Bills, McCoy agree on new 5-yr contract

@MMehtaNYDN: Sources: Jets want to re-sign RB Bilal Powell, but think he's leaning toward a Rex Reunion in Buffalo #nyj http://t.co/sDwqEyhNtX

Why?

Isn't Powell a bigger, more physical style back than shady? If so, that makes sense for the ground and pound. McCoy as your dynamic feature guy and Powell as your change up RB. That would make sense. If I recall from Jests games, Powell rarely gets taken down on initial contact.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Powell a bigger, more physical style back than shady? If so, that makes sense for the ground and pound. McCoy as your dynamic feature guy and Powell as your change up RB. That would make sense. If I recall from Jests games, Powell rarely gets taken down on initial contact.

Boobie can do that and we need him for ST. I see no room for Powell. But who knows.

Powell is extremely average. Not an upgrade over boobie or fred

@mikerodak: Fred Jackson told me last week that he wants to play 3 more years. If the Bills add McCoy and Powell, I question if those 3 years are in BUF

Powell is extremely average. Not an upgrade over boobie or fred

@mikerodak: Fred Jackson told me last week that he wants to play 3 more years. If the Bills add McCoy and Powell, I question if those 3 years are in BUF

Freddy can want all he wants.... 3 years puts him at 37 at retirement essentially. Not happening.

I don't know, I'd doubt there would be a statement made like that without knowing a good likelihood this may happen

As the saying goes, where there's smoke, there's fire!

Yep, I've been wrong before.

Somewhere out there......

Terry Pegula has his shovel and is digging another oil well on one of his properties.......Kim sits in the shade drinking a tall glass of lemonade and pooring a nice glass of "shut the @uck up for Jason Lancantoria"

"Were rich Jason.....we can do whatever we want....WHATEVER WE WANT!"

This is beautiful

It still amazes me that money can be not guaranteed and still count against your cap. Only in the NFL does that math make sense. I like the restructured deal. If I have the pre/post restructure numbers right, we cleared up $5 mil in cap room. Is that correct?

It still amazes me that money can be not guaranteed and still count against your cap. Only in the NFL does that math make sense. I like the restructured deal. If I have the pre/post restructure numbers right, we cleared up $5 mil in cap room. Is that correct?

I think you just don't understand the cap convo - no offense meant

Yes it is. Not sure the problem you are having. The only non guaranteed money against your cap is this particular year's salary and stuff like roster bonuses. That should obviously count against your cap because it's for this year. And if you release the guy it goes away.

Why would you cut a guy who is better than the guy youre bringing in? Freddie is the 2nd best back on this roster and a leader, makes no sense to cut him. Then again I think it makes no sense to be looking at Powell at all. Backs shouod be set, spend money on another area of the team instead if bringing in Rex retreads.

Freddy can want all he wants.... 3 years puts him at 37 at retirement essentially. Not happening.

Agreed on this

I dont think there are many here that DONT love Fred Jackson what he has done for this team and even what he can do for this team in a backup role to Shady this year........

Fred...this really is all for your benefit...you DESERVE to play in the playoffs for all of your contributions to this team.......but lets face it......hurt EVERY year.....your long in the tooth......

Would love to see a front office position offered to Fred when this is all said and done

I think you just don't understand the cap convo - no offense meant

I will be the first one to admit that I dont understand it.....but it sure sounds good the way its being explained here

Ultimately the cash structure or guarantees mean little. They traded kiko pretty much 100% promising they were keeping him at 3years 26m (ie identical at the close of year 3). All they did was tack on a couple years at the same average pay and reformat money he was already getting to suit their cap plans better

We freed up $4.75M this year but lost a TON of flexibility. We're taking a cap increase of about $1.5M over the next 2 years, then eating another $5.2M the last 2 years even if he is gone. He's here for 3 years no matter what, possibly 4, no way in hell 5. We gave up way too much for a player still under contract with virtually no guaranteed money left.

Great news that finally puts to the rest the rampant, unwarranted speculation that Shady did not want to be here & wasn't going to report.

The Bills now have the NFL's leading rusher over the past 5 years locked up thru the prime of his career. On top of that, they manage to lessen his salary cap number to 5.6 million which is a steal for a player of McCoy's caliber. The kid is going to be the centerpiece of this offense & is going to drastically improve it.

I have to get props to Whaley on this one. Getting one the best RBs in the league for a spare part, who is coming off a non contact ACL tear, to your already top 5 defense is a major coup. He also did not have to spend one of their very valuable draft picks. Whaley has proven he can find top notch talent in the 2nd & 3rd rounds so it was key they held onto that 2nd

We freed up $4.75M this year but lost a TON of flexibility. We're taking a cap increase of about $1.5M over the next 2 years, then eating another $5.2M the last 2 years even if he is gone. He's here for 3 years no matter what, possibly 4, no way in hell 5. We gave up way too much for a player still under contract with virtually no guaranteed money left.

He was here for 3 anyway. You really think we were cutting him after two? We essentially made a 3 year deal into a 4. If he's healthy at 4 we have him for 5 but can hop out pain free if needed (likely course)

That's not correct. Bills still have a ton of cap space this year