[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that whole "house shopping" thing was a pretty transparent ploy to drive up his price. Why the heck would you go house shopping under the transition tag lol? So silly.

I think Cleveland is a more likely destination than us -- they have much more cap space to work with.

Slowing it down some, maybe Clay is taking these offers back to Miami to see if they will match the overall money. Then, if they are willing to, they can work out a cap friendly contract worth what the other teams are offering. If Miami balks at the contract value, then he signs with the team he wants and Miami let's him go. It's not like he's trying to get out of Miami and is desperate. He probably just wants a long term deal first and foremost.

Edited by BrooklynBills

I gotta say that Miami is playing this perfectly.

Not sure why more teams don't use this same tag.

Because all it takes is one team desperate enough to put forward a huge offer sheet for that player to !@#$ your plans up. Imagine Dez Bryant getting a 15+ million dollar offer from the Redskins and the Cowboys having to match or else get nothing.

i may have missed it, not sure if it has been covered, not sure if it is even pertinent, but couldnt miami match the bills offer, then trade clay to buffalo for a pick.. ? i am not flush on these rules.. just wondering.

They can but doubtful Bills would accept

I believe he is, for one year at $7 million...

Nope, he was tagged but hasn't signed it

I saw this on Wikipedia on the Transition Tag page, which appears to be a bit out of date;

If a player signs a contract after receiving the transition tag, his original team can not use the tag again on any player until the contract has expired.

Does anyone know if that clause is still a part of the Transition Tag after the last CBA?

Because all it takes is one team desperate enough to put forward a huge offer sheet for that player to !@#$ your plans up. Imagine Dez Bryant getting a 15+ million dollar offer from the Redskins and the Cowboys having to match or else get nothing.

I suppose. But the alternative that we often elect is just letting the guy walk. Plus, the tag seems to be a deterrent for other teams.

I wonder if we had T tagged Byrd, we would have matched the saints deal.

I suppose. But the alternative that we often elect is just letting the guy walk. Plus, the tag seems to be a deterrent for other teams.

I wonder if we had T tagged Byrd, we would have matched the saints deal.

for him it wouldnt have mattered as we signed a bunch, but by restricting his free agency i think he no longer counts as a loss for miami in comp picks.... if so, it could cost them a 3 or 4 next year, potentially?

It is amazing to me how the Bills Brass hasn't realized the BS that is being pulled and moved onto Jermaine Gresham before its too late.

Gresham blows, that's why

Why is everyone getting pissed at Clay?...he has 3 teams that want him and he's trying to get the best deal. Plus as far as anyone knows...he has yet to receive a contract offer from the Bills or Browns

Of course he is but that doesn't change the fact that you can make it difficult. If you presented him with a 4 year $32M deal with $20M guaranteed what would he do?

but what if the Bills don't want to guarantee that much money?