SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

I think they will let Pears, Rivers, Lawson, and Spikes walk. That frees up another $10 mil., and they are projected to have $17 m available in cap space prior to those moves. They'll need to sign Searcy, Bryant, Wynn, Easely, Hogan, and Hairston. That'll probably cost them around $4mil above their current salaries. Hughes has a $4mil hit this year, so what will it take to sign him? Another $5mil? That leaves a lot of space to sign some other FAs. I assume Iupati would cost about $7-8 mil?

Agreed on your points, but don't bE surprised if they keep Lawson for depth at a low contract. Searcy is not until next year unless they want to get him early. I doubt it as the cap in 2016 goes up so they'll have more money to retain him. Lupati is doable along with another $4 mil for Hughes on top of his current $4 mil.

What would be nice is at least one of the top TE's out there, and we'll probably end up with Sanchez even though i still have outside hope we work out a trade for Foles.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iupati will cost too much money and I am not convinced he is the best guard available anyway. The best run blocker without doubt, and he will get the best FA pay day, but I prefer Boling as an all round guard and I think you might get him for $1million a year less.

This is kind of how I feel. I would rather Boling at about $5M than Iupati at $8M.

Isn't Boling expected to be re-signed in Cincinnati?

YeahI read they really want to keep him and work out a long term deal, and he wants to stay. They got him in the 4th round in 2011 (we liked cement shoes Sheppard better than Boling in that draft) and he likes it there.

Boling and Lupati wont be tagged, so that's the good news. The way I understand it, there isn't a franchise tag specifically for guards, its for the general offensive line position which includes tackles. A tag on a guard would mean $10M + because there are some left tackles getting that kind of cash. The highest paid guard is Mankins at $8.5m.

Let Hughes and all his penalties go, sign Lupati and watch Wynn and Lawson have a lot of fun next year in Rex's D. Draft a 21 year old running back and let Roman run his smashmouth with Glenn, Lupati, Wood, Incognito and Henderson upfront. That would be the biggest baddest Oline we've seen in a long long time.

You know our qb is going to be mediocre at best, but he sure would have an easier time with a great ground game and time to throw the ball.

Pardon my lack of knowledge of these Guards... But if Boling is a better G than Iupati then why would he be 5 mill/yr vs 8/yr for Iupati?

Iupati is the better player with the better resume. Boling is a good starter, Iupati is a Pro Bowler. For me it comes down to the $ to chase other positions. I would be fine getting another solid starter and using that extra $3M on someone like Mark Ingram for example.

Position differential is a huge factor here...identify the guy at the bottom of the top tier of players, sign him to a value deal. If your analytics say there is a drop off after the top x amount of guys, collect the guy at the bottom of that x for less.

Run the analytics, sign the best value guy, and keep the leftover coin for other needs, whether that is retaining your own or spending on Revis or AP once they get released.

That does not mean sign the cheapest guy, it means sign the last of the top tier guys. The guy that grades before the dropoff occurs.

Edited by Thurmal34

Pardon my lack of knowledge of these Guards... But if Boling is a better G than Iupati then why would he be 5 mill/yr vs 8/yr for Iupati?

I'm not sure he is better, I wasn't properly clear in my original post.... I think he is more well rounded. Iupati is a superb run blocker he busts holes in D-lines consistently and creates running lanes for backs although he didn't play quite as well this year as in years past (a bit like Cordy Glenn here I think he was hampered by substandard line play in some positions around him). He is the biggest "name" in this FA Guard field and he will get $8million. Iupati does, however, have a weakness in pass protection especially when anyone that isn't a hand in the dirt defensive tackle becomes his responsibility. I'd say he is an average pass protector but one of the most dominant run blockers in the league.

With Boling you don't quite get the same dominance in the run game, although you do get slightly better mobility in respect of his pass blocking. I'd be surprised if you get Boling for $5million though. I'd have thought given the paucity of high level guard talent in the NFL he could make $6.5million a year or somwhere thereabouts quite easily. It may be that he is willing to take a hometown discount to stay with the Bengals though and if he does that would take him out of the equation. I think Orlando Franklin is probably the third guy I'd have at the top of that list, however, he only moved inside to guard this year and given that he can still play tackle he might promote himself as a free agent at tackle to try and generate a bigger pay check. I think Franklin is probably closer to Iupati in terms of $$$ than Boling.

After those three there is a drop off to James Carpenter from Seattle and Dan Connolly from New England for me, with Carpenter having an obvious advantage being a fair bit younger. I think you are looking at $4-5million a year for Carpenter. Then you start to get to guys like Rob Sims who struggled this year with the Lions and John Jerry who is Incognito's old running mate and would probably be best steared clear of on that basis.

I'm not sure he is better, I wasn't properly clear in my original post.... I think he is more well rounded. Iupati is a superb run blocker he busts holes in D-lines consistently and creates running lanes for backs although he didn't play quite as well this year as in years past (a bit like Cordy Glenn here I think he was hampered by substandard line play in some positions around him). He is the biggest "name" in this FA Guard field and he will get $8million. Iupati does, however, have a weakness in pass protection especially when anyone that isn't a hand in the dirt defensive tackle becomes his responsibility. I'd say he is an average pass protector but one of the most dominant run blockers in the league.

With Boling you don't quite get the same dominance in the run game, although you do get slightly better mobility in respect of his pass blocking. I'd be surprised if you get Boling for $5million though. I'd have thought given the paucity of high level guard talent in the NFL he could make $6.5million a year or somwhere thereabouts quite easily. It may be that he is willing to take a hometown discount to stay with the Bengals though and if he does that would take him out of the equation. I think Orlando Franklin is probably the third guy I'd have at the top of that list, however, he only moved inside to guard this year and given that he can still play tackle he might promote himself as a free agent at tackle to try and generate a bigger pay check. I think Franklin is probably closer to Iupati in terms of $$$ than Boling.

After those three there is a drop off to James Carpenter from Seattle and Dan Connolly from New England for me, with Carpenter having an obvious advantage being a fair bit younger. I think you are looking at $4-5million a year for Carpenter. Then you start to get to guys like Rob Sims who struggled this year with the Lions and John Jerry who is Incognito's old running mate and would probably be best steared clear of on that basis.

cool. Id rather get a nice upgrade at G, but not sink so much into a guy like Iupati. If he gets hurt, which he has been in the past, it "hurts" even more no pun intended. I don't think Whaley will.

YeahI read they really want to keep him and work out a long term deal, and he wants to stay. They got him in the 4th round in 2011 (we liked cement shoes Sheppard better than Boling in that draft) and he likes it there.

Boling and Lupati wont be tagged, so that's the good news. The way I understand it, there isn't a franchise tag specifically for guards, its for the general offensive line position which includes tackles. A tag on a guard would mean $10M + because there are some left tackles getting that kind of cash. The highest paid guard is Mankins at $8.5m.

Let Hughes and all his penalties go, sign Lupati and watch Wynn and Lawson have a lot of fun next year in Rex's D. Draft a 21 year old running back and let Roman run his smashmouth with Glenn, Lupati, Wood, Incognito and Henderson upfront. That would be the biggest baddest Oline we've seen in a long long time.

You know our qb is going to be mediocre at best, but he sure would have an easier time with a great ground game and time to throw the ball.

Totally agree with this but i want a QB that is serviceable vs. mediocre

• 3 weeks later...

I want Hughes back and we have to sign Dareus next yr and dont forget there will be a lot of available qb's next yr too. I think putting a lot of money into a Guard is not smart. There are cheaper options in FA and the draft.

I want Hughes back and we have to sign Dareus next yr and dont forget there will be a lot of available qb's next yr too. I think putting a lot of money into a Guard is not smart. There are cheaper options in FA and the draft.

Hughes can only come back if HE wants to, and it looks like he wants to test FA. Edited by Beef Jerky

Roman has had a lineman make the probowl

Hughes can only come back if HE wants to, and it looks like he wants to test FA.

From the other thread it sounds like Hughes will be getting more money elsewhere. Bummer, 10 sacks per year is hard to replace. We have been spoiled the last 2 yrs

Cap went up $10 million this year. That more than covers Dareus with another jump. He already takes up $8 million.