I'll say it now: Jameis Winston = Jimmy Clausen Part II

Or it is just the hyperbole that goes along with young, talented Quarterbacks. Y'know like when Johnny Football was Fran Tarkenton and Steve Young morphed into one?

Winston is a great prospect in my mind, I think Mariota is too - the next coming of Peyton Manning? That is going a little far I'd say.

Winston looks like a solid prospect but I think much of the hype is due to there not being a lot to talk about with this draft.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winston is a great prospect in my mind, I think Mariota is too - the next coming of Peyton Manning? That is going a little far I'd say.

Perhaps the comparisons aren't too far off, didn't ol' Fivehead have a problem (allegation) with a female coach or athlete at Tennessee that got swept quickly under the rug?

Perhaps the comparisons aren't too far off, didn't ol' Fivehead have a problem (allegation) with a female coach or athlete at Tennessee that got swept quickly under the rug?

Yes, Peyton got inappropriate with a female trainer. Finebaum has mentioned how Archie played damage control and called up all the media guys covering the SEC to basically tell them to be quiet or his family would no longer talk to them.

Yes, Peyton got inappropriate with a female trainer. Finebaum has mentioned how Archie played damage control and called up all the media guys covering the SEC to basically tell them to be quiet or his family would no longer talk to them.

According to Jamies, that female trainer blinked a "yes" which is twice the affirmation that moaning is!

Off topic, but it is interesting how noone has ever called out Archie Manning for being a total control freak and prick.....which was on full display during Eli's draft. Typical elitest corruption but he bends you over with a smile on his face so it's all good!

Edited by Garranimal

I think with confidence that Winston will be a much, much better QB than Clauson ever dreamed of being. He reads the whole field, has very good ball placement, and keeps his eyes down field. His distractions may get to him, but I'd take that bet all day long that he'll fair much better than Clauson.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jclausen.php

All of these same things were said about Clausen...

Strengths:

• Solid size and adequate bulk
  • Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows
  • Extremely quick, snappy release
  • Great accuracy
  • Nice hip torque on throws
  • Gets rid of ball quickly
  • Very decisive with the football
  • Takes what defense gives him; doesn't force ball/will throw away
  • Elite football IQ
  • Great touch
  • Well versed in NFL offense
  • Good sense of timing
  • Will step up/out of pocket
  • Knows how to read coverage
  • Sees the entire field; great vision
  • Very polished for a true junior
  • Shown outstanding development from freshman to junior season
  • Extremely intelligent
  • Ice in his veins; great poise
  • Mentally tough; plays through pain
  • Big leader
  • Confident
  • Film room rat
  • Elite intangibles
  • Good genetics and very well coached
  • Spent 3.5 years in a West Coast offense

Jameis is such a better prospect than Clausen. It's kinda if joke to mention them in the same breathe. Clausen was a rich kid who had a private qb coach since birth and got held back twice to help his career. He was like a robot.

That said, Clausen and Winston share being very unlikable. Clausen was more unlikable because of the douche factor (see Cutler, Jeff George, Losman). There is something about them that makes you want to punch them in the face.

Winston just seems like a dumb @ss. I want my qb to be the most liked, smartest guy in the team. JW just seems like he lacks common sense.

Winston can be either Big Ben or Ryan Leaf (cross racial comparisons!). He will make or break a Gm's career. His numbers this year kinda sucked too.

But for sure, he has all the talent. Just might be a moron.

biscuit, you know you and I both would like to see the team not give up on EJ yet, so I'm generally in agreement with you on things. but you're making some blanket statements here. Good QB's come in all shapes and sizes, and attitudes to boot. Brady is a douche. Montana was a douche. You would love for your QB to be the most liked player on the team. But he really needs to be the most respected player on the team. Personally, I can't and won't ever respect a rapist. Just about all the (journalistic) evidence I have seen on this case suggests that Winston is one and he's pretty shameless about it. you've probably got to have an unreal amount of confidence and belief in yourself to be a successful NFL quarterback. So worried about that. More worried if this is a guy who thinks he's going to arrive and take the NFL by storm, the way manziel did. talent is all well and good, but there is no substitute for the work. And there is always someone who is going to work harder than you in the NFL.

biscuit, you know you and I both would like to see the team not give up on EJ yet, so I'm generally in agreement with you on things. but you're making some blanket statements here. Good QB's come in all shapes and sizes, and attitudes to boot. Brady is a douche. Montana was a douche. You would love for your QB to be the most liked player on the team. But he really needs to be the most respected player on the team. Personally, I can't and won't ever respect a rapist. Just about all the (journalistic) evidence I have seen on this case suggests that Winston is one and he's pretty shameless about it. you've probably got to have an unreal amount of confidence and belief in yourself to be a successful NFL quarterback. So worried about that. More worried if this is a guy who thinks he's going to arrive and take the NFL by storm, the way manziel did. talent is all well and good, but there is no substitute for the work. And there is always someone who is going to work harder than you in the NFL.

Fair points. With Winston, it's mroe about off the field stuff for me. The douche guys I named (Cutler, George, Losman) were not respected in their lockerroom IMO. Brady, maybe a douche to Bills fan, but every guy respects in that lockerroom. He worked his way to where he is (same with Montana) and weren't handed things like Cutler or George.

I don't believe Cutler's teammates truly believe in the guy and his attitude is a major reason why (Urlacher rips him all the time).

You should read all of the actual evidence that has been put out there (Christine Brennan doesn't count). He went through all of the legal processes and was not found guilty. As far as being shameless about it, he doesn't need to feel any shame. He is being true to himself because he did nothing wrong. She said she thought she was drugged or drunk and toxicology reports show otherwise. She lied. She had semen from 2 different guys. A year later she tweets how wonderful of a player and dude he is while watching him play on TV and there is more. Winston hooked up with a wacked out jock chaser and has paid for it. If you look at the evidence and not just read the press clippings, it should make sense. One more thing, NFL teams have teams of security personnel that do a thorough job of investigating these issues and so far nothing leads to him being a rapist.

I just don't see the talent. I see him as a college qb that won't translate to the nfl. Weird throwing motion and bad decisions but had some great wr's that made him look great. Then you have the immaturity and that just seals the deal.

But...errrrr...he's smarter than Manning coming out of college.

You should read all of the actual evidence that has been put out there (Christine Brennan doesn't count). He went through all of the legal processes and was not found guilty. As far as being shameless about it, he doesn't need to feel any shame. He is being true to himself because he did nothing wrong. She said she thought she was drugged or drunk and toxicology reports show otherwise. She lied. She had semen from 2 different guys. A year later she tweets how wonderful of a player and dude he is while watching him play on TV and there is more. Winston hooked up with a wacked out jock chaser and has paid for it. If you look at the evidence and not just read the press clippings, it should make sense. One more thing, NFL teams have teams of security personnel that do a thorough job of investigating these issues and so far nothing leads to him being a rapist.

The university's show proceedings don't count. He was never found not guilty by the law. No charges were pressed after an 11-month lag, by a police department that is clearly in the back pocket of FSU. The "2 different guys" included Winston and her boyfriend, by the way. I know, real salacious. The fact is that there was evidence of an encounter, he admits to one, and there should be a legal proceeding to determine whose version is true, the accuser's or Winston;s.

Share the tweets, please. The accuser is still out there claiming her version, even releasing a documentary on the subject. The Bogdanovich article pretty clearly lays out that the way this was handled was abhorrent.

The university's show proceedings don't count. He was never found not guilty by the law. No charges were pressed after an 11-month lag, by a police department that is clearly in the back pocket of FSU. The "2 different guys" included Winston and her boyfriend, by the way. I know, real salacious. The fact is that there was evidence of an encounter, he admits to one, and there should be a legal proceeding to determine whose version is true, the accuser's or Winston;s.

Share the tweets, please. The accuser is still out there claiming her version, even releasing a documentary on the subject. The Bogdanovich article pretty clearly lays out that the way this was handled was abhorrent.

It's pretty obvious there's a double standard towards Winston. If some girl consents to some random guy, but later changes her mind and goes to the police with evidence, the guy is going to be in trouble. Especially in a college atmosphere with alcohol present. In my college days there were posters all over campus stating a girl under the influence couldn't legally give consent. It's a he said, she said, and the guy is going to lose in every situation unless they are protected like Winston.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jclausen.php

All of these same things were said about Clausen...

Strengths:

• Solid size and adequate bulk
  • Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows
  • Extremely quick, snappy release
  • Great accuracy
  • Nice hip torque on throws
  • Gets rid of ball quickly
  • Very decisive with the football
  • Takes what defense gives him; doesn't force ball/will throw away
  • Elite football IQ
  • Great touch
  • Well versed in NFL offense
  • Good sense of timing
  • Will step up/out of pocket
  • Knows how to read coverage
  • Sees the entire field; great vision
  • Very polished for a true junior
  • Shown outstanding development from freshman to junior season
  • Extremely intelligent
  • Ice in his veins; great poise
  • Mentally tough; plays through pain
  • Big leader
  • Confident
  • Film room rat
  • Elite intangibles
  • Good genetics and very well coached
  • Spent 3.5 years in a West Coast offense

Thats great but did you believe all those things when you SAW the man play in college ( about Clausen). I sure didn't see it, I do see it in Winston. I don't know if he'll even be a "good" starter but I'm quite confident he'll be far more relevant than Clauson ever was.

+1

Watched his games. Watched him throw to wide open receivers. Watched him run through monstrous holes in a weak division. He's now predicting Superbowl in first year (Yeah, I know...just confidence) and equating Lovie Smith compliments to being a Buccaneer. He'll demand a limo in no time. Welcome to the NFL Jameis Clausen.

Your take is absurd. I may not like his jovial, childish demeanor at times...but Winston is a helluva QB. He's gonna be very good. Definitely worthy of the #1 overall pick and i'm glad he's going to the NFC (so it seems).

Your take is absurd. I may not like his jovial, childish demeanor at times...but Winston is a helluva QB. He's gonna be very good. Definitely worthy of the #1 overall pick and i'm glad he's going to the NFC (so it seems).

So was Jimmy Clausen...so I guess Mel Kiper and NFL Scouts in 2010 are absurd as well.

Yea cause the scouts were so in love with him that they let him drop to the 2nd round. Getting stuff off walterfootball which is nothing but the average joe fan doesn't help your cause. If Clausen was so highly thought of why wasn't he in consideration for # 1 by you know the actual people who make the decisions not the Mel kipers of the world

You may be joking. HE went through no legal proceedings because, after the university and the local police totally botched or sabotaged (Florida St for sure) the investigation, he was never charged.

There is no way you could be remotely acquainted with the facts of the case and still lecture others about "actual evidence".