[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

It's a game of chicken. Clay wants a lot of money. Dolphins are still dining Cameron who is still there. Browns are waiting to see what Bills do. I'm not sure exactly what is going on but I know it's a lot of high stakes gamesmanship between three teams and a player and agent. I still like our chances

What stinks is that if the bills creatively structure a deal that can't be matched, then clay's age t can basically shop the same deal to the Browns and others.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Kryk retweeted

Doug Whaley on Charles Clay: He's such a special player, we're at the point now where we're debating making an offer. #Bills #Dolphins

Vic Carucci @viccarucci 24s24 seconds ago

The #Bills still deciding whether to submit offer sheet to Charles Clay, GM Doug Whaley just told @siriusxmnfl

WTF you keep the guy here two days and you're "still debating"? Does..not..compute

Gents they are clearly interested, and have a plan. Any statements made by DW on the radio do not necessarily reflect reality. It is also a very fluid situation. If the make an offer they have to wait 5 or 7 days. That means there is 5-7 days where the team is in limbo while other players are available and other trade offers come up. The Eagles guard in particular. Long and short of it is, that we need to have faith in our front office and be patient.

What stinks is that if the bills creatively structure a deal that can't be matched, then clay's age t can basically shop the same deal to the Browns and others.

Sure but that was always the case and the agent's job. He probably also told the Bills they will have a chance to beat the Browns offer, too.

Gents they are clearly interested, and have a plan. Any statements made by DW on the radio do not necessarily reflect reality. It is also a very fluid situation. If the make an offer they have to wait 5 or 7 days. That means there is 5-7 days where the team is in limbo while other players are available and other trade offers come up. The Eagles guard in particular. Long and short of it is, that we need to have faith in our front office and be patient.

Exactly. Especially the bold part.

Sure but that was always the case and the agent's job. He probably also told the Bills they will have a chance to beat the Browns offer, too.

Exactly. Especially the bold part.

Maybe that's already occurred and that's what Whaley and Co. are now debating?

GO BILLS!!!

This is as clear as mud. My head hurts! I don't get Whaley saying they are debating whether to offer Clay. Why? What was the point of having him in for 2 days? What changed?

Cleveland's offer perhaps?

GO BILLS!!!

Now this part I understand. It would basically tie our hands from any trades or FA that come up for 5 business days from whenever Clay signs.

Cleveland's offer perhaps?

GO BILLS!!!

Possible. What's hard to believe is that the Bills are not going to give him a contract offer regardless of the Browns offer. The Bills have a lot of stuff to offer, and so do the Browns. Clay and his agent would be dumb to not consider all factors and all final offers before signing one. The Bills always knew about the Browns but they didn't know how serious they were about the offer. Maybe the agent is just using the browns against the Bills knowing Clay wants to sign here but wanting the most he can get. Maybe the idea of being the focal point of the offense more, and getting the ball more, which he would in Cleve is enough to make him seriously consider both offers equally.

Now this part I understand. It would basically tie our hands from any trades or FA that come up for 5 business days from whenever Clay signs.

That is the risk, yes. But if we wanted to get 6m to get a guy who just comes on the market or we really want, we can easily do so. It won't be completely painless but fairly easy. We could restructure Mario in a second.

i may have missed it, not sure if it has been covered, not sure if it is even pertinent, but couldnt miami match the bills offer, then trade clay to buffalo for a pick.. ? i am not flush on these rules.. just wondering.

I suppose that they could, but if that was their plan, they'd just trade him to Buffalo now.

Possible. What's hard to believe is that the Bills are not going to give him a contract offer regardless of the Browns offer. The Bills have a lot of stuff to offer, and so do the Browns. Clay and his agent would be dumb to not consider all factors and all final offers before signing one. The Bills always knew about the Browns but they didn't know how serious they were about the offer. Maybe the agent is just using the browns against the Bills knowing Clay wants to sign here but wanting the most he can get. Maybe the idea of being the focal point of the offense more, and getting the ball more, which he would in Cleve is enough to make him seriously consider both offers equally.

I'm wondering if the Bills sensed he wanted to go back to Miami, and he was using them and Cleveland to drive up the price back home.

This is as clear as mud. My head hurts! I don't get Whaley saying they are debating whether to offer Clay. Why? What was the point of having him in for 2 days? What changed?

probably the amount of money that is needed to secure his services has gone up more then what they set the price at.

oh well.. we're not going to overpay for the hell of it. We have a number in mind and its probably gone up above that number and now they are rethinking it

Edited by ddaryl

Yes, because I don't post everyday my opinion is not as important as yours. My point is that if he is so versatile and such an awesome weapon, then why hasn't he put up very good stats?

Because only looking at stats is a bad way to evaluate a player. I don't know how to say it any simpler than that.