Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who follow Kevin Massare on Twitter, her had this little piece today after a talk with his "inside source":

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare

Source would not address QB with me, just said "we will be going a route that not many have talked about". SO take that for what its worth.

No idea what it means, but...

Discuss.

Thanks for the heads up on a Kevin Massare article Kevin Massare.

I tend to think you are right about Brees, but just speculating that given NO's cap issues, Drew's huge contract, and their terrible performance last year NO may be thinking of retooling. It would assume they had a plan on a draftable QB of course. They need lots of help. That team was awful last year.

The ownership fight really puts an end to the speculation though. If Tom Benson dealt the greatest player in franchise history, coming off of a 5,000 yard season he would get murdered in the court of public opinion. It wouldn't help in his case to defend his sanity against Rita and co.

I think the main goal is actually not going to be planning on J becoming great (quite unlikely) or find a QB in the draft (quite impossible with this class), or get a great FA o trade (also quite unlikely).

I suspect the QB plan is actually going to be to get a player like a Revis which allows the Bills QB strategy to be similar to the one used by the 2000 Ravens. Make your D so good you can get Ws with a failed former 1st rounder like Dilfer QBing your team.

Can EJ be great? Nope.

Can EJ be merely adequate with a superior D?

Yep!

I think the main goal is actually not going to be planning on J becoming great (quite unlikely) or find a QB in the draft (quite impossible with this class), or get a great FA o trade (also quite unlikely).

I suspect the QB plan is actually going to be to get a player like a Revis which allows the Bills QB strategy to be similar to the one used by the 2000 Ravens. Make your D so good you can get Ws with a failed former 1st rounder like Dilfer QBing your team.

Can EJ be great? Nope.

Yep!

I have a sneaking suspicion that EJ Manuel is not part of the plan. Just a hunch.

Can EJ be great? Nope.

Yep!

I hope this isn't the plan.

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare · 2h 2 hours ago

One thing to remember, Roman has always preferred a moving QB. Luck, Smith, Kaepernick.

That rules out Orton and Glennon

Tahj Boyd. Tyrod Taylor Joe Webb

Ej trade ? Man that would be something. Adding Mckelvin (pending revis) to a trade w Ej and a pick should net a solid return.

Can EJ be great? Nope.

Yep!

Although this approach can yield some positive results, there is a major flaw with it.

No matter how good the D, the day will come when you need top QB performance to counter-attack the opponents top QB, like when you get deep into the playoffs.

At that point, a mediocre EJ ain't gonna be enough.

If the goal is to merely make the playoffs and lose a wildcard game, sure, EJ could work for that if he has improved.

Edited by Stopthepain