All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He assumed he was wide open, just like Lee Evans assumed no one was going to contest his AFCC winning TD a few years ago and Marlon McCree assumed his INT sealed a playoff game for the Chargers. There's a reason the Pats won all of those games, and it's because Belichick makes sure the guys who fail to exert 100% physically and mentally in crucial situations are almost never on his team.

Not that it excuses the play call, but when the Pats were given the slimmest of chances to save the game, they made the play.

That's really true, and another reason why you run.

The fact is, there were about 18 reasons why you run and about 2 why you throw that pass. That's why it was the worst call ever.

It's horrific because of the situation. The one thing you absolutely cannot afford is an interception. It simply cannot happen.

There is aggressive calls and then there are stupid calls. This wasn't aggressive. It was stupid. It flushed a season's worth of hard work down the toilet.

i believe the Pats were ready for it, because the Hawks ran it successfully during the season out of their goal line package. Bevell's (and Wilson's) mistake was underestimating the impact Browner could have on the play. not a stupid call at all, just a play that couldn't be executed well against that coverage.. had they used that same formation - along with Lockette's flattened out first step to fake the inside slant, and send Butler racing inside - this thread would be about how brilliant Bevel was to get Lockette wide open in the corner. but yeah.. Bevell was obviously wrong in thinking they could execute the play 'as is', but had Kearse out-muscled Browner to get the inside depth needed to cut off Butler - Lockette scores standing up.

i believe the Pats were ready for it, because the Hawks ran it successfully during the season out of their goal line package. Bevell's (and Wilson's) mistake was underestimating the impact Browner could have on the play. not a stupid call at all, just a play that couldn't be executed well against that coverage.. had they used that same formation - along with Lockette's flattened out first step to fake the inside slant, and send Butler racing inside - this thread would be about how brilliant Bevel was to get Lockette wide open in the corner. but yeah.. Bevell was obviously wrong in thinking they could execute the play 'as is', but had Kearse out-muscled Browner to get the inside depth needed to cut off Butler - Lockette scores standing up.

or if butler the UDFA rookie with no big time experience doesnt make the play of a lifetime, or if wilson lobs it to the backside to marshawn, or if he locates the ball on the back shoulder instead of leading him, or lockette realized that the rub didnt happen.... pretty much all the things that couldve gone wrong on that play both in the hawks lack of execution and the pats great execution came out with the worst possible outcome. that it was possible made it a risky play call though. Edited by NoSaint

So, your position is it was a smart call because it could've been a different call altogether?

As far as execution, Seattle was blowing the Patriots off the line of scrimmage. Add that the refs were letting all but the most flagrant things go, and you just have the line clutch and grab and watch either Marshawn or Wilson score. Winning the game, they look pretty smart too.

or if butler the UDFA rookie with no big time experience doesnt make the play of a lifetime, or if wilson lobs it to the backside to marshawn, or if he locates the ball on the back shoulder instead of leading him, or lockette realized that the rub didnt happen.... pretty much all the things that couldve gone wrong on that play both in the hawks lack of execution and the pats great execution came out with the worst possible outcome. that it was possible made it a risky play call though.

i hear ya.. but this play is not being argued as 'risky', but as 'stupid'

the fact that a good play - that's has worked so well that the Pats were prepared for it - couldn't be executed well enough to work as designed had everything to do with the Kearse/Browner matchup at the LOS - nothing else. if Kearse wins that battle, Butler's not there. knowing it's coming, and stopping it, are two different things.. Bevell thought it could work, even with Browner pressing Kearse.. he was wrong.

Is there any doubt Lynch walks it in from the 1 especially after everything that happened in the previous minute? Seahawks got too cute with the clock and didn't finish off a wounded opponent.

So, your position is it was a smart call because it could've been a different call altogether?

As far as execution, Seattle was blowing the Patriots off the line of scrimmage. Add that the refs were letting all but the most flagrant things go, and you just have the line clutch and grab and watch either Marshawn or Wilson score. Winning the game, they look pretty smart too.

i said i liked it.. and it's certainly not 'dumb' or 'stupid' to attempt to run something they've worked hard at perfecting the timing of. Browner blew it up.. and had the coach anticipated that, he would have been brilliant.

could thay have pounded it in for a score - probably.. but how 'dumb' or 'stupid' would Bevell look if they couldn't get in?

I still think PI could have been called the *ats* defender went right through receiver. But don't see it called there. An over the middle pass was lame a pass ok to outside etc might have been. But even with three downs the OL had to be able to get one yard and lynch is a beast and they had two time outs left

No way. There is no such thing as PI within one yard of the LOS. Defensive Holding - yes, PI - no.

The LOS was about the 1 yard line. Receiver was hit in front of the goal line. Both the defender and receiver have a right to the ball.

I don't think it was the right play call, but I don't think it was terribly dumb either. I think it was a great play by Butler to beat the receiver to the ball. The receiver needed to do a better job fighting for the football.

iCgwIG3.jpg

Edited by BlueFire

No way. There is no such thing as PI within one yard of the LOS. Defensive Holding - yes, PI - no.

The LOS was about the 1 yard line. Receiver was hit in front of the goal line. Both the defender and receiver have a right to the ball.

you miiiiight see it called once in awhile 1st quarter of a regular season game but not 20 seconds left in the SB.

i hear ya.. but this play is not being argued as 'risky', but as 'stupid'

the fact that a good play - that's has worked so well that the Pats were prepared for it - couldn't be executed well enough to work as designed had everything to do with the Kearse/Browner matchup at the LOS - nothing else. if Kearse wins that battle, Butler's not there. knowing it's coming, and stopping it, are two different things.. Bevell thought it could work, even with Browner pressing Kearse.. he was wrong.

Risky = stupid when there is no reason to be risky.

That's really true, and another reason why you run.

The fact is, there were about 18 reasons why you run and about 2 why you throw that pass. That's why it was the worst call ever.

Agreed with both you and KD. The thing is, on that sort of play, I'd say that there's a 33 percent chance that a DB will anticipate correctly and jump the route. Unlike a fade or a corner throw, it is the OPPOSITE of a safe play. The Niners in 2013 tried to do a corner throw but it failed because of the fierce Ravens pass rush. It didn't work, but it was the right call.

Edited by dave mcbride

i said i liked it.. and it's certainly not 'dumb' or 'stupid' to attempt to run something they've worked hard at perfecting the timing of. Browner blew it up.. and had the coach anticipated that, he would have been brilliant.

could thay have pounded it in for a score - probably.. but how 'dumb' or 'stupid' would Bevell look if they couldn't get in?

Probably?

I basically took 11 guys to keep Marshawn out from the 5 one play earlier. 3 cracks from the one = "probably"?

The only chance they had was if Marshawn fumbled or there was a bad exchange or something.

Just saw it again for the 50th time and I still don't believe it. It's the dumbest play call in the history of football. 2nd & goal from just inside the one yard line with the clock running. 25 seconds left when the ball was snapped. They had a timeout left. They claim they were wasting a play to kill clock. What? Two plays to get less than a yard to win the Super Bowl. Marshawn Lynch is your running back. Even a QB sneak would have been a better idea on 2nd & goal. Then give it to Lynch on 3rd & goal if he doesn't make it on 2nd & goal or give it to Lynch twice... if he doesn't score on 2nd & goal. Formation was dumb. 3 WR. Gave away the play and the play call itself was even dumber. Slant on a pick play? From the ONE? Too much can go wrong on a pass and it obviously did. Even if the WR catches the ball it doesn't look like he would have scored so.....3rd and goal from the 1 and they run it anyway. Incredible and unbelievable to get that close and just choke. Smarter than Belichick? Dumb dumb dumb.

I also run to grind clock if I don't make it.

But I can see the thought of passing, because it guarantees 3 shots.

If you run once they are going to lay on you and you're going to need to take a timeout or run around like nuts to get a play off.

This way you pass and either score or the clock stops, and you have 1 timeout to use after 3rd down if needed.

If you run once they are going to lay on you and you're going to need to take a timeout or run around like nuts to get a play off.

This way you pass and either score or the clock stops, and you have 1 timeout to use after 3rd down if needed.

25 seconds is a lot of time from the one yard line. You can run and call TO. That's 20 seconds left. You can run any play and still have plenty of time to line up and do whatever you want without overly rushing IF you cannot gain less than a yard on two running plays with the best short yardage RB and the best running QB in the league.

I just dont get... if they need to pass there, why not run a Play Action misdirection, try to get someone alone, if it doesnt work and the guy is covered, Wilson throws the ball into the 12th row?

According to reports, the Hawks ran Lynch from the 1 yard line 7 times this season for 1 touchdown & a net -1 yard gains overall, so that might have entered their thinking. Still, I would have run Lynch 3 times. And if he didn't score, you at least went with your heart and soul of the offense.

I just dont get... if they need to pass there, why not run a Play Action misdirection, try to get someone alone, if it doesnt work and the guy is covered, Wilson throws the ball into the 12th row?

That's what I would do.

Playaction or roll out (even better since Wilson is a dual threat).

I guess it doesn't "guarantee" three shots... lol

What I meant was more time mgt wise.

According to reports, the Hawks ran Lynch from the 1 yard line 7 times this season for 1 touchdown & a net -1 yard gains overall, so that might have entered their thinking. Still, I would have run Lynch 3 times. And if he didn't score, you at least went with your heart and soul of the offense.

I think it's easier if you lose going to your strength.

You just got beat in that instance. Instead, they played their 9 instead of their ace.

Probably?

I basically took 11 guys to keep Marshawn out from the 5 one play earlier. 3 cracks from the one = "probably"?

The only chance they had was if Marshawn fumbled or there was a bad exchange or something.

they did stop marshawn on a 3rd and 1 not long before. seattle might have some of that in their heads on the play call too. wouldnt be right, but its possible it was there. Edited by NoSaint

interesting. i figured it wasnt as automatic as most would assume but didnt think it would be 1 of 7. flip side is pats havent been very good in that spot.

25 seconds is a lot of time from the one yard line. You can run and call TO. That's 20 seconds left. You can run any play and still have plenty of time to line up and do whatever you want without overly rushing IF you cannot gain less than a yard on two running plays with the best short yardage RB and the best running QB in the league.

as the pats lay on top of you and the refs clear the pile to spot the ball and.... i think running and getting another play with 20 seconds and no time out is a closer call than you are letting on. i could be wrong, but i think its iffy at best. Edited by NoSaint

Interesting - good info.

interesting. i figured it wasnt as automatic as most would assume but didnt think it would be 1 of 7

as the pats lay on top of you and the refs clear the pile to spot the ball and.... i think running and getting another play with 20 seconds and no time out is a closer call than you are letting on.

The league scored 57% of the time running from the one, and NE Def was 81% against for worst in the league.

Interesting - good info.

The Seahawks ran Lynch 5 times from the 1. He scored once. This was inside the one.

The Patriots finished 28th in the league in run stuffing.

Lynch ran 24 times in the game and 22 times he gained a yard or more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/02/01/goal-line-play-calling-dooms-seahawks-hands-super-bowl-to-patriots/

Not going to lie. First thought that popped in my head was: Wow that's totally how i would have envisioned our 5th Superbowl lose.

That play literally reminded me of the last 15 years of being a BIlls fan. The only good thing was that it wasn't us....... but the Pats won...........

The Seahawks ran Lynch 5 times from the 1. He scored once. This was inside the one.

The Patriots finished 28th in the league in run stuffing.

Lynch ran 24 times in the game and 22 times he gained a yard or more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/02/01/goal-line-play-calling-dooms-seahawks-hands-super-bowl-to-patriots/

I can't say with certainty that they would have scored there by feeding Lynch, but the chances were high. A roll out by Wilson was a high percentage play too.

I try not to curse but I let the expletives fly after that play because I hate the Patriots so much. Why do they always get so lucky whether it is the refs just giving it to them or teams doing the most stupid things to give them wins? On second down and with a timeout there you try to punch it in first 10 out of 10 times and then pass the next play if it doesn't work! But that's the exact play Hackett and Marrone would have called there thinking they had to surprise the other team. Plus that receiver was awful on that play - the only thing you can't have is an INT so he should have been breaking up that pass. Didn't even make an attempt. Unbelievable.

Two things I hope come out of this...I think it is the last Super Bowl appearance for either team for 20 years. The Seahawks will implode after that one and their run of excellence is over. It's the kind of loss that does that. And the Pats are done as well. Their run of luck has to come to an end. I hope so anyway because I can't stand either team.

Edited by timtebow15

The pass call wasn't necessarily dumb. However, where the ball was thrown made no sense. The middle of the end zone was stacked for the run. So why throw it there if you're going to throw?

they got 2 WRs and 2 DBs outside. man up, with a planned pick and the linebacker going towards the opposite hash- it was about as unchallenged as you ever see that play. both DBs played it perfect and the qb and wr each left the play on the table for the defender.

its not like its a weird or rare play call in short yardage. we probably saw some variation on it 10 times last night between the two teams. the little underneath pick route is really common in this league. it just didnt work this time. its not like he threw it at 4 defenders.

Edited by NoSaint

sure it was a horrendous play call. but it had to be combined with equally horrendous execution for the outcome that we saw.

wilson had tunnel vision, hurried the throw and took no time to contemplate other options, which is what he does well.

IMHO he deserves most of the fallout for that INT.

would brady have done the same thing? would rogers?