All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

Now doesn't this sound familiar?

Exactly...Expecting this kid to be Dez Bryant to the ball is a bit of a stretch to say the least...Especially considering the fact that, at least IMHO, Lynch was gong to get in that end-zone come hell or high water if he got the ball...Or at the very least...if you want to get cute...run some kind of fake/boot with Wilson having options...

This was just a stupid call and there's really no explaining it...If for no other reason then the fact that your asking your 5-11 QB to make a pinpoint pass in traffic at the goal-line against a team with some very talented DB's...So much can go wrong...It was just terrible, and I'm still amazed it happened... B-)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its these threads where EVERYONE goes extreme that get me.

I agree it wasnt a great call, but will give some of the info on the other side. last night i was crazy for saying a pass wasnt absurd, and now its looking like people are coming around to it a little atleast.

It was absurd. In addition to all the other points mentioned, the Pats were finished. Crazy catch by Kearse. Belichik didn't know whether to call a timeout. Pats D played the run from the 5 like they didn't know whether they should let Lynch score or not. They were done. Lynch would've walked in on the next play.

Mind boggling. To risk a throw in that situation with Marshawn Lynch in the backfield and one of the best running QB's ever over center?!?

Cute, waaaaaaaay too cute.

I'll say one thing for that ending, any fan of either team who didn't go into V-fib when that circus tipped-ball was caught had to have needed the paddles when that pick happened. Cardiac ICU's had to have been overrun with calls last night.

Edited by Mickey

Bevell needs to go back and look at the tape. "The look we wanted" had Butler lined up such that the rub Kearse tried to develop never happened. Knowing what was coming, Butler got a phenomenal jump on the route and blow up the receiver at the spot. And caught the ball as well.

Lockette is not Gronkowski. He's not going to pancake anyone there.

You're not going to get a flag in the Super Bowl either. Horrific call any way you look at it.

i like the call, but it's iffy with the physical Browner playing press on the rub man Kearse.. my 20/20 hindsight has Wilson changing Lockette's route to fake the inside slant, and running free to the corner B-)

I don't know... Seattle's offense had no consistency IMO

They hit big plays when they needed them but it never felt like that offense was in control. Brady, on the other hand, moved it up and down the field all night long.

And threw two interceptions. The Patriots in no way dominated that game. They were down by ten points in the fourth quarter before any circus catch. The other catches the Seahawks made were nice catches on nice throws that occur in every game.

Scott Norwood is happy right now.

Amen!

Norwood never deserved all the criticism.

This though...this call will never be surpassed as the worst call in the history of the NFL. You simply cannot have 1 yard to go to win the Super Bowl and not run the ball.

It wasnt only just a horrible play call, but poor execution on Wilson's part. Not surprising since he is way overrated as a passing QB. There were at least a few plays in the 2nd half where Wilson got greedy and tried to do too much with his arm instead of just relying on what got them there. For example, the 3rd and short play where he had the man open underneath on the Rub route, would have been an easy 1st down and kept the drive alive. Instead, he tries to air it out down the sideline with a poorly thrown jump ball, incomplete, kills the drive, no points.

Wilson should have thrown that last ball out of the end zone and they still would have been able to run the ball 2 more times since they still had a time out. What we saw was a complete disintegration of an Offense when they tried to get too cute and got away from what got them that far.

This was way worse than Wide Right, imo. I'm sick enough that I now have to live in a world where the Pats* are Super Bowl champs. I'd be absolutely disgusted if I were a Seahawks fan too.

The call was so bad an 8-year old could see it. I listened to Adam Carolla's podcast this AM. He recorded it at jimmy Kimmel/s house after the game last night. He had his twins there and they were on the podcast too. Even hisis son Sonny said why did they not run Lynch.

I don't think the receiver knew the defender was even near him.

agreed - i didnt get the impression he expected to get drilled and was instead ready to coast into the endzone, but didnt watch a reply since lastnight so im not the best source.

i like the call, but it's iffy with the physical Browner playing press on the rub man Kearse.. my 20/20 hindsight has Wilson changing Lockette's route to fake the inside slant, and running free to the corner B-)

It's horrific because of the situation. The one thing you absolutely cannot afford is an interception. It simply cannot happen.

There is aggressive calls and then there are stupid calls. This wasn't aggressive. It was stupid. It flushed a season's worth of hard work down the toilet.

It's horrific because of the situation. The one thing you absolutely cannot afford is an interception. It simply cannot happen.

There is aggressive calls and then there are stupid calls. This wasn't aggressive. It was stupid. It flushed a season's worth of hard work down the toilet.

Exactly. Aggressive was the call before halftime that got them the TD instead of the FG. This was just stupid.

I don't think the receiver knew the defender was even near him.

He assumed he was wide open, just like Lee Evans assumed no one was going to contest his AFCC winning TD a few years ago and Marlon McCree assumed his INT sealed a playoff game for the Chargers. There's a reason the Pats won all of those games, and it's because Belichick makes sure the guys who fail to exert 100% physically and mentally in crucial situations are almost never on his team.

Not that it excuses the play call, but when the Pats were given the slimmest of chances to save the game, they made the play.