Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The little talked about QB option that I think the Bills should pursue is the one used by the 2000 Ravens to win the SB with their failed former 1st round choice Trent Dilfer. They built such a strong D that this was the key factor that led the team to the SB.

Can the Bills deliver an SB victory in 2015 with this approach?

No

The good news is that they do not have to. Let's merely make the playoffs first and this quest simply demands not that EJ or whoever is the QB you are psychotic about prove to not be the new Joe Montana bot the next average QB like a Dilfer, Brad Johnson. Mark Rypien etc.

Face it, EJ does not appear playoff ready yet as a team leader nor has anyone made a compelling case as a player capable of leading this team deep into the playoffs, it seems far more likely that our Pro Bowl DL, an LB corps which gets back Alonso on D.

I like the idea if getting of getting a lock down CB like a Revis as ti9ghter coverage simply means more sacks for us.

The league has changed. The rules now dictate that having a difference-making qb rather than a caretaker qb is the only path to the SB.

The league has changed. The rules now dictate that having a difference-making qb rather than a caretaker qb is the only path to the SB.

That being said, I was surprised when they said during the superbowl that Tom Brady was 1 out of 22 on passes over 20yds in the air in all of his previous superbowls. Does that make him a game manager?

That being said, I was surprised when they said during the superbowl that Tom Brady was 1 out of 22 on passes over 20yds in the air in all of his previous superbowls. Does that make him a game manager?

I think the game plan, especially this past SB, was to manage the game with quick short throws. But it's nice to go into a game with that game plan and know that you have a QB more than capable of changing it up, by throwing down field more, if the game dictates it...

Hard to imagine which path hasn't been discussed much.... seems like every available option has been beaten to death. That's what this time of year is for....

There's a difference between someone who hasn't been discussed much outside of and inside of TBD. We've talked about everyone from Tom Brady to Kurt Warner to Kellen Moore and Jamarcus Russell.

Looks like he's playing RG3 as his personal choice, not the source's

I would be fine with acquiring RGIII as long as the price was fair. Would not want to give up multiple #1 picks. Would like deal to be conditional. Griffin has the highest upside of any of the potential options (assuming he is an option).

I would be fine with acquiring RGIII as long as the price was fair. Would not want to give up multiple #1 picks. Would like deal to be conditional. Griffin has the highest upside of any of the potential options (assuming he is an option).

He seems to think the price tag would be a 3rd, I think conditional 2nd/3rd based on starts and playoffs is possible. Either way he's due 7 mil and that might be too much (in the Redskins eyes) for an injury prone QB that has had 2 coaches give up on him

He seems to think the price tag would be a 3rd, I think conditional 2nd/3rd based on starts and playoffs is possible. Either way he's due 7 mil and that might be too much (in the Redskins eyes) for an injury prone QB that has had 2 coaches give up on him

I just cant see Washington trading him for that little. They would want to recoup some of the picks they lost in acquiring him and they would want to save face.

Hard to imagine which path hasn't been discussed much.... seems like every available option has been beaten to death. That's what this time of year is for....

If the Bills hire hit men to murder all of the NFL's starting QBs, about half the backups, about 15 college QBs, and about 5 high-schoolers, EJ Manuel will be the best QB around.

Maybe he's trying not to spill all the Bills' beans. You don't maintain sources by revealing everything you know.

OMG! Why is a marketing guy trying to play football?

Russ just wants to be one of the guys!

I might be in the minority but i think Spikes is a desirable player.

Be interesting to see how this new FO works the offseason developing the roster.

although at times we have talked about every possibilty, i would say the least talked about are

#1- trading up to the #1 overall pick (usually because the price would be like 3-4 @ #1 picks).

#2- trading for a proven franchise qb (usually because we never believe another other team would do it).

#3- we have talked ad nauseam of available lower level free agents and using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another development qb.

If the Bills hire hit men to murder all of the NFL's starting QBs, about half the backups, about 15 college QBs, and about 5 high-schoolers, EJ Manuel will be the best QB around.

And now even the secret plan has at least been mentioned!

although at times we have talked about every possibilty, i would say the least talked about are

#1- trading up to the #1 overall pick (usually because the price would be like 3-4 @ #1 picks).

#2- trading for a proven franchise qb (usually because we never believe another other team would do it).

#3- we have talked ad nauseam of available lower level free agents and using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another development qb.

This would seem to make sense. Another big splash in our future - dwarfing last years big splash? I just can't wait to see what the darn plan is...oh, and win the Super Bowl.

I dont think the Bills consider fan/message board talk when they make such a statement. More so, what has been discussed by the media.

And if that is the case, all that has really been discussed is signing Sanchez (or another FA vet), or trading for Foles. I dont think Whaley saw my post about trading for Matt Ryan, or any of our other zany ideas from TBD.

So that leaves a lot of options available, possibly even options that we discussed and dismissed!

I just cant see Washington trading him for that little. They would want to recoup some of the picks they lost in acquiring him and they would want to save face.

The coach has said he's not a starting caliber QB and benched him. It's his last year under contract. Better to obtain something in a trade this year than lose him for nothing next.

Here's one I haven't seen discussed anywhere:

In round 7, draft the best college QB who is too young to be drafted under current NFL rules. Then lobby other owners to change the rules, or take the NFL to court to void their existing draft policy, or buy a Congressman to try to change existing laws so that existing NFL draft policy becomes illegal. Or some combination of all three. Very low risk because it will only cost a 7th round pick - - very little chance of success, but potentially very high reward. Pegula can afford the cost.

After 15 years, we gotta think outside the box:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8943142/draft-restriction-makes-sense-colleges-nfl-not-players

I dont think the Bills consider fan/message board talk when they make such a statement. More so, what has been discussed by the media.

Of course they don't consider us or the media. But if it's "little discussed", does that mean even OBD won't talk about it amongst themselves. We don't count, so who else isn't discussing it? Them? The whole thing is just a cryptic mess that I hope turns into a viable plan. I won't say the info is misleading (since I have no clue what the plan is), but it's certainly not enlightening. Please just do something brilliant we talk about for decades...