Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hunk Cassel is a decent, not great option. But there's an argument to be made that he's better than other free agents. They have to add at least one more qb, I say add another one and let all three battle it out. Hopefully EJ wins.

Edited by BlueFire

For those calling for Locker or Moore, I don't see it. The only QB question left for this upcoming season is if they think that Tuel has any upside potential. If not, then they will draft another QB to replace him. Either way it's going to be a competiton between Manuel and Cassel for the starting job. No point in bringing in another scrub to muddy the waters.

...to backup and mentor EJ Manuel.

I really think now that they are looking to start EJ this year. The guys they have openly pursued this far - McCown and Cassell - both appear to be "mentor" types who don't "need" to start. I just listened to a KC guy on the radio talk about him and said that is who he is - he can be a decent backup but he's a "player- coach", a great mentor, and really helped Bridgewater last year. From what I've heard about mccown since he came to Cleveland, that's exactly who he is as well. Unless they sign someone else, look for EJ to get 1st team reps. Jmo. Edited by YoloinOhio

@BillsOnScout: Bills: Getting to Know New QB Matt Cassel - Tim Yotter of http://t.co/Vfp4HjHMeZtook the time to share his analy... http://t.co/iYFyaqdaVR

Good read, thanks!

I really think now that they are looking to start EJ this year. The guys they have openly pursued this far - McCown and Cassell - both appear to be "mentor" types who don't "need" to start. I just listened to a KC guy on the radio talk about him and said that is who he is - he can be a decent backup but he's a "player- coach", a great mentor, and really helped Bridgewater last year. From what I've heard about mccown since he came to Cleveland, that's exactly who he is as well. Unless they sign someone else, look for EJ to get 1st team reps. Jmo.

I think you've got part of the story but not all of it. I did a post in another thread I should probably have done here, maybe someone can tell me how to link to it?

Anyway, I think they are looking for what I would call a "mentor with an edge", someone who has won a starting job over a young guy recently and will put a serious scare into EJ (and any other young guy they bring in) that if he doesn't bring his A+ game it will be clipboard time - because that's exactly what it will be. EJ will get 1st team reps, but only if he earns them.

JMO. But looking for someone with that specific combination of attributes explains to me why they chose to pursue McCown and then Cassel over the rest of the FA class, including a couple who I believe have shown more talent as QB when they've played (Moore).

Can't. I cut the break lines....SUPER BOWL!! Go Bills!

Matt Cassell is completely underwhelming to me. But, I am also an optimist to the point of being stupid at times. So here goes...

The Bills were 9-7 last year, with absolutely horrific offensive coaching, horrific offensive line play, a horrific running attack and absolutely horrific QBing. Now they got rid of the absolutely horrific offensive coaching, are adding OL (we will sign a good starting OG), added Shady frigging McCoy, a solid OL coach, and solid OC, probably a TE, and will get at least the same QB play and probably better.