SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to be mad if we sign him but would rather make better signing our own dudes and effienctly finding an OG.

no. Will: Alonso, Jack: Broown. Mikke: Spikes or ? Sam: Bradham.

If we move 34 then Alonso stays at MLB with Preston. Lawson and Hughes (if he re-signs) kicks out at OLB. Where's the depth at MLB?

I'd rather have Boling at $4.5M per than Iupati for $8.5M per

I am guessing that spread will be closer. Need will raise Boling up closer to $6M and injury/size concern will bring Iupati down closer to $7M.

Depending on what scheme you run Boling might be better either way. His build is more athletic, though I notice that Roman had Iupati pull quite a bit and he just engulfs blockers.

He definitely needs to considered. Besides QB, OG is the biggest hole on this entire team. They need not 1 but 2 starting OG's. Iupati is a big, mauling OG that is very good. If they bring in Roman, then that could make it even more likely since he coached him in SF. Money really isn't an issue in my eyes with Pagula's deep pockets running the show- I hope they spend every penny to the cap that is allowed.

They need to sign a couple OG's so bringing in one of the best young OG's in Iupati would be a good move. They are short on draft picks so FA will be major part of the plan. Getting him would really take the pressure off of having to use our top pick on a OG. They could go BPA with the 50th overall pick & then probably find a top 3 OG in the 3rd round to man the other OG spot.

I am guessing that spread will be closer. Need will raise Boling up closer to $6M and injury/size concern will bring Iupati down closer to $7M.

Depending on what scheme you run Boling might be better either way. His build is more athletic, though I notice that Roman had Iupati pull quite a bit and he just engulfs blockers.

Could be...I just assumed that there'd be a "slotting" of sorts with Iupati at 8ish, Orlando Franklin at 7ish, Jahri Evans (if cut as presumed) at 6ish, Boling at 5ish, etc

Nevertheless I agree about Boling either way.

Sure he's pricey; he's one of the best run blocking guards in the league and in his prime.

Are we not tens of millions under the cap thanks to past ownership?

We better be spending like a drunken sailor on shore leave in Bangkok this off-season on anything and everything that will make us better.

Edited by Stopthepain

I really think the Bills are going to try to use the guys they have already. Another year and maybe Kujo and Cyril are ready. Let's see what a new and hopefully more competent staff can do with the talent here.

They want to win now. They might continue to develop the kids but I would be very surprised if they don't bring in veterans to play in the interim. They cannot make the same mistake they did going into the last two seasons Edited by JM57

Not going to be mad if we sign him but would rather make better signing our own dudes and effienctly finding an OG.

no. Will: Alonso, Jack: Broown. Mikke: Spikes or ? Sam: Bradham.

If we move 34 then Alonso stays at MLB with Preston. Lawson and Hughes (if he re-signs) kicks out at OLB. Where's the depth at MLB?

who is going to cover TE's?

I'd rather Alonso at Will.

One of our current DEs gets his position changed in print to OLB, then we have Bradham and Brown inside, and Alonso at the other OLB. The same way we ran (basically) Rex's 3-4 Defense 2 years ago when Pettine was here. Agreed we need some depth, so hopefully we can sign Spikes cheap. Otherwise, I trust Whaley to find some depth late in the draft or in FA. Dude has a nose for LBs, thats for sure.

One of our current DEs gets his position changed in print to OLB, then we have Bradham and Brown inside, and Alonso at the other OLB. The same way we ran (basically) Rex's 3-4 Defense 2 years ago when Pettine was here. Agreed we need some depth, so hopefully we can sign Spikes cheap. Otherwise, I trust Whaley to find some depth late in the draft or in FA. Dude has a nose for LBs, thats for sure.

In many situations, yes. I also remind everyone that Manny Lawson played WLB in a 43 very successfully. If he can return to that then moving Kiko to Jack would be an option but I think it is better to go ahead and move Kiko to the outside where he will impact the game much more successfully, like C Bennett did. Our D could be very much like the 90's.

As long as the Pegulas don't feel the same way. If the guard is really good, pay him.

I've never understood why fans are so concerned about the money in contracts. Pegula has billions, the NFL is a money making machine, just spend on the right players. I don't care how much.

Not sure if you've followed football in the last decade or two, but there's a salary cap in place.

Draft all O lineman and sign/trade for a decent Vet QB this season and there should be no excuses to miss the playoffs this year

I think there was definitely a problem with how our OL shaped up this season. Our tackles regressed, Center was average and guards were horrible. Was this due to scheme ? The rookies never got a chance other than RT. I would like to have our new staff evaluate them before going OL heavy in the draft. I would like them to get a super good TE with that 2nd round pick.

Not sure if you've followed football in the last decade or two, but there's a salary cap in place.

I'm well aware of the cap, wise ass. The teams are also aware. Still seems stupid for the fans to sit and question how much is too much to spend on a player when they have no clue as to what the overall plan of the team is, salary wise, and personnel wise.

And the poster just said he didn't want to pay much for a guard, no mention of salary cap.

Edited by klos63

No thanks. He'll want a boat load of money and with all the players the Bills need to resign I'd rather they spent the money there. Guards, good ones, can be found all over the draft.

Oh really? We seem to be unable to find any in two years and that includes drafting 3 offensive linemen last year.

I posted about Lupati twice already. He is the real deal and we need to get the guy here. Let Hughes walk, he's another Byrd, good player but not irreplaceable. Spend the money on the big fella's. Lupati this year and signing Dareus late next season.

If Rex brings in Greg Roman from the niners, Greg will insist on it after watching our line collapse so frequently on our qb's blindside.