Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

give us some "whos" papa.

give us some options...

Who would you like them to look at?

Odd, eh?

That's fine and dandy, except for the fact that you have a defense that's ready to win now. Are you willing to wait until 2016 when another draft takes place? Do you expect that unknown draftee to step in day one and take over? How long can this defense maintain its superb level of play?

bradford, mallett, foles

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bradford, mallett, foles

They are not available today, but, you know that. Get the team better.

Do you care if it costs Pegs some $$$ and he was ultimately cut because there was a better option available? He's the best available QB at this time. Sign him if you can and then keep trying to improve the team.

Realistically, the Bills are only going to have two contenders for the starting QB position going into camp. There aren't enough reps to decide between more than that. EJ Manuel will be one. The second one should be a young developmental prospect like Manuel (ideally better). Otherwise, what's the point? Josh McCown would just be a caretaker who would gobble up reps. Bills need to make a trade and bring in a real competitor.

Realistically, the Bills are only going to have two contenders for the starting QB position going into camp. There aren't enough reps to decide between more than that. EJ Manuel will be one. The second one should be a young developmental prospect like Manuel (ideally better). Otherwise, what's the point? Josh McCown would just be a caretaker who would gobble up reps. Bills need to make a trade and bring in a real competitor.

Why can't they do both?

Why can't they do both?

I just explained why. There are only enough reps in camp to property evaluate prepare two candidates for the starting position. If they bring in McCown then it will be McCown and EJ and McCown is NOT a long term answer so it's a waste of time.

I just explained why. There are only enough reps in camp to property evaluate prepare two candidates for the starting position. If they bring in McCown then it will be McCown and EJ and McCown is NOT a long term answer so it's a waste of time.

No, you didn't.

Would it bother you if the Bills signed McCown only to release him if they got someone better? Would it bother you if they released EJ after acquiring McCown and another QB?

What isn't a waste of time? (this coming from someone who said your exact words in off seasons past) This defense should not be wasted.

No, you didn't.

Would it bother you if the Bills signed McCown only to release him if they got someone better? Would it bother you if they released EJ after acquiring McCown and another QB?

What isn't a waste of time? (this coming from someone who said your exact words in off seasons past) This defense should not be wasted.

a) McCown will not sign with Buffalo unless he is promised a chance to compete for the starting position

b) He will get too much money to be the #3 QB or to be released without extensive playing time in camp.

c) EJ is a better prospect than McCown so, yes it would bother me greatly if the Bills signed McCown and then released EJ.

d) McCown is not even as good as Orton, so if Kyle couldn't even get the Bills to the playoffs why do you think that McCown will? McCown at QB is the definition of another "wasted" season.

a) McCown will not sign with Buffalo unless he is promised a chance to compete for the starting position

b) He will get too much money to be the #3 QB or to be released without extensive playing time in camp.

c) EJ is a better prospect than McCown so, yes it would bother me greatly if the Bills signed McCown and then released EJ.

d) McCown is not even as good as Orton, so if Kyle couldn't even get the Bills to the playoffs why do you think that McCown will? McCown at QB is the definition of another "wasted" season.

You know an awful lot. A promise? You do know that NFL salaries are mostly not guaranteed? You prefer EJ and Tuel to EJ and McCown? Why?

He's the best available today.

You prefer?

McCown would be a big improvement over Orton. I was saying back in December that we should go after McCown (dude has played on some of the worst offenses in the league) or Hoyer.

I also still feel that we would have finished the year with the same record if we would have started EJ all year. Orton was absolutely terrible in the last few games.

I love the arm chair GMs/QB coaches. We really have no idea what EJ will be. I for one say give him a chance, he had a pretty good rookie season before the injury. Year two, I believe he was benched because of the spat between Saint Doug, and Whaley. He certainly would not have performed any worse than Orton last year, probably better. I just don't see where we can improve the QB position through FA, or the draft this year.

McCown would be a big improvement over Orton. I was saying back in December that we should go after McCown (dude has played on some of the worst offenses in the league) or Hoyer.

I also still feel that we would have finished the year with the same record if we would have started EJ all year. Orton was absolutely terrible in the last few games.

IMO, McCown would be an upgrade over Orton as Orton was just mailing it in. Also, Orton would have been better with THIS coaching staff and IMO would have made the playoffs. So, yes, today McCown is an upgrade or depth and we still have months to go to continue to upgrade and gain depth.

There are only enough reps in camp to property evaluate prepare two candidates for the starting position.

That's just complete BS. There's going to be at least 3 (maybe even 4) QBs in camp this year all fighting to start.

I'm amused by some of the people upset with OBD kicking the tires on McCown. It's almost like they thought we were joking when we said this year's FA QB crop is a complete dumpster fire.

They are not available today, but, you know that. Get the team better.

Do you care if it costs Pegs some $$$ and he was ultimately cut because there was a better option available? He's the best available QB at this time. Sign him if you can and then keep trying to improve the team.

mallett is a 2015 UFA and is available on march 10th.

bradford is a 2016 UFA, but will most likely be cut because of his enormous cap hit. fisher has stated they would like to keep bradford, but only at the "right price". STL is going after foles.

foles is a 2016 UFA. he in the last year of his contract at a very low cost. kelly has yet to endorse foles and trade rumors are swirling.

McCown would be an upgrade, but most likely Sanchez would be better as well. Sanchez was able to get the Jets to the AFC Championship his first two years when he had a running game with LT, and a stout defense. Well, we should get another Guard in free agency to have that punishing line, and a running game as well as a stout defense.

Sanchez is not a top tier QB, but neither is McCown, or any other QB available. Read Mayock's report there is no solid 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. We need someone as EJ is not the answer.

mallett is a 2015 UFA and is available on march 10th.

bradford is a 2016 UFA, but will most likely be cut because of his enormous cap hit. fisher has stated they would like to keep bradford, but only at the "right price". STL is going after foles.

foles is a 2016 UFA. he in the last year of his contract at a very low cost. kelly has yet to endorse foles and trade rumors are swirling.

Okay... Mallett has started what? 2 games? There is still a major question mark about how good he is to me.

The Rams sound to me as though they have accepted that their best chance of winning in 2015 is with Bradford and I think he will be back there now and Foles? Who knows? But the point is neither of those guys is guaranteed to be available. If the Bills decide to hang on and wait incase something happens and it doesn't..... then where are they? By that time McCown, Hoyer, Moore, Locker and Sanchez could be off the market and you have no competition at all for EJ.

I am content for them to kick the tires on McCown so long as it isn't a deal that ties him to us if a better alternative does shake loose somewhere down the line.

watch his game tape in Chicago. he was the product of a good team with arguably the best receivers in the league at his disposal. he would literally throw the ball up for grabs and the receivers would make the plays. he has 11 years of bad stats and 1 year of good stats. and it's much different when you are the guy and all of the pressure is on you. he had no pressure in Chicago. nobody expected anything from him so he just went out there and threw the ball up in the air and whatever happens happens. with Tampa and now with the Bills everyone is going to expect him to be that veteran guy that we need but that's not him. he is just a backup QB and that's all he will ever be.

if we are signing him as a backup then fine. but unfortunately we are signing him as the "top free agent QB in the NFL" and he is definitely not that!

I don't know, I find it a little hard to believe that J.M. just went out and chucked the ball up hoping his guys would make a play. 13 TD / 1 INT are pretty decent numbers to just throw it up. I also didn't watch the Bears in 2013, so I very well may be speaking out of place.

IMO, if the Bills don't explore every option then they haven't done their due diligence in their QB search. They are not in the position to leave stones unturned. I am glad that they are active, better than the alternative.