enough to be SS or FS, I'm curious if Cockrell might settle into Byrd's old role.

Yes, that's "the Steelers way".

Interestingly, while it's worked well historically for LB and CB, I don't recall ever being impressed by the Steeler's OL in recent years. But maybe I've only seen it towards the end of the season when injuries have wrecked it.

He is a pretty good ST player and he is a very heavy hitter. Definitely hasn't shown enough at corner, although I do remember him having to play a little earlier in the season and he did well enough (can't remember which games).

Brooks was good at getting penalties on ST.

a note on Robey

I think that he is a player that is going to excel in Rex Ryan's D scheme

Remember how good he looked in Pettine with all of his exotic blitz schemes? I thought that short but stout corner from USC really excelled in that D

Totally. He wasn't quite as good under Schwartz. He still had a fine season, but Pettine put him in a position to make more plays, it seemed. Also, probably, more offenses tested him in his first year.