Bills, McCoy agree on new 5-yr contract

We freed up $4.75M this year but lost a TON of flexibility. We're taking a cap increase of about $1.5M over the next 2 years, then eating another $5.2M the last 2 years even if he is gone. He's here for 3 years no matter what, possibly 4, no way in hell 5. We gave up way too much for a player still under contract with virtually no guaranteed money left.

Having Daddy Warbucks makes most of those troubles go away. Yes, we are going to be having cap issues from now on. But that is because we are going to be spending so much. They did what they did because they want to get better now. And that means getting Hughes back and Clay and a guard. At least. 5m in four years off the cap in dead money if he is cut with be a paper cut.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having Daddy Warbucks makes most of those troubles go away. Yes, we are going to be having cap issues from now on. But that is because we are going to be spending so much. They did what they did because they want to get better now. And that means getting Hughes back and Clay and a guard. At least. 5m in four years off the cap in dead money if he is cut with be a paper cut.

I thought Clay signed an extension with Miami already?

We freed up $4.75M this year but lost a TON of flexibility. We're taking a cap increase of about $1.5M over the next 2 years, then eating another $5.2M the last 2 years even if he is gone. He's here for 3 years no matter what, possibly 4, no way in hell 5. We gave up way too much for a player still under contract with virtually no guaranteed money left.

The cap is reportedly going up another $10-$15 million next year, plus Mario can still restructure. what's the problem? His dead cap numbers aren't horrible if he's not in Buffalo after year 3 especially with how much the cap is rising. Gave up way too much? The Bills rarely spend to the cap, i think this is new territory for some fans and it makes them uneasy.

He was here for 3 anyway. You really think we were cutting him after two? We essentially made a 3 year deal into a 4. If he's healthy at 4 we have him for 5 but can hop out pain free if needed (likely course)

No, I did not. There are always other factors such as injuries. We essentially guaranteed his last contract for ~$5M cap relief this year. Again, he really didn't have any bargaining chips at the table.

That's not correct. Bills still have a ton of cap space this year

Future flexibility in regards to his contract.

In case you have not noticed it......we are biulding a team to win now and not later.

Love Fred, but if I'm the Bills, I dont extend him unless he can show value on the field. I really want him to stay with the organization in some way though.

They dont have to extend him. He got a 4 year extension last season. That means, by the time that contract is up, he'd be 37... At that point, no, they shouldnt extend him. The question is if they cut him.

This is the first Pegula-bucks Bills deal, similar to the Ehrhoff deal for the Sabres. The cap rules are a bit different between the two leagues but in both cases it's basically huge upfront cash in exchange for lower overall cap hit.

It is disappointing to see how many people do not comprehend that real cash payout does not matter anymore under Pegula. Cap hit is the only thing that matters, and we just gained a ton of it. Not to mention we immediately assuaged Shady's reservations about coming here. Excellent move, Doug.

Yes it is. Not sure the problem you are having. The only non guaranteed money against your cap is this particular year's salary and stuff like roster bonuses. That should obviously count against your cap because it's for this year. And if you release the guy it goes away.

yeah, I think I understand that part. But aren't there benchmark dates? So for a vet, it's first day of the season. For a non vet, some specific week into the season? It just seems like paper facts until you actually keep the guy past your benchmark date. Also if you cut a guy, doesn't the balance of upfront money accelerate and hit your cap the year in question? Whereas if you don't it's just prorated over the period of the contract?

Just to throw this out there (and for some reason the sports beat writers cannot seem to understand this)

This is BUFFALO.....15 years and counting no playoffs Buffalo Bills

I think these guys are just too comfortable with the bills not making the playoffs every year so they crap all over the bills doing something different (you know......like trading for a top 3 NFL back......backing up the brinks truck to make sure he is happy and doesnt hold out.......trading 1st round picks for WR with huge potential......stuff like that

I am not saying they root against us.....its just a shellshock for them that the bills might actually become relevent.

Just to throw this out there (and for some reason the sports beat writers cannot seem to understand this)

This is BUFFALO.....15 years and counting no playoffs Buffalo Bills

I think these guys are just too comfortable with the bills not making the playoffs every year so they crap all over the bills doing something different (you know......like trading for a top 3 NFL back......backing up the brinks truck to make sure he is happy and doesnt hold out.......trading 1st round picks for WR with huge potential......stuff like that

I am not saying they root against us.....its just a shellshock for them that the bills might actually become relevent.

We are going to be relevant...we are going to punch some teams right in the mouth this year and take their lunch money

Nice. About how much of that $21.605M will be needed for draftees/UDFA's? Thankful we don't have to sign a first-rounder this year? :devil:

in the short term, it actually does kind of make a difference dollars-wise. Last year Sammy got a 12m SB. McCoy got 13m. Basically a wash since we don't have to dole that out to this year's #1. Though the SBs are prorated I believe so the #19 pick wouldn't be 12m but you get my point.

I think anyone that can't calculate his cap hit this year based on 16m cash paid out and a 13m signing bonus being the bulk of that, shouldn't be allowed to comment on it yet

Let's see... 16 minus 13 equals... No. 13 gazinta 16 1 time . No, that's not right either 16 plus 13 equals... Oh shoot. I'm getting a head hurt.

Exactly. And then some.

Dr. Dareustein is on FIRE today! :thumbsup:

Agreed, it is a very good deal for the Bills and McCoy. I love how they structured this deal with plenty of cap space left for OL help and to bring Hughes back.

Good Ol' Mr. Overdorff. Always knew he could break out the pen and sign a big check.

(his hand must have been shaking)

This shows that the Pegulas aren't going to pull up cheap. They are paying him 16 mil in cash this year. Wait, they paid 1.4 billion for the team. Now they paid 1.416 billion for a team with LeSean McCoy, and freed up another 5 million in cap space.

Who cares how much money he makes? We have cap space. It ain't my dough, but it is my team. Way to go, Bills.

As for LaCanfora criticizing McCoy for a bad season.....1300 + yards? That's a bad season?

Wait till this year.

Woo hoo! :beer:

Somewhere out there......

Terry Pegula has his shovel and is digging another oil well on one of his properties.......Kim sits in the shade drinking a tall glass of lemonade and pooring a nice glass of "shut the @uck up for Jason Lancantoria"

"Were rich Jason.....we can do whatever we want....WHATEVER WE WANT!"

That's a thing of beauty John. I appreciate the imagery. You rock!

That's a nice cap number, way to be front office

Obviously overpaid and now Miami can't get him. @DICKLaCanfora

Sucks to be me. I can run a 40 faster than Rich Eisen. @RongTucker

Nice. About how much of that $21.605M will be needed for draftees/UDFA's? Thankful we don't have to sign a first-rounder this year? :devil:

Not very much. The 50th draft pick should get a signing bonus of about twenty cents, and it goes down from there.

I think teams budget about $5mill for signing the rooks. This year, we don't have to spend that much on unproven talent.

Edited by Nanker

McCoy at 16 million vs. Kiko at less than a million.

Way to go Bills.

It's not my money. I don't care how much he gets. Just saying I'd prefer to have Kiko plus whatever money saved to get someone else as opposed to McCoy.

So by restructuring and saving half his cap hit that will probably go to keeping Hughes... You still arent happy. Got it. Go Bills?

I like having Shady, but I gotta admit I'm not thrilled with paying any RB what he is making. I hate losing Kiko. Not only was he a quality player who was still on his cheap rookie contract, he brought a nastiness to the defense that I loved. That will be missed.

I wouldn't get ahead of myself thinking that Shady's new deal means Hughes is staying. If that was priority #1 then this trade makes little sense as the Bills acquired a much more expensive player than they lost.