Rivers in 2016?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at Rivers' career - especially the last two years - it boggles the mind that SD would even think of trading him. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00.htm .

He's a HOF QB, in my opinion, and moreover he's still really good. In the 9 years he has been the starting QB, the Chargers have had one losing season, and they went 7-9 that one year.

Just looking at Rivers' career - especially the last two years - it boggles the mind that SD would even think of trading him. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00.htm .

He's a HOF QB, in my opinion, and moreover he's still really good. In the 9 years he has been the starting QB, the Chargers have had one losing season, and they went 7-9 that one year.

They didn't. His agent was the one stirring the rumors because he is reluctant to sign an extension this year and will be a FA. Not to say he won't sign one, but there are some variables as to why he is taking his time. SD never wanted to trade him, nor did they speak to any teams about doing so.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yep, it is Rivers that may force the issue; he is a strange guy. I said it earlier but "I don't want to move to LA" is his way of saying "I don't want to play on a bad team anymore." They definitely lack talent.

I would suspect that if they are not good next year he will force a trade to the place of his choosing. My guess at this point would be Buffalo or Houston but the Jets could move in there as well. They are improved. He is going to want to chase a championship in his last 5 years much like Manning did in going to Denver. Rivers is a phenomenal QB that is stuck in a bad situation.

The good news with him staying this year is that we didn't have the ammo to get him. We will next year. He is in a weird situation where he can threaten retirement because he actually has the money to do it. He has a lot more power than most.

Yep, it is Rivers that may force the issue; he is a strange guy. I said it earlier but "I don't want to move to LA" is his way of saying "I don't want to play on a bad team anymore." They definitely lack talent.

I would suspect that if they are not good next year he will force a trade to the place of his choosing. My guess at this point would be Buffalo or Houston but the Jets could move in there as well. They are improved. He is going to want to chase a championship in his last 5 years much like Manning did in going to Denver. Rivers is a phenomenal QB that is stuck in a bad situation.

The good news with him staying this year is that we didn't have the ammo to get him. We will next year. He is in a weird situation where he can threaten retirement because he actually has the money to do it. He has a lot more power than most.

I don't think they're that bad, and they did have a winning record last year. They did land a stud RB - which they really needed - and their defense is pretty solid (9th in yards allowed last year). They have a pretty solid corps of receivers too. I guess my larger point is that they always seem capable of winning 10-11 games every year. They don't do it every year, but they have the potential to do so. I don't see a dropoff this year.

I don't think they're that bad, and they did have a winning record last year. They did land a stud RB - which they really needed - and their defense is pretty solid (9th in yards allowed last year). They have a pretty solid corps of receivers too. I guess my larger point is that they always seem capable of winning 10-11 games every year. They don't do it every year, but they have the potential to do so. I don't see a dropoff this year.

They can win 10-11 games b/c of his play. We can win 10-11 games despite our QB play. That is a big difference when you talk about overall talent. If you were to line the 2 rosters up side by side how many Chargers would start on the Bills (besides for him). 5 or so? I think that the same can probably be said for Houston and the Jets are getting there too. He can win 10-11 games with his current team but not a Super Bowl. In those other places (especially Buffalo or Houston) they are instant Super Bowl contenders with Rivers.

They can win 10-11 games b/c of his play. We can win 10-11 games despite our QB play. That is a big difference when you talk about overall talent. If you were to line the 2 rosters up side by side how many Chargers would start on the Bills (besides for him). 5 or so? I think that the same can probably be said for Houston and the Jets are getting there too. He can win 10-11 games with his current team but not a Super Bowl. In those other places (especially Buffalo or Houston) they are instant Super Bowl contenders with Rivers.

I'll be curious to see how much having a truly good RB (which I think Gordon is) will alter their chances. When Tomlinson was good, they were a 13-14 win team on occasion. Their loss to the Pats in the 2006 playoffs was in my opinion even more inexplicable and exasperating than the Raiders' loss to the Pats in January 2002. The Chargers dominated that game. Also, their current defense is good enough.

He's been on a lot of good teams "chasing a championship" and came up empty time after time. He had a top 5 offense (points) for his first 6 seasons (they were also a top 5 offense the three seasons before him under Brees). He's had a top 10 D for 3 of the lat 4 years, yet his team is 42-38 the last 5 years. He's 4-5 in playoff games.

He will struggle to get into the HOF

He's been on a lot of good teams "chasing a championship" and came up empty time after time. He had a top 5 offense (points) for his first 6 seasons (they were also a top 5 offense the three seasons before him under Brees). He's had a top 10 D for 3 of the lat 4 years, yet his team is 42-38 the last 5 years. He's 4-5 in playoff games.

He will struggle to get into the HOF

Nate Kaeding though.

• 1 month later...

In the offseason, Phillip Rivers stated he wants to be on a team that has a shot at a championship and doesn't feel that the Chargers will be that team. Has there been any news if Rivers is asking for a trade or is wanting out of SD? I've heard the Bills reporters mention in passing that the Bills are done in free agency/trades this season, unless it's for Rivers.