SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One good thing is that Ryan knows what the Bills offensive weaknesses are as well as anyone.

I think O-lineman will be in demand this off season after the Cowboys had so much success with a dominant O-line. It will be the big focus of many teams both in free agency, and the draft.

Haha....two guys would love it if we signed "Lupati"...

The off-season rules.

Iupati is a very good guard when healthy; he's going to be vastly over-valued on the FA market, and $8.5M/year is stupid money for a guard.

If Buffalo signs him, I won't be upset with the player acquisition, but I will feel that it's money poorly spent when guys like Hughes, Searcy, Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore need new deals.

The off-season rules.

Iupati is a very good guard when healthy; he's going to be vastly over-valued on the FA market, and $8.5M/year is stupid money for a guard.

If Buffalo signs him, I won't be upset with the player acquisition, but I will feel that it's money poorly spent when guys like Hughes, Searcy, Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore need new deals.

I agree. Stop the FA madness and sign your own. This is a new era for Bills football so let's get it going the right way. Hold the scouting department accountable but don't blow the big money in free agency, spend it on your guys. God forbid we pay market price to resign our own players.

The off-season rules.

In the past 4 years, the high ticket FA guards have amounted to very little and one of them is out of the league now. I just don't get the idea of paying stupid money for a guard when the drop off from the next level is so minimal.

I agree. Stop the FA madness and sign your own. This is a new era for Bills football so let's get it going the right way. Hold the scouting department accountable but don't blow the big money in free agency, spend it on your guys. God forbid we pay market price to resign our own players.

Kyle, Freddy, Leodis, Stevie, Eric Wood, Aaron Williams are all players we extended with fair contracts over the last few years. The difference between them and Levitre/Byrd is that those players were willing to re-sign and didnt care about testing the market. It takes two to tango. Given the new FOs track record, and the reports that they are working on an extension for Bradham, Im sure they've already tried to extend Searcy, Hughes, etc. Hopefully we can land a couple of them before FA gets too crazy. But if we dont, I wont "blame" Whaley for it.

In the past 4 years, the high ticket FA guards have amounted to very little and one of them is out of the league now. I just don't get the idea of paying stupid money for a guard when the drop off from the next level is so minimal.

Agreed. We learned this lesson already ourselves with Dockery. Im all for bringing in Guard help, if there is value in the signing.

Holy moly I hope you're wildly inaccurate.

I think we will find out more and more how bad Marrone was as a coach. How in over his head he was and his micro management style was not conducive for younger guys who needed time and growth. Marrone couldn't spend enough time with the kids developing them.

Whaley drafted those kids last year. It is difficult for any olinemen to step right in and be successful from college to pro. There is a learning curve.

I would not be surprised to see one of the guys besides Sentrel step up and be a starter.

Kyle, Freddy, Leodis, Stevie, Eric Wood, Aaron Williams are all players we extended with fair contracts over the last few years. The difference between them and Levitre/Byrd is that those players were willing to re-sign and didnt care about testing the market. It takes two to tango. Given the new FOs track record, and the reports that they are working on an extension for Bradham, Im sure they've already tried to extend Searcy, Hughes, etc. Hopefully we can land a couple of them before FA gets too crazy. But if we dont, I wont "blame" Whaley for it.

Agreed. We learned this lesson already ourselves with Dockery. Im all for bringing in Guard help, if there is value in the signing.

But you use the term "fair". Was the Mario Williams contract "fair"? It was market value on the high end because we were competing with other teams. My point is we can pay some of these guys on the non-hometown discount side of things instead of having to sign the top fa at a position. Not every single one, but the top dollar spend can be directed toward our guys instead of the position du jour.

I'm all for filling gaps with a middle to low fa or two but I think that means Mr Pegula will have to create one of the best scouting departments in the league. I am hopeful that will be the biggest changes that we will see.

I think we will find out more and more how bad Marrone was as a coach. How in over his head he was and his micro management style was not conducive for younger guys who needed time and growth. Marrone couldn't spend enough time with the kids developing them.

Whaley drafted those kids last year. It is difficult for any olinemen to step right in and be successful from college to pro. There is a learning curve.

I would not be surprised to see one of the guys besides Sentrel step up and be a starter.

Sure, but that's a bit different than going forward with who we have now and now bringing in any FAs

One good thing is that Ryan knows what the Bills offensive weaknesses are as well as anyone.

This. Rex is a good hire because he knows the AFC East (including the Bills) better than any other coaching option out there.

Even with our defense, we were his 3rd choice for a reason...but daddy oilbucks soothed all that.

And on top of that...we get rid of a red-shirt Junior Varsity OC. Switching to a varsity OC will be worth at least a field goal to 5 points per game...regardless who's at QB.

And oh yeah...get the best 2 guards FA can offer...they play a LOT more downs than any D-Lineman does and we will maul our way to victory running the ball at will.

This commentator says there are two free gent guards to get then a dropoff.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2015G.php

Good thing the Bills only need 2 guards...and one knows Roman.

Fire up the machine Doug.

I think I'd include Boling in the top tier--he's very, very good (bonus: he played with Cordy at Georgia).

Also, NO James Carpenter...that guy is horrendous and doesn't belong on the field.