If the Bills had a 1st...

I am an advocate of the Watkins trade. This thread is not designed to judge that move. It is purely a hypothetical "what if they had a 1st?" Who would you want the Bills to select at pick 19? I thought that it would make for an interesting discussion.

For me I guess it would be La'el Collins.

Obviously it would depend upon who's available - and I'm sure this topic will be revisited post draft - but I think the Bills would go OL as well. An OT like Collins, Peat of Flowers makes a lot of sense. I would throw C/G/OT Cam Erving in the mix as well as he offers a lot of versatility.

Well, to be fair, the one on my list I would take is Landon Collins :P

Would you plan on Collins playing guard or tackle?

Personally, I see him as a long-term fixture at guard, and only a mediocre option at tackle. Not that I'm a scout or anything, so take this with a grain of salt, but here was my scouting report on him:

Jersey #70

http://draftbreakdow...s-florida-2014/

(time notes are examples from the video above)

- Athletic for a big man; explodes off the snap (0:00)

- Takes a wide pass set; exposes him to inside moves (1:00), (3:45)

- Locks onto defenders, but doesn’t seem to finish all the time (1:12), (3:20)

- Can get off his initial block and work up to a 2nd level defender (2:45), (4:45)

- (4:00) This right here is why I think he can play guard. He plants his leg inside to prevent an interior push, locks onto his man, presses him off, and creates a huge hole…does basically the same thing on the next play too

- At his best moving toward the center, where he can use his size to collapse the DL

The likelihood is that some team is going to take Collins in the 1st round as an OT, and I think that’s a mistake. He may be okay out there, as he’s a good athlete, but I think—because he seems to work down the LOS better than he does working away from it—he’s a better fit at guard. If he somehow slipped to round 2 I wouldn’t hesitate.

I am an advocate of the Watkins trade. This thread is not designed to judge that move. It is purely a hypothetical "what if they had a 1st?" Who would you want the Bills to select at pick 19? I thought that it would make for an interesting discussion.

For me I guess it would be La'el Collins.

Same question to you Kirbs...Collins: guard or tackle?

Would you plan on Collins playing guard or tackle?

Personally, I see him as a long-term fixture at guard, and only a mediocre option at tackle. Not that I'm a scout or anything, so take this with a grain of salt, but here was my scouting report on him:

Landon Collins would play SS :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pl6_FcMQfQ

Same question to you Kirbs...Collins: guard or tackle?

Nice scouting report!!!

He is a guard to me. I'm really not a fan of the tackles in this class. With that being said I like the fact that Collins can kick out to tackle in a pinch. I know that teams try not to move people around too much on the OL but if one of the tackles got hurt he could go outside and Urbik replace him at OG. That is an option if they don't like their tackle depth with Cyrus. Collins' versatility is what is most intriguing to me.

Landon Collins would play SS :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pl6_FcMQfQ

Wow...yes...I can read can't I?

Nice scouting report!!!

He is a guard to me. I'm really not a fan of the tackles in this class. With that being said I like the fact that Collins can kick out to tackle in a pinch. I know that teams try not to move people around too much on the OL but if one of the tackles got hurt he could go outside and Urbik replace him at OG. That is an option if they don't like their tackle depth with Cyrus. Collins' versatility is what is most intriguing to me.

Wholly agree.

I'd want Bryce Petty. I'd bet $$ that Rex would pound the table for Arik Armstead though; he's got the physical attributes that cannot be coached, and needs a great DL coach to bring him along.

Agree that Petty and/or Hundley would definitely be in the conversation.

Best player available cuz I aint quittin on EJ! I will defend my position once again. He is a good mature kid with tons of talent who handled a poor situation last year with class. And yes he needs to work on accuracy. Now we have a real coaching staff who will work with him. We also have quarterbacks to give him competition. And if he doesnt beat them out so be it but im banking on EJ-->the young kid who has only played 14 games in the NFL.

Best player available cuz I aint quittin on EJ! I will defend my position once again. He is a good mature kid with tons of talent who handled a poor situation last year with class. And yes he needs to work on accuracy. Now we have a real coaching staff who will work with him. We also have quarterbacks to give him competition. And if he doesnt beat them out so be it but im banking on EJ-->the young kid who has only played 14 games in the NFL.

This^

What if BPA is a QB? What if Mariota fell to 19? What if they are as high on Petty as some suspect? It is possible that Petty will be the highest rated player on their board at 50 (even though most don't project him that high). What would you do then? Is it BPA regardless of position or BPA except at QB?

For me it is BPA at a position of need (QB, OL, TE, LB or S). I don't think that they can go pure BPA.

What if BPA is a QB? What if Mariota fell to 19? What if they are as high on Petty as some suspect? It is possible that Petty will be the highest rated player on their board at 50 (even though most don't project him that high). What would you do then? Is it BPA regardless of position or BPA except at QB?

For me it is BPA at a position of need (QB, OL, TE, LB or S). I don't think that they can go pure BPA.

I know QBs tend to get over-drafted, but I'm really starting to get the sneaking suspicion that Petty will go in the 1st. Not sure why...maybe it's because I could see a guy like Payton taking him at 31 to groom behind Brees.

I know QBs tend to get over-drafted, but I'm really starting to get the sneaking suspicion that Petty will go in the 1st. Not sure why...maybe it's because I could see a guy like Payton taking him at 31 to groom behind Brees.

I could see that too. They are probably going to have to acquire the guy to follow Brees in the next year or so. With all of the picks this season it may make sense. That is assuming they like one of the 2nd tier guys.

Petty is really raw to me. He has some ability but will need time. There are some that believe that he could end up the best of all of them but to me he is kind of boom or bust.

Trade down and have 2 2nd round picks (OL and LB) and then trade the 3rd rounder for RG3 and then win the Super Bowl and have a parade and I will be at that parade if I can take off work but everyone will want to take off work that day so I will get stuck working so then I will be sad and when I'm sad I like to drink and post "what if" threads on the internet forums and those always invite crazy answers and speculation because it's all make believe nonsense that will never happen :)

If Landon Collins is there, that's the guy I'd want. We've got some safeties opposite A. Williams who have potential, but nowhere near the ceiling of Collins. That seems like the one guy who might be available we could plug in right away and upgrade our defense.

If Collins is gone, I'd trade back and pick up more picks. Trading into the 20s would still allow us to pick up one of the top TEs or linemen.

A darkhorse I wouldn't mind exploring (esp if we trade back into the 20s) would be Gurley. We could allow him to rehab for a year and replace Fred in a rotation with McCoy for the "ground and pound".

Lets say they used the second rounder and this years third to trade up for Watikins (Which isn't unreasonable or far-fetched) and since Cyrus didn't have much of an impact its likely the team still would have finished 9-7. I think they go RT round 1 guard round 2. Roman had a lot of success with a power running O-line which featured multiple first rounders and high draft picks. I think he wouldn't mind doing that again.

Lets say they used the second rounder and this years third to trade up for Watikins (Which isn't unreasonable or far-fetched) and since Cyrus didn't have much of an impact its likely the team still would have finished 9-7. I think they go RT round 1 guard round 2. Roman had a lot of success with a power running O-line which featured multiple first rounders and high draft picks. I think he wouldn't mind doing that again.

The problem with that thinking is I don't agree that Flowers, Peat, T.J. Clemmings or La'el Collins are clearly better prospects than Kouandjio or Henderson. Kouandjio was mocked as a first all pre draft last year before he went in the 2nd due to concerns about his knee. Henderson has always been viewed as a blue chip prospect with significant character concerns knocking him way down the board.

We need an elite young guard prospect, but I would have been shocked if we used our hypothetical 1st this year on a RT. People need to get over this belief that a rookie available to us would definitely walk in and blow away Henderson/Cyrus with a year of experience under their belts.

Even if its a QB at BPA sure why not? Its a QB league and you can never have enough Edited by billsfan_34

Thanks for clearing that up. BPA is usually the best strategy. At this point I am hoping for BPA at a position of need which I consider: QB, TE, OL, S and LB.

No problem at all. When a team is in a position to go BPA in the early rounds it says alot about where they are at. This team is so close to the promise land. I agree BPA is always the best strategy but sometimes teams have so many holes it cant be utilized.