All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the Seahawks run that play quite a bit in the red zone, and the pats had been practicing it all week. Malcolm butler got beat on it for a TD in practice. When he saw them line up in that formation, he was ready.

Also, apparently he was working at a Popeyes before he got signed this year.

Now doesn't this sound familiar?

Bevell needs to go back and look at the tape. "The look we wanted" had Butler lined up such that the rub Kearse tried to develop never happened. Knowing what was coming, Butler got a phenomenal jump on the route and blow up the receiver at the spot. And caught the ball as well.

Lockette is not Gronkowski. He's not going to pancake anyone there.

You're not going to get a flag in the Super Bowl either. Horrific call any way you look at it.

Bevell needs to go back and look at the tape. "The look we wanted" had Butler lined up such that the rub Kearse tried to develop never happened. Knowing what was coming, Butler got a phenomenal jump on the route and blow up the receiver at the spot. And caught the ball as well.

Lockette is not Gronkowski. He's not going to pancake anyone there.

You're not going to get a flag in the Super Bowl either. Horrific call any way you look at it.

Sure it has been said, but Browner made a great play there as well jamming Kearse.

Lynch should have scored on the previous play.

Carroll and Bevis were trying to get Wilson the MVP.

Wilson didn't have the experience to check out of the play - or his coaches don't have the confidence in him to do so.

Wilson threw a bad pass.

Lockette came up small.

Hey Pete! Remember this? [motions with his open hand several times to his throat]

serbs3.jpg

You might argue that the logic there doesnt include the danger of throwing the football and the downside of an interception, and thats true, but there are negative possibilities in every play call. In fact, this season it was more dangerous to run the football from the 1-yard line than it was to throw it. Before Sunday, NFL teams had thrown the ball 108 times on the opposing teams 1-yard line this season. Those passes had produced 66 touchdowns (a success rate of 61.1 percent, down to 59.5 percent when you throw in three sacks) and zero interceptions. The 223 running plays had generated 129 touchdowns (a 57.8 percent success rate) and two turnovers on fumbles.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/

Grantland on the risk of the play vs a run. the article is FIRMLY in the run the ball column but thought the stats on run vs pass were interesting one to include. Really nice recap article.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm kind of shocked Wilson actually threw the ball there. He should have just said to himself, that is a stupid play call and I'm not chancing it by throwing the ball and just kept it and ran it in for the score.

I have not reas this entire thread...but my son and I both looked at each other at said" Its the Tuel PLay"

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/

Grantland on the risk of the play vs a run. the article is FIRMLY in the run the ball column but thought the stats on run vs pass were interesting one to include. Really nice recap article.

I wonder what the success rate of running a rub and slant play to a 90# WR was against a defense expecting it. B-)

(Edit: I found he's listed at a generous 211#.)

Grantland on the risk of the play vs a run. the article is FIRMLY in the run the ball column but thought the stats on run vs pass were interesting one to include.

You also have to factor in the context of the game (you had just run from the 5 to the half yard line, the fact it was less than a yard, the kind of pass (much more chance for an INT), and the fact that you have the league's toughest runner and the league's best running QB.

Given the whole unlikely scenario of that play call with the Lombardi nearly in the Seahawks' grasp, it almost gives some credence to Kraft, Belichick and Brady having made a pact with the devil to win X number of Super Bowls. I'll have to look at the celebration photos to see if Satan is visible in any of them. ;-)

You also have to factor in the context of the game (you had just run from the 5 to the half yard line, the fact it was less than a yard, the kind of pass (much more chance for an INT), and the fact that you have the league's toughest runner and the league's best running QB.

definitely - wasnt trying to hide that and gave a strong disclaimer that it was a single stat out of an extensive article that was pro-run. But with so many comments on the risk of the pass there i thought that a quote showing the risk was about even, in a vacuum, was a good add to the discussion. your point was the following paragraph, which i wouldve quoted too if BB wouldnt yell at me for quoting too much.

Edited by NoSaint

definitely - wasnt trying to hide that and gave a strong disclaimer that it was a single stat out of an extensive article that was pro-run. But with so many comments on the risk of the pass there i thought that a quote showing the risk was about even, in a vacuum, was a good add to the discussion. your point was the following paragraph, which i wouldve quoted too if BB wouldnt yell at me for quoting too much.

You should go back to being just the very reasonable poster rather than the contrarian cop so I could agree with you 90% of the time like before. :lol:

the seahawks were lucky to even be there in the first place

they beat a lame panthers team who had a losing record

looked awful against the packers, who gave away the game

then when the coaching needed to come through on the 2 min drive to win the game they called 2 stupid timeouts, got to the 1 yard line by a fluke bomb catch, and tried to get cute with the last play and threw the whole season away.

Carrol is such a weenie. USC fans must have been cheering after all the mess he left there, then getting to see a coaching error cost Petie a championship.

I haven't read the entire thread because of the lengthy topic so I appologize if this has been discussed but the Seahawks also wasted 2 timeouts on their final drive. The first on a 2nd and 10 from the Patriots 49 and the second after the Kearse catch down to the 6. In both instances the game clock was stopped but the 40 second play clock was about to expire. The first on an incomplete pass and the second on a tackle out of bounds. Whether or not the playcall was delayed or the offense didn't line up fast enough this is simply unacceptable given the context of the Super Bowl and the situation. You have 40 seconds to get the play called and the offense set in the biggest game of the season and there's no sense of urgency so you need to waste 2 timeouts.

If they had all 3 or even 2 of their timeouts rather than 1 it might have impacted the 2nd and goal from the 1 call which resulted in the interception. That said, there was plenty of time on the playclock to run 3 plays from the 1 even if they chose to run Lynch 3 times. They blew it.

I haven't read the entire thread because of the lengthy topic so I appologize if this has been discussed but the Seahawks also wasted 2 timeouts on their final drive. The first on a 2nd and 10 from the Patriots 49 and the second after the Kearse catch down to the 6. In both instances the game clock was stopped but the 40 second play clock was about to expire. The first on an incomplete pass and the second on a tackle out of bounds. Whether or not the playcall was delayed or the offense didn't line up fast enough this is simply unacceptable given the context of the Super Bowl and the situation. You have 40 seconds to get the play called and the offense set in the biggest game of the season and there's no sense of urgency so you need to waste 2 timeouts.

If they had all 3 or even 2 of their timeouts rather than 1 it might have impacted the 2nd and goal from the 1 call which resulted in the interception. That said, there was plenty of time on the playclock to run 3 plays from the 1 even if they chose to run Lynch 3 times. They blew it.

Yep. I think the one was on the center though. Wilson was yelling for the ball and he wouldn't snap it and at the last second, Wilson called TO. It MAY have had an affect on the playcall but I doubt it.

You should go back to being just the very reasonable poster rather than the contrarian cop so I could agree with you 90% of the time like before. :lol:

its these threads where EVERYONE goes extreme that get me.

I agree it wasnt a great call, but will give some of the info on the other side. last night i was crazy for saying a pass wasnt absurd, and now its looking like people are coming around to it a little atleast.

Edited by NoSaint

I love Barnwell, and he has a nice footnote about guys like Dungy saying..." you just got 4 yards on the ground, run it again" ...but when a run gains 4 yards on a 3rd and 5, they kick the field goal..like McCarthy did 4 times