SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

I think smart teams don't want to spend big money on a G. I think MI is legit and the type of tough G Rex would love. But I jsut don't think it is wise to spend that much on that position. I won't mind it because I like the player a lot but I don't know if it would be the wisest move long term.

I'm guessing they'll let him walk...they have big money committed to Staley and Davis, and they basically have to choose between Iupati and Alex Boone (who's an UFA after this season). They did, however, think ahead on this one, as they wisely spent a 4th round pick on Brandon Thomas of Clemson in 2014; a guy that would likely have been a 2nd rounder had he not torn his ACL in pre-draft workouts. Thomas was a very good LT at Clemson, but is built like a guard at 6'3" and 320 lbs. I have a feeling they have him earmarked for the LG spot.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing they'll let him walk...they have big money committed to Staley and Davis, and they basically have to choose between Iupati and Alex Boone (who's an UFA after this season). They did, however, think ahead on this one, as they wisely spent a 4th round pick on Brandon Thomas of Clemson in 2014; a guy that would likely have been a 2nd rounder had he not torn his ACL in pre-draft workouts. Thomas was a very good LT at Clemson, but is built like a guard at 6'3" and 320 lbs. I have a feeling they have him earmarked for the LG spot.

Iupati has played on a really good OL, isn't that great at pass pro and has injury concerns. I know he's a great run blocker but I wonder if the Bills might get more bang for buck with a guy like Stefen Wisniewski from the Raiders. He's played on some pretty bad lines and still performed well and can play G or C. No injuries of note. That said, the Raiders have uber cap space and will probably try to re-sign him. Edited by YoloinOhio

Iupati has played on a really good OL, isn't that great at pass pro and has injury concerns. I know he's a great run blocker but I wonder if the Bills might get more bang for buck with a guy like Stefen Wisniewski from the Raiders. He's played on some pretty bad lines and still performed well and can play G or C. No injuries of note. That said, the Raiders have uber cap space and will probably try to re-sign him.

I agree on Iupati. I also agree that I don't see Wisniewski leaving Oakland.

My guy is still Boling.

I agree on Iupati. I also agree that I don't see Wisniewski leaving Oakland.

My guy is still Boling.

We are committed to improving the line, but with value in mind. I agree that Boling is our most likely target for performance and value. Iupati is dominant in only one dimension and keeps getting hurt.

We are committed to improving the line, but with value in mind. I agree that Boling is our most likely target for performance and value. Iupati is dominant in only one dimension and keeps getting hurt.

see, i believe that several other teams are going to explore Boling as the value option and inflate his price. I'd rather just pay for the elite player.

see, i believe that several other teams are going to explore Boling as the value option and inflate his price. I'd rather just pay for the elite player.

I have thought about this, but I still think it'll be much less than the Iupati camp is looking for. We'll see how it plays out. Since we are going for ground and pound, Iupati could be our guy, provided we're confident we have the space to lock up other important players (Hughes, Dareus). I can't see them signing Iupati at the expense of those guys.

Iupati is an excellent guard. Unfortunately the teams who sign excellent guards to extravagant FA contracts often end up with buyers remorse. Guard is not a position you want to sink 8+ million a season into for just one guy

There was a thread recently where somebody linked a site that projected some of the FA contracts......and Iupati strangely was predicted to be around $6.5M/year(from memory).

Even if he costs around the $8M/year mark, I see no reason why we won't try to sign him if we actually want him. Last season we paid Pears $3.5M to play guard and C.Williams $2.4M.....that's around $6M for horrible OG production. Williams is due to cost $3.4M this season(will save $0.7M if we cut him).

For a few million more than last season we could have a true multi-probowl level OG rather than worst in the league. That seems to be very good value to me.