Hughes discusses future on Sirius/PFT Live interviews

YoloinOhio

I'll take it as a positive, whether it's a $ play or not. When Justin Houston says he wants ti go to the Bills, then there is news. Dare to dream.....

I'm going to run this in the ground and probably end up getting flamed for it but i wish for Brian Orakpo.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure that pro athletes don't say to themselves, "I'm not a legit #1 guy, I'm lucky to be racking up the numbers I am." I'm sure he thinks he'll have success no matter where he goes so why not make the most money while doing it?

Of course, I have my doubts whether he actually will, but I'm sure he doesn't have those same doubts.

im sure most think they are very good - but i also think most realize that they have to be a fit and hughes, all things close to equal, would much rather be the 4th best pass rusher on the line than make a tiny bit extra and have to face double teams plus a chip block every play. its both more comfortable, and a higher probability of success.

i think that buys a tiny bit of leeway with some guys. not all, but some.

Where do you get $15M from?

CBF

I believe that is the franchise number for a DE in the NFL. I not sure if I read it in that article or somewhere else

He's not a situational pass rusher. He's the starting RE

I do not recall him playing every down at RDE

His forte is pass rushing.

Edited by ddaryl

I believe that is the franchise number for a DE in the NFL. I not sure if I read it in that article or somewhere else

I do not recall him playing every down at RDE

His forte is pass rushing.

That is close to the tag number for a DE this year, which is pretty amazing.

And he did play tough against the run this year, especially the second half of the season. If he isn't a 3 down DE right now, he's as close as you can get to it.

Hughes will be easily replaced,probably with a better player for less money too!

Just another player over estimating his value

See ya, please turn off the light ...

Edited by HOUSE

Hughes will be easily replaced,probably with a better player for less money too!

Can't agree with you at all. Jerry played very well this year both rushing the passer and against the run. He stacks up on paper as an elite DE. I do believe he benefited from the scheme and those around him. Paying him based on his stats would be a mistake as we can only afford spending so much money on the DL. He's likely to leave with a big contract to some other team desperate for a pass rusher. Kudos to him and I wish him luck. He's not worth tag money, but he is very good and will be missed.

20 sacks the last two years is not "easy" to replace. As long as Hughes is not looking for more than 10 million a year then it would be foolish for the Bills to mess with such a large and vital cog of this defense. If I were the Bills I'd sign Hughes with an eye to either replace Mario Williams or asking for him to take a pay cut in a couple of years. Hughes is three years younger than Mario and he should be seen as one of the long term nucleus players on the defense.

The Bills don't have to pay for an elite QB, the cap number is going upward, there is no reason to not pay Hughes market value for the job well done and make sure you don't mess with the only good thing on this team, the defense.

His value is what he gets offered. Doesn't matter what we think he's "worth". Get your money Jerry. You've been all we can ask for the last 2 seasons. I hope he resigns, but if he's offered 10+ mill a year and he won't pay it, so be it. You earned it and will be missed.

im sure most think they are very good - but i also think most realize that they have to be a fit and hughes, all things close to equal, would much rather be the 4th best pass rusher on the line than make a tiny bit extra and have to face double teams plus a chip block every play. its both more comfortable, and a higher probability of success.

i think that buys a tiny bit of leeway with some guys. not all, but some.

We regularly see players move from teams where they are a good fit to teams where they struggle to produce, and don't end up seeing their full FA contract. I think that this is where the importance of having a good manager comes into play. It is their job to do what is best for their client(and make more money for themselves).....but it seems that far too often they try to squeeze out the maximum dollar without considering the long term implications.

IMO Hughes' manager should be doing all he can to convince Hughes to take a little less money and stay in Buffalo where he will have the best chance to see the entirity of the concract monies.

i agree but i think we neglect that going elsewhere for pennies more and getting cut in 2 years because he cant be the #1 guy and having to find a role player deal might not be as lucrative as keeping up the good thing he has going now.

IF (all caps IF) hes only being discussed at that pay grade due to his line mates, there is a potential benefit to sticking in that situation.

The problem is that his agent is going to look out for the best deal for him. Secondly, players are ALWAYS curious to see if they can play for a winner like the Patriots or Steelers etc. I am sure that had a big influence in Byrd choosing New Orleans; NO also pony'ed up the money

20 sacks the last two years is not "easy" to replace. As long as Hughes is not looking for more than 10 million a year then it would be foolish for the Bills to mess with such a large and vital cog of this defense. If I were the Bills I'd sign Hughes with an eye to either replace Mario Williams or asking for him to take a pay cut in a couple of years. Hughes is three years younger than Mario and he should be seen as one of the long term nucleus players on the defense.

The Bills don't have to pay for an elite QB, the cap number is going upward, there is no reason to not pay Hughes market value for the job well done and make sure you don't mess with the only good thing on this team, the defense.

Hughes is not the same type of player as Mario at all. While he showed improvement vs. the run this year Hughes is nowhere near the edge setter that Mario is. He also doesn't have the full compliment of pass rush moves that Mario has. Mario is an elite player who can use speed, power - or both, to get to the passer or ball carrier.

Hughes is not that type of player and I disagree that he's a guy you build around. He's a guy who is a complimentary player who will rack up big numbers if he's in the right place but who can be seen as a huge disappointment if too much is expected of him. The last thing I want the Bills to do is break the bank for Hughes. That's not to say I wouldn't like to keep him, but not if he's getting paid elite money.

The problem is that his agent is going to look out for the best deal for him. Secondly, players are ALWAYS curious to see if they can play for a winner like the Patriots or Steelers etc. I am sure that had a big influence in Byrd choosing New Orleans; NO also pony'ed up the money

To the first, I think that the best deal that earns the most money isn't always the biggest number on paper.

To the latter-- sure. Plenty of other things go in.

We regularly see players move from teams where they are a good fit to teams where they struggle to produce, and don't end up seeing their full FA contract. I think that this is where the importance of having a good manager comes into play. It is their job to do what is best for their client(and make more money for themselves).....but it seems that far too often they try to squeeze out the maximum dollar without considering the long term implications.

IMO Hughes' manager should be doing all he can to convince Hughes to take a little less money and stay in Buffalo where he will have the best chance to see the entirity of the concract monies.

Yup. As long as buffalo is in the ballpark he'd be wise to give it a lot of consideration

Hughes is not the same type of player as Mario at all. While he showed improvement vs. the run this year Hughes is nowhere near the edge setter that Mario is. He also doesn't have the full compliment of pass rush moves that Mario has. Mario is an elite player who can use speed, power - or both, to get to the passer or ball carrier.

Hughes is not that type of player and I disagree that he's a guy you build around. He's a guy who is a complimentary player who will rack up big numbers if he's in the right place but who can be seen as a huge disappointment if too much is expected of him. The last thing I want the Bills to do is break the bank for Hughes. That's not to say I wouldn't like to keep him, but not if he's getting paid elite money.

I wasn’t trying to infer that they were the same player. Just that Hughes is three years younger than Mario and he should be in the long term 10 year plan with Marcel Dareus, Kiko Alonzo, Preston Brown. When Mario is gone in 4 or 5 years, the Bills will tweak their system. Because they won’t find an identical model or clone of Mario Williams as his replacement.

BTW, I think you are way off the mark in evaluating Hughes’ talent. The guy is a “baller” like James Harrison and Terrell Suggs. Not saying he’s as good, but he’s on that path to get very close to that level. This isn’t a Phil Hanson complimentary role type of player. The guy intimidates the opposing offenses. Lose some of that and see just how hard it is to stay on top.

When I think of Jerry Hughes, I visualize that game where he tackled that running back for a loss, stripped the ball, picked it up and rumbled in for a TD. He has great instincts. Pay that man his money.

when i think of hughes, i visualize the 6 times in one game that cle OT joe thomas pancaked his azz.

He's not getting franchised , that'd be over paying. Rex comments were telling when asked, basically said who wouldn't want to play alongside dareus, kyle and Mario. Imo sent the message that plenty of guys could get 10 sacks with this unit, so dont think we're keen on keeping you at all costs

Edited by JTSP