Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

That's just complete BS. There's going to be at least 3 (maybe even 4) QBs in camp this year all fighting to start.

I'm amused by some of the people upset with OBD kicking the tires on McCown. It's almost like they thought we were joking when we said this year's FA QB crop is a complete dumpster fire.

So bring in another QB even though he stinks just to have 3 or 4 contenders to start?

You know an awful lot. A promise? You do know that NFL salaries are mostly not guaranteed? You prefer EJ and Tuel to EJ and McCown? Why?

He's the best available today.

You prefer?

Yes, I prefer Tuel to McCown. There may be a 1 in 100 chance that Tuel will become a solid starter but that's better than McCown. At this point in his career McCowns is what he is.

Mike Ditka used to say that your goal should be to have only two types of players on your team: Players that you can win a championship with and players who you believe can become guys that you can win a championship with.

Which one is McCown. If he's neither, then what's the point of bringing him in?

Edited by vincec

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So bring in another QB even though he stinks just to have 3 or 4 contenders to start?

Yes, I prefer Tuel to McCown. There may be a 1 in 100 chance that Tuel will become a solid starter but that's better than McCown. At this point in his career McCowns is what he is.

Mike Ditka used to say that your goal should be to have only two types of players on your team: Players that you can win a championship with and players who you believe can become guys that you can win a championship with.

Agree. But they do need another QB body when OTAs start. Unless its Cutler or someone like that, I don't care who they bring in; I am then assuming EJ is the guy in 2015 . amazing to say that I know, but who out there will be any better? honestly? Bad year for FA QBs and the draft is empty. If they can get Foles, sure, but Philly is not giving him up. No one with quality QBs is letting them get away. If they do, they become the Bills.

Edited by 8and8Forever

I don't know, I find it a little hard to believe that J.M. just went out and chucked the ball up hoping his guys would make a play. 13 TD / 1 INT are pretty decent numbers to just throw it up. I also didn't watch the Bears in 2013, so I very well may be speaking out of place.

IMO, if the Bills don't explore every option then they haven't done their due diligence in their QB search. They are not in the position to leave stones unturned. I am glad that they are active, better than the alternative.

Whether he "just chucked it up there" or made some nice throws, it can't be debated that that season was the true outlier for McCown's career. Outside of that season, McCown has thrown more INTS than TDS and has a sub-60 completion %

mallett is a 2015 UFA and is available on march 10th.

bradford is a 2016 UFA, but will most likely be cut because of his enormous cap hit. fisher has stated they would like to keep bradford, but only at the "right price". STL is going after foles.

foles is a 2016 UFA. he in the last year of his contract at a very low cost. kelly has yet to endorse foles and trade rumors are swirling.

Speculation outside of Mallett and as I said, none of them is available today. Is the only certain QB you mention, Mallett, better than McCown? How do you know this?

And, you didn't answer my question. This is a big "so what" to me. Sign him, fine, don't, still fine. We have to get better at the position, significantly better. There should be 2 new QBs on the roster next year & you have to start someplace.

So, what is your magic plan to get these players & what does it come to fruition? You do know that good, really good QBs just don't come on the market? What would you do as GM?

Speculation outside of Mallett and as I said, none of them is available today. Is the only certain QB you mention, Mallett, better than McCown? How do you know this?

I would prefer that the Bills sign Mallett over McCown because Mallett has upside. McCown, like Orton, has a long enough track record that you know who he is. And who he is isn't good enough. Mallett has all of the physical tools and has sat behind Brady for several years. He'e learned under Belicheck and has looked pretty good when he's played. He at least has a chance to be good enough. Will he be? Nobody knows. But we already know about McCown. I'd be fine with McCown as a backup to either Mallett or EJ, though.

I would prefer that the Bills sign Mallett over McCown because Mallett has upside. McCown, like Orton, has a long enough track record that you know who he is. And who he is isn't good enough. Mallett has all of the physical tools and has sat behind Brady for several years. He'e learned under Belicheck and has looked pretty good when he's played. He at least has a chance to be good enough. Will he be? Nobody knows. But we already know about McCown. I'd be fine with McCown as a backup to either Mallett or EJ, though.

Does EJ have upside? Are you comfortable with 2 QBs with potential upside leading your team?

Does EJ have upside? Are you comfortable with 2 QBs with potential upside leading your team?

Yes and Yes. I do believe EJ has upside. I still have hope for him. And Yes, I'd be comfortable with EJ and Mallett leading the team. Having 2 guys that have a chance to be good is better than just 1. I am fully comfortable with either of them as the backup.

Signing McCown sets your bar at mediocre and challenges EJ to beat that. Signing Mallett sets open competition for the two of them and pushes both to strive for something better.

Yes and Yes. I do believe EJ has upside. I still have hope for him. And Yes, I'd be comfortable with EJ and Mallett leading the team. Having 2 guys that have a chance to be good is better than just 1. I am fully comfortable with either of them as the backup.

Signing McCown sets your bar at mediocre and challenges EJ to beat that. Signing Mallett sets open competition for the two of them and pushes both to strive for something better.

Do you think Mallett will come cheaply? How much are "you" willing to invest in him? What has he shown that gives you hope?

Do you think Mallett will come cheaply? How much are "you" willing to invest in him? What has he shown that gives you hope?

I think Mallett will be reasonable. Probably an incentive laden deal. I would think He and McCown would get about the same. (McCown will probably get more just based on experience).

I liked him coming out of college. Big, strong QB. Big arm. Good accuracy. Improved each year in college.

He hasn't played much at all in the NFL so there's not much to go by. So it is definitely more of a calculated risk.

Like I said before, I believe McCown is what he is. I think Mallett has a chance to be better than McCown can be and I'd rather take a chance than settle for mediocre.

mallett is a 2015 UFA and is available on march 10th.

bradford is a 2016 UFA, but will most likely be cut because of his enormous cap hit. fisher has stated they would like to keep bradford, but only at the "right price". STL is going after foles.

foles is a 2016 UFA. he in the last year of his contract at a very low cost. kelly has yet to endorse foles and trade rumors are swirling.

Papa,

The question remains on two of these qbs (and what has Mallett done that would make us think he is anything better then EJ Manuel?)

Bradford (even injury prone) would be great....we would actually need to trade for him

Foles (who is actually my pick if we do a trade) would be great but we would actually have to trade for him

Problem is people are looking for a long term starter when this years QB is only a stop gap... Which is why they looked at McCown.

Exactly. This is the issue. Any QB brought in to compete with EJ will be a stopgap until next years FA pool and/or draft. There isn't even a QB to draft that is a sure-fire thing if we had the #1 pick this year. I'm fine having every QB available in training camp to compete with EJ and Tuel, and then we keep the top 2 of that group.

I love that the Bills are starting early in their QB search, sends out a signal to other FA QB's that they will have the ability to compete here.

I'd take Fitzpatrick at this point

wonder if we could get SJ also. They did play well together. I'd take any FA QB at this point for competition. Can't have them all, but brining them in certainly doesn't hurt. My top choice at FA is Sanchez, simply because he has played very well at times, and Rex made 2 AFC Championship games with him.

Problem is people are looking for a long term starter when this years QB is only a stop gap... Which is why they looked at McCown.

Why not look to solve the problem long term rather than a stop gap? Who says they will get a good QB next year. I would agree with you if they had a high #1 pick and were drafting a QB to groom behind a vet. But that is not the case. I'd like to find a guy who can be good now and potentially Very good down the road rather sign a Kyle Orton clone.

There is a reason that McClown has been passed around the league like a joint at a Grateful dead concert. HE SUCKS! Why pay money for crap, the Bills already have EJ and Tuel and they cost less. Take the money you would give this Clown and give it to a Pro-bowl Guard instead.

And what do we do at QB?

You arent really indicating running with Manuel and Tuel are you?

I get what you are saying but...

I seriously doubt that Tuel will ever have a season as good as McCown's 2013 showing. I don't think the odds are even 1 in 100 that Tuel will be a solid starter. I think McCown's odds of being productive are far better than Tuel's. I also think McCown will be a better mentor to EJ than Tuel - which will be important if EJ is the starter this year.

I wouldn't use Ditka as a personnel expert to bolster your POV. Ditka had 7 winning seasons in 14 years as a head coach, and those were primarily achieved by a defense he didn't run. And when Ditka was in charge of personnel decisions in NO, he didn't achieve even one winning season. In fact, he went 15-33 when personnel decisions were governed by his philosophy.